Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower Suspension

Lower Suspension

I have a '98 Sunfire -black- which i totally love and recently have come to think about lowering it, not much.. just by 1" or 1.5". Mainly because i don't like the look of the huge gap in the back and front between the tires and the body. Im not really looking to make it handle like its on rails just to lower it really..so my question is...What's the best way to lower it in my case? What would be the best thing to buy for this.
    "'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'

Buy bigger tires/wheels.

DUBS FTW

It's better than buying aftermarket 'cause people will either think that: a. you're a stupid ricer, or b. you've got some serious s**t under the hood. Unfortunately most of the people people will probably choose a.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    Buy bigger tires/wheels.

DUBS FTW

It's better than buying aftermarket 'cause people will either think that: a. you're a stupid ricer, or b. you've got some serious s**t under the hood. Unfortunately most of the people people will probably choose a.
    I will be buying bigger tires...17" Im thinking with nice sized tires not super low profile cause i hate the look of those. But yes i know people will think im a ricer and I can deal with that....but for lowering it shoudl i go with just shorter springs...coilovers...or an entire new suspension setup. *currently im thinking of just shorter springs

If you go for bigger tyres overall, you'll need to recalibrate your speedometer. If you go for bigger rims, but similar circumferance tyres then you'll still have the same visual problem you have now.

To actually lower the car, the simplest solution is to get shorter springs made.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    To actually lower the car, the simplest solution is to get shorter springs made.
    Not to forget the shocks ! Koni offers a very nice range of good quality lowering kits. Check it out.

Shocks dont really matter though considering he's not after a performance application. He could go for some shocks tuned for the new ride height, but for just the visual effect its alot of $$$ that doesnt necessarily need to be spent.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Shocks dont really matter though considering he's not after a performance application. He could go for some shocks tuned for the new ride height, but for just the visual effect its alot of $$$ that doesnt necessarily need to be spent.
    Well if he doesn't change the shocks then he has to watch out for speed bumps and try to drive alittle slower over any bumps because with only shortened springs he runs the chance of blowing out his shocks.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Yeah, just cutting the springs down is not going to help one bit. Getting a performance suspension that includes lowering the car would be the easiest way to do it, but he doesn't want the performance.

Well its not that i dont want the performance...just wasnt sure if you can lower the car without getting the full sport suspesion setup safely or not. Thanks for the input though guys

Get a spring/shock kit. Eibach makes affordable, quality stuff for just about everything.

DON'T cut your springs or get $100 coil sleeves off eBay.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    Get a spring/shock kit. Eibach makes affordable, quality stuff for just about everything.

DON'T cut your springs or get $100 coil sleeves off eBay.
    No balls.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    No balls.
    Probably a good thing. Do you really wan't a bunch of little Quiggs running around?
    Go n-ithe an cat thu, is go n-ithe an diabhal an cat

When you go Home, Tell them for us and say 'For your tommorrow, We Gave Our Today.'

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    No balls.
    And here I thought I'd finally rid myself of you. <3
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv View Post
    Probably a good thing. Do you really wan't a bunch of little Quiggs running around?
    Would that be so bad? A bunch of 1.8T worshipping, .:R32 hat wearing, malt beverage drinking hellions would be great.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

To be honest if you just want to drop it 1" (roughly 25.4mm) then you should be fine with a set of quality springs only (ie. still using stock shocks). Just don't try taking speed bumps at 80km/h... (Whow... flashback of last saturday )

If you want to drop it any more than that then you want both new springs and shocks and when it comes to that then follow Quiggs advice and go with Eibach.
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Tiv View Post
    I'm lower than quiggs.

Thread Information