Page 90 of 101 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 1501

Thread: The Technical Questions Thread

^ unless it's an auto i guess?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

As longas all four wheels are on the ground, it'll be fine. However, certain 4WD and all AWD vehicles can get their transfer cases destroyed if only two wheels are left on the ground. Jeeps and Subarus get destroyed all the time this way. Ever heard the story of the GTR that got destroyed doing that?
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

clutch, with an auto there's still next to no load and the planetary gears will just spin away. Not generating much heat I'd say. Magnum spot on tho', on only two wheels then there are LOTS of loads going on in the centre diff that'll generate oodles of heat !!

BUT does remind me that auto gears often run pressurised lubrication Without engine running there could be major wear issues !! So, I've changed my mind. It's now a "depends" on how far, how long and how the box is lubricated -- so safer saying NO
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Agreed, it's a rare breed of auto trans which is able to maintain proper lubrication without engine running. But I am not sure of the "automated manuals".
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

i always got told with auto's not to tow them with the drive wheels on the road!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i always got told with auto's not to tow them with the drive wheels on the road!
    Correct! There's precious few which can be. You either needed to drop the drive axles or raise the drive wheels off the ground. Search a little though and a lot of RV websites will list what vehicles are capable of being "flat-towed" with an auto trans.

Very, very, very cool: Honda RC174 Six Motorcycyle - Motorcyclist Magazine

On an unrelated note: why can't rotaries run synthetic oils?
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post

he might have been cheaper off just building the Protar 1/9 scale kit, like I did many moons ago.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post

Wow, that's excessive attention to detail. The fact that it was so difficult to replicate even today shows of the craftsmanship of the original.

Man, Soichiro Honda was a genius.

Incredible...

Was lucky to hear the original beauty rev to 16K at Isle of Man a few years back on Honda's 50th anniversary. Lots of their key race bikes were specially brought from the factory and run in public. Each bike had it's own mechanic

Would love to see this and maybe it will make an appearance at TT time and get revved out to it's max ( beyond 20K )

Rotaries that use the lubrication oil to keep the tips lubed can't run SOME synthetics as they cause too much carbon build up. Carbon build up can destroy a tip. The term "synthetic" is abused tho and so I run the race car on FUCHS race oil which is labelled "Synthetic" but is perfectly safe ! Go figure. Opie oil dealer had an excellent write up on the differences for us rotary runners. If you really need tech info I can maybe dig it out ??

and on the
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

the car i've picked up runs great on lpg but terrible when i flick it back to petrol (especially under load).
    thoughts?
    i'm running injector cleaner through it now just in case, but atm i'm thinking crappy fuel filter from it sitting too long..

Either that or the computer is having a hard time re-learning its running strategy. Usually should pretty much get there after an hour's worth of driving, though. Maybe pull the plugs and make sure there's no undue fouling or anything.

Fuel pressure ok? Does it feel like it's starving, choking or just not firing?
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

LPG has higher energy density and higher octane than petrol, so when you switch back to petrol, the ECU will tell the engine to run leaner, which will only be made worse under load. Completing a drive cycle should get it back to normal. Any problems with your fuel system will compound the problem too, so change your fuel filter while your at it.
    "Don't think your time on bad things
    Just float your little mind around"
    Jimi Hendrix

Thread Information