Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WRC to use production-based rally cars in 2012

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    usually, a windshield, sometimes door panels are the same too...
    Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z View Post
    and the badge.
    Nothing important though...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

which is what makes it so special. anybody who's nobody can buy an Sti WRX, buy some livery and install a rollcage then take it to the welsh hills to rally. WRC is supposed to represent the highest class rally cars. The inspiring days of Group B obviously mean nothing to the FIA. ugh..

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    But then what's the point in production based rally cars?
    Reducing costs. The active AWD systems help a lot. Though I could be wrong about the speed, it just depends how much modifications they allow to the cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    which is what makes it so special. anybody who's nobody can buy an Sti WRX, buy some livery and install a rollcage then take it to the welsh hills to rally. WRC is supposed to represent the highest class rally cars. The inspiring days of Group B obviously mean nothing to the FIA. ugh..
    Not really. A full World GrpN car is fairly different to a street STi or Evo. I've been in a Prodrive-built World GrpN STi, it was mental. And don't you remember that the WRC used to be GrpA, with stuff like the Evo6 running rampant across the world's forests?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post

Not really. A full World GrpN car is fairly different to a street STi or Evo. I've been in a Prodrive-built World GrpN STi, it was mental. And don't you remember that the WRC used to be GrpA, with stuff like the Evo6 running rampant across the world's forests?
    If they go back to Group A type cars, I'll be fine with it, but Group N is too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento View Post
    Basically, Group N. The cars already in the ARC, Asia-Pacific Rally, all that. It'd be nice if they allowed units like the Group N-P they invented here for the Corollas, but that does pretty much mean manufacturers can make one-offs again. Just even less mental ones.
    The Corollas are also running under Super 2000 locally, along with the Fiestas, and ive heard that there'll be something like that in the new rules. That should allow more manufacturers than Subaru and Mitsubishi to be competitive.
    I am the Stig

Luckily. Group B was simply too dangerous. A return to 70's style of rallying would be just perfect.
    Reducing costs. The active AWD systems help a lot. Though I could be wrong about the speed, it just depends how much modifications they allow to the cars.
    I think you meant standarized four wheel drive systems, not active ones which are lot more complicated and therefore expensive. I see your point then.
    Visca Catalunya!

yeah but what built Rallying STRENGTH that the GroupB stemmed from and WRC is under-pinned by ARE the cars that were the "same" as you bought and gave everyone a chance to rally them. Back then MILLIONS would go to see the RAC rally !! LOTS of enthusiasts. Every university would have a very large and active rallying club. Each district woudl have many local rally clubs. There were rally events every weekend and often mid week too !
    You lose that when it costs £200,000 to have a chance of competing
    Those were the "inspiring" days of rallying
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I think you meant standarized four wheel drive systems, not active ones which are lot more complicated and therefore expensive. I see your point then.
    No, I meant the active ones. While they may be more complicated, they're not more expensive on a production-based rally car, as they all already have them stock.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

No, I meant the active ones. While they may be more complicated, they're not more expensive on a production-based rally car, as they all already have them stock.
    But then why go the production way for rally cars and then grace them with complicated four wheel drive systems? It doesn't make much sense, does it?

Anyway, what we need is rear wheel drive back in rallying...
    Visca Catalunya!

The active front and rear diffs were banned in WRC.
    Only the centre is allowed ... these are STILL very expensive to develop and setup ( fullly computer controlled )
    I'd prefer to see NO control on the diffs in competition as I think it woudl go someway to levelling the 2WD v 4WD differential (pun intended)
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    yeah but what built Rallying STRENGTH that the GroupB stemmed from and WRC is under-pinned by ARE the cars that were the "same" as you bought and gave everyone a chance to rally them. Back then MILLIONS would go to see the RAC rally !! LOTS of enthusiasts. Every university would have a very large and active rallying club. Each district woudl have many local rally clubs. There were rally events every weekend and often mid week too !
    You lose that when it costs £200,000 to have a chance of competing
    Those were the "inspiring" days of rallying

Bring it back look at the crowds here, shows how much people loved it back then

vatenan in '81 i think round dolby
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

and not just large crowds in one place ... BUT smaller groups many miles into a stage

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang View Post

Bring it back look at the crowds here, shows how much people loved it back then

vatenan in '81 i think round dolby
    WRC - 2000 - thousands of people..

WRC used to have 6 different cars, but now has 3. Were the events in the wrong locations for teams and sponsors?

FIA World Rally Championship - Socio-Economic Impact
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by togos452 View Post
    WRC used to have 6 different cars, but now has 3. Were the events in the wrong locations for teams and sponsors?
    The research will be interesting but the answer is simpler
    Toyota ... focus on F1
    Mitsubishi ..... losing revenue
    Hyundai ..... never really had the revenue
    Citroen .... no point having two from the same company
    Renault ..... focus on F1
    Saab/Volvo .... motorsport not seen as representing the new company image
    Chrysler ..... yeah RIGHT
    GM ..... oh dear call a doctor I need someone to stich my sides up
    M-B ..... focus on F1
    BMW ..... focus on F1

Jeez I think I'll apply to the FIA for a research grant and sit on my ass for a year

Thread Information