Page 4 of 101 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: The Technical Questions Thread

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    but it looks rather suboptimal to me...
    Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    flathead and pushrod is sub-optimal !

There are more types of Flathead Ford intakes than you could shake a stick at!

http://www.earlyford.no/32ford/index.php

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e.../photo_27.html
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    not "literally" two V8s bolted together. In the same way the AM V12 is two duratec V6s's bolted together, the point is you
    -cass the extended block and cylinder heads
    -redesign the crankshaft for balance and power delivery
    -alter the camshaft timing programme
    ...plus loads of other less major design issues.

A funny comparison could be the V16T which uses two transverse Ferrari v8s with a longitudonal central output shaft
    If you look at it that way then it is difficult to say that any multi cylinder engine isn't in fact multiple smaller engines put together...

There all just rearranged singles in the end
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

your right there ht99
    autozine.org

I have another question:

Can a rock float?

I know that floating deals with density, so if a rock has a low enough density, it should float right?

Yep. Pumice does. Its ejected from volcanoes and contains a lot of trapped gas
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    Yep. Pumice does. Its ejected from volcanoes and contains a lot of trapped gas
    Indeed. The density of water is 1 kg / dm^3. Anything with a lower density can float !

If the gasses inside the rock make the desity below that, it will float.

The density is calculated as following:

rho (density) = m / V

m = mass
    V = Volume

Hope this helps.

Actually anything can float regardless of the density of the material... The only requirement to float is that you displace a greater mass of water then you have.

Example: A solid 1kg block of steel will not float because it displaces alot less than 1kg of water with it's volume.

However if you mould that same 1kg block of steel into a hollow sphere that has a volume greater than 1L then it will float...

its called the law of bouyancy.

Basically the bouyant force (what makes you float) is equal to the mass of the fluid displaced....

Make the steel sphere big enough and it will float in air...

but you would have to make it roughly 0.84 cubic meters...
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it

Thanks a lot for the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    Actually anything can float regardless of the density of the material... The only requirement to float is that you displace a greater mass of water then you have.

Example: A solid 1kg block of steel will not float because it displaces alot less than 1kg of water with it's volume.

However if you mould that same 1kg block of steel into a hollow sphere that has a volume greater than 1L then it will float...
    True, but the original definition is still correct. If you divide the mass of the block of steel by the total volume of the sphere you should still end up with an effective density less than that of water.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    True, but the original definition is still correct. If you divide the mass of the block of steel by the total volume of the sphere you should still end up with an effective density less than that of water.
    Yeah but then you would cheating yourself...

Did you actualy change the density of the steel? No.

Does steel have a higher density than water? Yes.

I think you see where I am going with this...

The original definition should be changed to include "effective density" instead of just density...

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    Yeah but then you would cheating yourself...

Did you actually change the density of the steel? No.

Does steel have a higher density than water? Yes.

I think you see where I am going with this...

The original definition should be changed to include "effective density" instead of just density...
    Look at Pumice. It floats because it has a large number of voids that result in an effective density less than water. However, some Pumice has less voids and therefore a higher density and won’t float. But regardless the density is calculated using the total volume (including voids).

If you have a block of steel and it is reshaped into a large sphere. Then the density should change because the volume has changed. The equation of density = mass / volume does not define any limitations on total or material volume. Either can be chosen and the equation is valid.

It comes down to the user to understanding what the result is. In the case of buoyancy the concern is with total volume not just material volume. So to use an “effective density” is not cheating, it is the correct use of the equation for this application.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

Pumice stays the same density itself in both cases right?
    then the density of pumice didn't change only the relative density did... I was simply pointing out that material density doesn't matter and doesn't change as opposed to relative density.

I am not trying to argue with you, you are right...

Also in the density equation you must decide first whether to use material mass and volume or total mass and volume... you cannot mix and match.

and my referrance to cheating was meant to referr to the fact that you seem to want to hold onto the notion that "things must have a lower density than water to float in it" rather than excepting that the law of bouyancy is only defined by the ability to displace a greater mass of the fluid you wish to float in then the mass of the object you wish to float. Direct material density has nothing to do with bouyancy. You are correct that relative (ie effective) density is what it is all about...

Basically we are argueing over what amounts to semantics and I simply mean that the basic definition of bouyancy creates less confusion then stating that things most be less dense then water to float in water...

Microsoft Word Help

Here's another question.

Every time I finish a sentence in the program, I skip two spaces. However, ever since I reinstalled it, now it skips more than two spaces.

Can someone help me with this please?

Thanks.

is it word 2003, 2007?
    autozine.org

Thread Information