Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Ford passed Toyota Initial Quality

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    However if a friend or someone from my family would tell me that a car is bad (or good) because he/she has experience with it, then I'd probably trust him/her.
    that I can concur to.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Wow... I didn't know airline reviews were in that site. Maybe it shouldn't be called carsurvey.org anymore!
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500 View Post
    Wow... I didn't know airline reviews were in that site. Maybe it shouldn't be called carsurvey.org anymore!
    having flown several times in a Tu-134 myself (albeit not operated by Aeroflot, but by Tajikistan Airways) I can only point at the prejudice with which this review had been written.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    having flown several times in a Tu-134 myself (albeit not operated by Aeroflot, but by Tajikistan Airways) I can only point at the prejudice with which this review had been written.
    One of my brothers used to fly and owned a plane for a while... 2-seater with a 200-hp engine. When he took it up, I remember his cruising speed was 110 mph. I went up with him two times and took some photos. He sold it after he got married.

One of my brothers used to fly and owned a plane for a while... 2-seater with a 200-hp engine. When he took it up, I remember his cruising speed was 110 mph. I went up with him two times and took some photos. He sold it after he got married.
    I fully fail to see how this post fits in this thread. It is an interesting snippet of information, but where is the link with "surveys"?

I fully fail to see how this post fits in this thread. It is an interesting snippet of information, but where is the link with "surveys"?
    Well, he has also been in commercial planes (not sure what company) so maybe he would know about the reviews.

Well, he has also been in commercial planes (not sure what company) so maybe he would know about the reviews.
    many people have been in commercial planes....I am about to embark one in four hours from now.....but I will not be writing a survey.

many people have been in commercial planes....I am about to embark one in four hours from now.....but I will not be writing a survey.
    Come on... write one!
    Actually, there are reviews of airlines in Consumer Reports. I forgot when the last one was done, but people (mostly suscribers) send in their reviews and ratings and result is published in the magazine.

and then we asked the question: What is it that makes you capable to judge whether a review is accurate or not? That question you still have not responded to.
    Rather than deviating into airlines, can you now come up with (at least the beginning of) an answer to the question I posed to you earlier?

Rather than deviating into airlines, can you now come up with (at least the beginning of) an answer to the question I posed to you earlier?
    I already did answer that. If a car owner's review matches other reviews and car magazine tests and reviews, it's probably accurate.

If a car owner give a terrible review for what is regarded to be a good car, or if he gives a great review for a terrible car, then he is probably very biased or just doesn't know any better.

When I was shopping for a car, I would never go by one single review, but all of them in general, but would still check many other sources.

I certainly hope that answers the question.

If a car owner give a terrible review for what is regarded to be a good car, or if he gives a great review for a terrible car, then he is probably very biased or just doesn't know any better.

I certainly hope that answers the question.
    so if you already know that a car is regarded (and the million dollar question is of course: "by whom") as a good or terrible car, why do you want to see individual reviews?

so your answer is rather inconclusive at best...

so if you already know that a car is regarded (and the million dollar question is of course: "by whom") as a good or terrible car, why do you want to see individual reviews?
    To learn about a car's weak spots. The "by whom" would be sources such as JD Powers, Edmunds, MSNBC car site, Consumer Reports and actual owners of said cars.

so your answer is rather inconclusive at best.
    I'll try yet again... those car survey sites such as carsuvey.org are far from having 100% accurate reviews. Or even 90 or 80%. But I personally learned a few useful facts when reading the reviews. That site, along with some other sources, made me decide against buying a Chrysler Cirrus (for my dad) and also persuaded me to buy a Lincoln Town Car for me.

I don't know what else I can say... reviews from car owners has helped me in some ways. Maybe they haven't helped you, or you don't believe any of the reivews, but each person here can decide for themselves.

Myself, I am glad I bought my TC... it has been just about as was described by car owners- right down to the fuel mileage.

To learn about a car's weak spots. The "by whom" would be sources such as JD Powers, Edmunds, MSNBC car site, Consumer Reports and actual owners of said cars.

so that is everybody...and still you need additional reviews? When you did your TC search what additional info resulted from individual reviews that was not already known via the sources you are quoting above?

so that is everybody...and still you need additional reviews? When you did your TC search what additional info resulted from individual reviews that was not already known via the sources you are quoting above?
    Yes, additional reviews... when I am going to spend thousands of dollars on a car, I want to make sure it's what I really want.

I learned from individual reviews things like the type of automatic transmission fluid to use... some types cause the trans to shudder, and there is a specific type which prevents that.
    Also, converting the air spring to conventional springs if a leak develops (I'm still not sure I would convert- I would probably retain the air springs).

I've also learned from individual reviews (and comments on TC message boards) that it is possible to get 25-28 mpg on long trips on the open road if you keep the speed down. I haven't got that much yet... my highest reading to date is 24.3 mpg, but I haven't taken any long trips in it.
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 06-25-2007 at 01:32 PM.

BTW, in case there are any other Town Car owners reading this, Mercon V is by far the most recommended transmission fluid to use.

Also mentioned was the EGR valve... they can clog up, so other owners suggest you keep an eye on it- especially if the car is due for a smog check.

Thread Information