Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes' New R8 Rival - Geneva Showing

Can Merc just stop doing these cars. Instead, use AMG as the brand, an independant subsidiary that makes focused racers of it's own without that tri-star badge.

maybe like AMG V8, V10 and V12. That would bring them easily to Porsche's turf with that kinda positioning and branding, and of course with AMG's engineering.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master View Post
    That would be Dubai, and with the sheer absence of weight and the huge power of that engine, I would highly expect it'd out accelerate an Enzo.

But that's also a modification, and really means diddly to Ferrari.
    I'm pretty confident that the SLK is heavier than the Enzo. And with this engine even more.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    300 SL Gullwing > This thing.
    300SL Gullwing > All...

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    300SL Gullwing > All...
    I can't agree with that, altough I do like the Gullwing.
    Visca Catalunya!

I can't agree with that, altough I do like the Gullwing.
    I think the Gullwing is one of the most beautiful cars ever. There are several that i love as well though, quite a few that i love more, but the 300SL is ageless and beautiful.

I think the Gullwing is one of the most beautiful cars ever. There are several that i love as well though, quite a few that i love more, but the 300SL is ageless and beautiful.
    Not only beautiful but a piece of engineering too.
    Visca Catalunya!

All the more reason to love it. 50 years on it still can't be regarded as slow or a poor car. . Their new car should be a spiritual successor to this, but without crapping all over the heritage, i may be in the minority but i think had to new SLR been lighter and more sporty it could've been a fitting successor to the old SLR. Alas it was too heavy, lets hope the same mistake is not made again.

All the more reason to love it. 50 years on it still can't be regarded as slow or a poor car. . Their new car should be a spiritual successor to this, but without crapping all over the heritage, i may be in the minority but i think had to new SLR been lighter and more sporty it could've been a fitting successor to the old SLR. Alas it was too heavy, lets hope the same mistake is not made again.
    I personally think that this is impossible within modern Mercedes-Benz. Any trace of focusedness has been since removed. All their sporty-ish cars are automatics and most aren't that sporty either, they are more autobahn cruisers. I personally doubt Mercedes-Benz can or is willing to make a car as focused as the old 300 SL Gullwing. They tried with the SLR, and that had McLaren's help, and they failed. I can't see how they can succeed now, or how would that fit within their range if they did.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm pretty confident that the SLK is heavier than the Enzo. And with this engine even more.
    So it just out accelerated it because of brute force right? That V-8 sure is potent.

I personally think that this is impossible within modern Mercedes-Benz. Any trace of focusedness has been since removed. All their sporty-ish cars are automatics and most aren't that sporty either, they are more autobahn cruisers. I personally doubt Mercedes-Benz can or is willing to make a car as focused as the old 300 SL Gullwing. They tried with the SLR, and that had McLaren's help, and they failed. I can't see how they can succeed now, or how would that fit within their range if they did.
    They're giving the focused sports car another try. Be optimistic for once. You haven't even seen the finished product yet and you're complaining already. I'll make you eat your words if it does come out a focused sports car.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    They're giving the focused sports car another try. Be optimistic for once. You haven't even seen the finished product yet and you're complaining already. I'll make you eat your words if it does come out a focused sports car.
    Do you want to bet it won't have a manual? I love that V8, but I prefer it in a CLS or a CLK.
    Visca Catalunya!

Ferrer, you seem only capable of giving engineering props to cars that also suit your taste. A bias perhaps? And since when dodo you like cars from that time period that aren't Italian?

I'm just messing with you man.

300SL Gullwing > All...
    I prefer the roadster.

Disc Brakes > Drum Brakes

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Ferrer, you seem only capable of giving engineering props to cars that also suit your taste. A bias perhaps? And since when dodo you like cars from that time period that aren't Italian?

Well desmodoronic vavles, mechanical direct fuel injection and a spaceframe chasis in the 1954 was quite something. Ok, so it was lacking in other aspects like the drum brakes or the 4-speed gearbox, but it still is quite something.
    Visca Catalunya!

Do you want to bet it won't have a manual? I love that V8, but I prefer it in a CLS or a CLK.
    I'm telling you.

Before it comes out.

You have got to stop whining.

Although you are right, as a product coming from Mercedes, the possibility that it is an automatic is higher.

I remain optimistic, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post

Don't you remember that he only likes Italian cars from the 60's and 70s'?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Don't you remember that he only likes Italian cars from the 60's and 70s'?
    And this is german and from the 50's. This is the end of the world as we know it...!
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information