Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Group versus Ford Group

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Ford group for me. I have a lot of criticisms, but a lot of vehicles I like a lot too. Porsche/Bently/Lomborghini/Bugatti are nice, but just too snobby to be counted in, and while I think VWs are great cars, they're just not for me. The people I know that like VWs are... different. Insecure, thin and pale.

Ford on the other hand (and I won't count Jaguar) has Volvo and a controlling interest in Mazda. Ford has some good cars themselves, such as the new Mustang, Focus, FordGT, Falcon. Its unfortunate they're carshing and burning financially. I'm expecting big changes to their brand lineup.

Ford is the clear winner to me still though.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by Aftermarket View Post
    İt doesnt matter but..Ok, lets say "P group". But ı dont understand "Brand image?"
    Best way to explain it is by using an example. Since you give no arguments or whatever I assumed you were lead by this

What is the first thing that comes to your mind, when you see a BMW on the street ? I bet it is sporty, quality or something like that. What is it for a VW ? I bet it ain't that, but more like, boring, conservative, something along those lines...

Now THAT is generated by the brands on purpose, it is called brand image. Sometimes it is created by their styling, sometimes by racing successes, or a combination of other factors.

Because of those things, you usually get a brighter view of a certain brand and might lose the objectivity...

Same goes for governments and other companies...

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Best way to explain it is by using an example. Since you give no arguments or whatever I assumed you were lead by this

What is the first thing that comes to your mind, when you see a BMW on the street ? I bet it is sporty, quality or something like that. What is it for a VW ? I bet it ain't that, but more like, boring, conservative, something along those lines...

Now THAT is generated by the brands on purpose, it is called brand image. Sometimes it is created by their styling, sometimes by racing successes, or a combination of other factors.

Because of those things, you usually get a brighter view of a certain brand and might lose the objectivity...

Same goes for governments and other companies...
    A Volkswagen Fox is hardly the most exciting car in the world...

In fact Volkswagen (at least normal versions) have neve been particularly exciting. They have always been the safe choice, you knew you had an all-rounder but that rarely excelled on anything.

I personally prefer something more special.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm going with Vag on this, clear choice for me, european brand vs american, vag as better cars, engines, looks, build quality, the only decent fords are european enginered ones.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    A Volkswagen Fox is hardly the most exciting car in the world...

In fact Volkswagen (at least normal versions) have neve been particularly exciting. They have always been the safe choice, you knew you had an all-rounder but that rarely excelled on anything.

I personally prefer something more special.

I think that was the point he was actually making... Or did I miss something?

Anyway, sod those two, Fiat group for me.

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini View Post

I think that was the point he was actually making... Or did I miss something?

Anyway, sod those two, Fiat group for me.
    I think he was saying that it's just a perception. And I was saying that it's not only a perception but the reality. Or at least that's what I understood.
    Visca Catalunya!

In 1991-94 Mercedes was able to successfully sell an absolute stripper version of their small 190E sedan in Oz, for similar $$ to spacious luxury-model 6cyl/V8 Fords or Holdens

The local 'prestige' models were entirely adequate and functional high-specification cars offering lots of power and heaps of luxury equipment. In sharp contrast that particular Benz (called the 180E) was chronically underpowered via an asthmatic 1800cc 4-banger, plus it had bare vinyl seats, no airco, manual windows and plastic hubcaps. Even a radio was optional!

Yet many people still lined up and chose to buy the stark and comparitively miserable 180E because of the Brand Power of the M-B badge

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    In 1991-94 Mercedes was able to successfully sell an absolute stripper version of their small 190E sedan in Oz, for similar $$ to spacious luxury-model 6cyl/V8 Fords or Holdens

The local 'prestige' models were entirely adequate and functional high-specification cars offering lots of power and heaps of luxury equipment. In sharp contrast that particular Benz (called the 180E) was chronically underpowered via an asthmatic 1800cc 4-banger, plus it had bare vinyl seats, no airco, manual windows and plastic hubcaps. Even a radio was optional!

Yet many people still lined up and chose to buy the stark and comparitively miserable 180E because of the Brand Power of the M-B badge
    why would people buy an A-class Mercedes in the first place?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    why would people buy an A-class Mercedes in the first place?
    It's not even a real merc...
    Visca Catalunya!

Because a star in the bonnet means more, for some people, than having a real car. In what concerns the question: VAG for me, except Land Rover...
    orangeferrari.blog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ant View Post
    VAG for me, except Land Rover...
    Ford is about to sell that anyway...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Yes, Ford is thinking about selling Land Rover and already sold Aston Martin.

Meanwhile, Porsche just bought Volkswagen right? So because Porsche is with Volkwagen, Volkwagen wins for me.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Yes, Ford is thinking about selling Land Rover and already sold Aston Martin.
    Not only Land Rover, but Jaguar too. And maybe even Volvo as well.
    Visca Catalunya!

Not only Land Rover, but Jaguar too. And maybe even Volvo as well
    Yes...european brands are not Ford's speciality, as it seems...who will buy Land Rover? Any clues? Fiat?
    orangeferrari.blog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Not only Land Rover, but Jaguar too. And maybe even Volvo as well.
    I was going to put down Jaguar in my list too, but I wasn't too sure of it. Your post confirms it. Ford's really stupid. Why would they sell off the only brands that could potentially make money fast? How come they don't get rid of Mercury or Lincoln? They seem to be useless oafs than anything else. And, their products seem to conflict a lot anyway. The Mercury Milan, Ford Fusion, and Lincoln Zephyr (their newer names escape my mind, that's how interesting they are) are all practically the same cars with shuffled options and stuff. If you got rid of one or two marques you wouldn't have to confuse the consumers. How stupid of Ford.

Thread Information