Thread: Ghia 1500 GT

Ghia 1500 GT

Launched in 1962 on the basis of a Fiat 1500 C, the Ghia 1500 Coupe was a nice two seater with reasonable performance figures. Compared to the Fiat, it had a shortened wheelbase, and the power of the 1500 cc engine was increased to 84 BHP. Thanks to its slippery shape a top speed of 170 kph was possible.

The Ghia name is linked with many exciting designs from the fifties and sixties, but the 1500 was probably the most successful car that Ghia tried to sell under its own name. Some years before the 1500 the L6.4 was presented on the basis of Chrysler mechanicals, but only 26 were made. This car was later followed by the 450 SS, which reached a production of only 12 units.

The 1500 though remained in production for five years until 1967 and about 925 were made. It has been employed in sporty events, but most of time it was purely used for the road. Shown here are two examples, one that made an appearance during the 2006 Villa D’Este Concours, and the other was shown at a recent Interclassics show. According to the (then) seller this car regularly sees classic racing action and power has been increased to 96 BHP, allowing for a top speed of well over 180 kph.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

What was the asking price of then-on-sale car? If you can remember of course...

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    What was the asking price of then-on-sale car? If you can remember of course...
    No, I did not ask...and the car is also no longer featured in the stock of the seller.
    http://www.martinwillems.nl
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

This car was sold along time before this post was placed.
    But there are still several cars like this for sale in Europe.

More info can be found at : Ghia 1500 GT

Cool site, welcome to UCP!

can someone tell me what the bag in picture #2, located in the bottom left corner is for? it has a tube running out. My closest guess is windshield wiper fluid...?
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    can someone tell me what the bag in picture #2, located in the bottom left corner is for? it has a tube running out. My closest guess is windshield wiper fluid...?
    correct.

Oh, Pieter, you have mentioned the L6.4... Are there any cars still alive?
    Last edited by faksta; 09-13-2007 at 06:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Oh, Pieter, you have mentioned the L6.4... Are there any cars still alive?
    yes, I think so, but I have only come across older Dual Ghias so far.

Why would they use a plastic bag as opposed to a plastic bin for the fluid? Was it the style for this brand of car at the time?
    -Carrol Shelby

Why would they use a plastic bag as opposed to a plastic bin for the fluid? Was it the style for this brand of car at the time?
    more flexibility?

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    It actually wasn't that uncommon. The original Ford Mustang (and a few other Fords) had a bag for the washer fluid. IIRC, they switched to a plastic bin after only one year, but I'm not sure, and I can't find reference to it anywhere right now. As to the why, I can't really say. Perhaps bags have better drainage (they can drain to a point as opposed to having a flat bottom).

Attached is a photo of the engine bay of a 1965 Ford Falcon Ranchero; you can just see the washer fluid bag in the lower right.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA) View Post
    Perhaps bags have better drainage (they can drain to a point as opposed to having a flat bottom).
    If that were the reason, couldnt they also put a funnel at the bottom of a plastic bit to collect the fluid. The bottom pan could also be angled like a sink to help the problem.

The point is, I cant see an advantage the bag has over the bin.
    But it isnt like it matters a hole lot, just a ponder.
    -Carrol Shelby

Thread Information