Page 53 of 101 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast

Thread: The Technical Questions Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    Reduces tyre wear when the load in light enough that they are not needed
    afaik they are there so to change the axle when a tire got a puncture, which ain't an easy thing to replace as you can imagine.
    My father used to drive them, and I remember he told me something like that when I was a kid.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco View Post
    Reduces tyre wear when the load in light enough that they are not needed
    Cool. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LeonOfTheDead View Post
    afaik they are there so to change the axle when a tire got a puncture, which ain't an easy thing to replace as you can imagine.
    My father used to drive them, and I remember he told me something like that when I was a kid.
    I guess, but I don't think every axle lifts right?

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Cool. Thanks.

I guess, but I don't think every axle lifts right?
    I'd say both or all can, why not?
    Will ask him again.
    KFL Racing Enterprises - Kicking your ass since 2008

*cough* http://theitalianjunkyard.blogspot.com/ *cough*

Will ask him again.
    If every rear axle lifted, wouldn't that mean that the truck just got lowered?

Will ask him again.
    In the US typically only the forward most of three axles will lift. I think they lift for a few reasons. Reduction in wear is one reason. Another would be manuverability. Having all three axles down hurts the truck's ability to turn. Yet aother would be regulations and cost. Some tolls are based on the number of axles. Other times there is a legal limit to the weight allowed per tire. Adding tires when needed allows them to meet the limits.

Triaxles really scrub out their tyres in tight turns, it just peels the rubber right off them. So less wear and less drag when unladen. Either the #2 or #4 axle can be lifted, it depends on the setup. Also iirc there are limits to the number of axles that apply in certain areas.

In Oz here's the approved method for saving the steer axle...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by nota; 12-19-2009 at 09:33 PM.

VTEC just kicked in, yo!

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    In the US typically only the forward most of three axles will lift. I think they lift for a few reasons. Reduction in wear is one reason. Another would be manuverability. Having all three axles down hurts the truck's ability to turn. Yet aother would be regulations and cost. Some tolls are based on the number of axles. Other times there is a legal limit to the weight allowed per tire. Adding tires when needed allows them to meet the limits.
    Makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    Triaxles really scrub out their tyres in tight turns, it just peels the rubber right off them. So less wear and less drag when unladen. Either the #2 or #4 axle can be lifted, it depends on the setup. Also iirc there are limits to the number of axles that apply in certain areas.

In Oz here's the approved method for saving the steer axle...
    Yeah, that makes sense too.

Thanks guys!

Does pulling a car out of gear without putting in the clutch have any negative effects on the components of the gearbox?
    It makes double clutching much easier but fear for the transmission prevents me from doing it regularly.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Maybe some slight wear on the components as they'd still be under stress and pressure as youre disengaging
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Does pulling a car out of gear without putting in the clutch have any negative effects on the components of the gearbox?
    It makes double clutching much easier but fear for the transmission prevents me from doing it regularly.
    i dont think so. a lot of race drivers only use the clutch on the way down through the gears. as long as you are pulling it out with a little bit of gas put on, it shouldn't put stress on the gears or the engine. and if you rev match well, you don't need the clutch to put it in gear. and it does save wear and tear on your clutch as well.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

So, yesterday i was with a friend looking at his Focus and i came across something that i can't yet understand, connected to the turbo intake pipe there's another pipe that comes from the top of the engine, we disconected the intake pipe right after the airbox and it had a fair bit of oil in it.

So what do you guys think it's for?

The engine is a PSA 1.6hdi, and for what i've seen this pipe exists in all it's variants.

The red circle is around the pipe i don't know what is for and the blue circle is where we disconnected from the airbox and found some oil inside.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ruim20; 02-19-2010 at 07:33 AM.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

nice

that's really nice. anyone know of a good obd II?

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20 View Post
    So, yesterday i was with a friend looking at his Focus and i came across something that i can't yet understand, connected to the turbo intake pipe there's another pipe that comes from the top of the engine, we disconected the intake pipe right after the airbox and it had a fair bit of oil in it.

So what do you guys think it's for?

The engine is a PSA 1.6hdi, and for what i've seen this pipe exits in all it's variants.

The red circle is around the pipe i don't know what is for and the blue circle is where we disconnected from the airbox and found some oil inside.
    It looks like an oil breather pipe. Theyre usually used to heat up the intake charge, which usually helps with emissions and fuel burn.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    It looks like an oil breather pipe. Theyre usually used to heat up the intake charge, which usually helps with emissions and fuel burn.
    It could well be and it would explain the oil found, thanks
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Thread Information