Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A Nissan Skyline GT-R is like a 1.8T because it never loses.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Except for that it was not the same car and it was most certainly not based on the R8C. The only component that was used from Audi was the engine block. There were also two distinct versions of the Bentley, with the winning car being considerably different from the one used in the previous two years. Audi obviously did support the project, but saying it's pretty much Audi does not really do the car justice.
    The 2003 Le Mans winning car did have some R8C characteristics, as said by its own designer, a man called Peter something else.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    The 2003 Le Mans winning car did have some R8C characteristics, as said by its own designer, a man called Peter something else.
    Yes a roof. Peter Elleray. The Radical SR9 also has Bentley Speed 8 characteristics. Does that make it a Bentley?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Yes a roof. Peter Elleray. The Radical SR9 also has Bentley Speed 8 characteristics. Does that make it a Bentley?
    Nope because unlike the Bentley the Radical didn't have help from Audi technicians, Audi drivers, Audi money, Audi engine. Even in 2003 Audi themselves didn't enter a works team, and instead told Joest to help Bentley.
    Visca Catalunya!

Nope because unlike the Bentley the Radical didn't have help from Audi technicians, Audi drivers, Audi money, Audi engine. Even in 2003 Audi themselves didn't enter a works team, and instead told Joest to help Bentley.
    out of all these things, beginning with Audi, only the engine forms part of the car.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Is an Alfa Romeo P3 a Ferrari?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    out of all these things, beginning with Audi, only the engine forms part of the car.....
    And I have never seen an Audi R8 with a four litre V8.

(Ted Joans)

Yes but, and I'm guessing here, I think that development wouldn't have been so fast and so successful if Audi hadn't played a hand in it. I know it's cynical, but I can help thinking this Bentley operation is nothing more than a marketing exercise. I wish I was wrong.
    And I have never seen an Audi R8 with a four litre V8.
    Ok so it was enlarged, but it still was the "same" engine.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yes but, and I'm guessing here, I think that development wouldn't have been so fast and so successful if Audi hadn't played a hand in it. I know it's cynical, but I can help thinking this Bentley operation is nothing more than a marketing exercise. I wish I was wrong.
    All motorsport is a marketing exercise, but Bentley (VAG) did not go the easy way by repainting the R8...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

All motorsport is a marketing exercise, but Bentley (VAG) did not go the easy way by repainting the R8...
    Yes but, in this case even more so. At least Audi was comitted in the long term. Bentley won and then was retired. In a way it reminds me of the Maserati MC12 operation.
    Visca Catalunya!

I know it's cynical, but I can help thinking this Bentley operation is nothing more than a marketing exercise. I wish I was wrong.
    Hahahaha. Race on Sunday, buy on Monday really wasn't invented by Audi.

(Ted Joans)

Yes but, in this case even more so. At least Audi was comitted in the long term. Bentley won and then was retired. In a way it reminds me of the Maserati MC12 operation.
    Why? Was the Speed 8 illegal from the get go?

(Ted Joans)

Why? Was the Speed 8 illegal from the get go?
    Yes very...

No, in the rebadge, win and retire the factory team.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yes very...

that was what the marketing budget allowed.....they wanted a win and they got it. Aston won the GT1 class this year at LeMans. It was the factory team's only race and they will now send the winning car around the world to show it to the public. It is unlikely to race again this, as it had not done before LeMans...

that was what the marketing budget allowed.....they wanted a win and they got it. Aston won the GT1 class this year at LeMans. It was the factory team's only race and they will now send the winning car around the world to show it to the public. It is unlikely to race again this, as it had not done before LeMans...
    Didn't it race in the ALMS?
    Visca Catalunya!

Yes very...

What car did the Bentley share its chassis and engine with then? Three years is a very normal period for a racing program. The current Peugeot program is three years. The Maserati is still racing and in the only series it was accepted, full factory teams are not allowed. Does it really hurt that much to admit you are wrong for once?

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information