Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Volkswagen Group versus Ford Group

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    If you got rid of one or two marques you wouldn't have to confuse the consumers. How stupid of Ford.
    Their average consumer probably has no idea Ford ever owned Jaguar or Land Rover, nor that they used to own Aston Martin or do own at least a lot of Mazda. I wouldn't be surprised if many didn't even know that Lincoln/Mercury were together, inside of Ford.

EDIT: Sad, but as I said - wouldn't be surprised if it was true
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

I was going to put down Jaguar in my list too, but I wasn't too sure of it. Your post confirms it. Ford's really stupid. Why would they sell off the only brands that could potentially make money fast? How come they don't get rid of Mercury or Lincoln? They seem to be useless oafs than anything else. And, their products seem to conflict a lot anyway. The Mercury Milan, Ford Fusion, and Lincoln Zephyr (their newer names escape my mind, that's how interesting they are) are all practically the same cars with shuffled options and stuff. If you got rid of one or two marques you wouldn't have to confuse the consumers. How stupid of Ford.
    Because you can't sell Lincoln or Mercury since they are to linked to Ford products as you state. And the other option which is closing down the brand isn't really an option since it costs a lot of money and Ford hasn't got any.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

ford; they have decent cars at reasonable prices, with some suprising bang for buck value (GTi same price as 400hp falcon GT)
    VAG is simply a supplier of dull, lifeless, overpriced lemons
    both sides have their exceptions
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Firstly the Ford group has nice cars that can compare to its european rivals like the new mondeo or the s max but most of their cars lack quality and they also have some good companys.
    For the VW group they have quality thats why they are expensive, and own alot of Big name companys e.g. audi etc. . In a episode of top gear jeremy said everything is done better by europeans.
    It's really hard to compare these 2 together. so its up to you guys to decide
    Last edited by billabong2; 06-14-2007 at 06:24 PM.

Originally Posted by drakkie
    Being lead by brand image is never too good of a thing..
    Being lead by a brand image is very good for companies like BMW and VAG because many people buy a BMW car just because it is a BMW. Many people buy an Audi car just because it is an Audi.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ View Post
    Their average consumer probably has no idea Ford ever owned Jaguar or Land Rover, nor that they used to own Aston Martin or do own at least a lot of Mazda. I wouldn't be surprised if many didn't even know that Lincoln/Mercury were together, inside of Ford.

EDIT: Sad, but as I said - wouldn't be surprised if it was true
    But they can actually produce profits. Aston Martin was doing its best under Ford. Why sell it when you're turning out profits? Try fixing your other marques first.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Because you can't sell Lincoln or Mercury since they are to linked to Ford products as you state. And the other option which is closing down the brand isn't really an option since it costs a lot of money and Ford hasn't got any.
    Closing it down might cost money, but leaving them open will cost more, especially when your products, which Lincoln, Ford and Mercury all share, are uninspiring.

Motortrend's most recent issue has the Ford Interceptor concept, which they say might save the company. What do you think about it?

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    ford; they have decent cars at reasonable prices, with some suprising bang for buck value (GTi same price as 400hp falcon GT)
    VAG is simply a supplier of dull, lifeless, overpriced lemons
    both sides have their exceptions
    So I guess Audi and Porsche are overpriced lemons too?

don't bring porsche into this.
    and yes to audi.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

don't bring porsche into this.
    and yes to audi.
    I forgot that your father owns a 996 GT3.

I forgot that your father owns a 996 GT3.
    well, i took this comparison at face value, as in VAG - Volkswagen and Audi only, not lamborghini and the like, and ford - ford only, not mazda etc .

well, i took this comparison at face value, as in VAG - Volkswagen and Audi only, not lamborghini and the like, and ford - ford only, not mazda etc .
    Fair enough.

The whole car industry is being run like a franchise.
    Every time one of the global grabbers takes over a previously successful and established car company you sit and think what the heck ? Why not just change the name to whoever the mother company is?
    Badges on bonnets nowadays seem to me just to be ornaments reminding us of bygone days. Sure a Rolls with a VeeWobbleyou on it's nose will look a bit quaint but it sure is getting weird out there. The previous icon of the British motor industry now virtually manufactured in Germany. Is it still "By appointment to Her Royal Majesty" ??
    Back to the Ford vs VW. I just feel that the PVAG is a much better administered organisation. We have enormous Ford and VW plants in Uitenhage, South Africa and both have been around for decades. Yet I look at a Ford built here as a "local" whilst for some reason I still feel theres a bit of Black Forest cake in our local VeeDubs.
    Bugattitude
    "Nothing is too beautiful, nothing is too expensive"
    Ettore Bugatti

Not only Land Rover, but Jaguar too. And maybe even Volvo as well.
    and if they can they will sell Ford
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Closing it down might cost money, but leaving them open will cost more, especially when your products, which Lincoln, Ford and Mercury all share, are uninspiring.

Motortrend's most recent issue has the Ford Interceptor concept, which they say might save the company. What do you think about it?
    Trust me, closing down brands costs an insane amount money. It isn't just a matter of stop producing cars.
    Volkswagen is definitely overpriced when compared to Ford. The Focus ST costs 23.950 € and the Golf GTI 27.990€.
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    and if they can they will sell Ford
    LOL

That would actually make for a great sniffpetrol article, "Ford tries to sell Ford"...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

In fact Volkswagen (at least normal versions) have neve been particularly exciting.

I personally prefer something more special.
    Ford then?
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

Thread Information