Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New 1-Series Coupe

New 1-Series Coupe

Words/pics from autozine:
    (sorry if this is a repost, couldnt find it in search)

Quote Originally Posted by Autozine
    The 1-Series Coupe is perhaps the worst kept secret in the industry. From the beginning BMW said it would produce the 1-Series in 2-door coupe and cabriolet form in addition to the 5-door and 3-door. The 2-door will also be the only 1-Series for sale in the North America, as demand for hatchbacks is relatively low there. After waiting for 3 years, American motorists are finally seeing the 1-Series Coupe. As shown by these official pictures, the Coupe looks rather like a 3-Series with narrower body and shorter tail. From A-pillar forward it is the same as the 1-Series hatchback, albeit with sportier bumper intakes and lip spoilers for the range topper 135i as shown in these pictures. The strange convex-concave surfaces around the door sills remain there, unfortunately.

As the main market is United States, so far the official details are available for only the US version – two models will be offered, 128i is powered by the US-spec 3.0-liter magnesium block inline-6 with Valvetronic and pumps out 230hp (as in the current 328i for the US market). 135i is powered by 335i's twin-turbo direct injection 3.0 straight-6 with 300hp and 300 lbft (Euro spec car should output 306hp and 295lbft instead). I guess the European version could include the 170hp 2.0 DI four-cylinder, 177hp 2.0 turbo diesel and new 204hp 2.0 twin-turbo diesel. As long as there is demand, any engines of the 1-Series hatchback can be used in the Coupe.

Unsurprisingly, all the limelight is put on the range-topping 135i Coupe. With the powerful engine and M Sports package including stiff suspensions, 6-pot front brake calipers, 215/40 front tires and 245/35 rear tires and 18-inch alloy wheels, you can see it as a junior M3 (the name M1 is better to be reserved for the late 1970s mid-engined sports car). BMW claims 0-60 mph in 5.0 seconds, but I suspect it could do 4.8 or 4.9 seconds in the right hands, considering it is lighter than 335i. Top speed is again limited to 155 mph.

In the environmental side, the 1-Series Coupe will use "Efficient Dynamics" technologies like other 1-Series family members, such as regenerative braking and on-demand engine oil and water pumps.

I'm wondering about any improved practicality, i'm guessing in this form it will be even more cramped in rear/boot space. Americans must buy it for the badge if this is just reasoning.
    Last edited by jediali; 06-29-2007 at 04:55 AM.
    autozine.org

It's not the best looking car in the world, that's for sure. However that 135i is seriously fast and I'm sure that, as usual, as a machine it'll be brilliant.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

So much nicer than the ugly-ass hatchback. The only main gripe is the rear lights, but whatever. Makes much more sense than the hatch as well, in my opinion. People getting a coupe won't mind poor rear legroom and stuff. I really like it, and thats extraordinary considering i despise the hatchback! lol

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    I'm wondering about any improved practicality, i'm guessing in this form it will be even more cramped in rear/boot space. Americans must buy it for the badge if this is just reasoning.
    I read somewhere that actually boot space is increased compared to the hatch, IIRC from 350 litres to 370 litres. However I'm sure will be compromised, if there's any left at all.
    Visca Catalunya!

looks somewhat like an E46 from the front
    BMW Power

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    Americans must buy it for the badge if this is just reasoning.
    This is exactly why this is a car that will sell a lot, to make up for the sporty cars (M3/M5/M6) in the financial balance

BMW's answer to the Honda Civic.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino Scuderia View Post
    BMW's answer to the Honda Civic.

I don't like the car cause it clearly wasn't born to be a coupé. Anyway, it's far prettier than the hatch. A nice and proper high-revving 4 cylinder M version would suit it nicely. They could do a modern interpretation of the 1st M3...
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis View Post
    I don't like the car cause it clearly wasn't born to be a coupé. Anyway, it's far prettier than the hatch. A nice and proper high-revving 4 cylinder M version would suit it nicely. They could do a modern interpretation of the 1st M3...
    Nah, 6 cylinder > 4 cylinder. And in BMW even more so.
    Visca Catalunya!

Looks like a baby cartooned version of 3 series coupe. Don't really like it. Could've been cool if the 1 series was actually ever anything more than an ugly over-priced POS...

It does look cartoonish.

I think it looks awesome. I can't wait to drive it.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Looks like some badly designed Hyundai......
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Yeah, it looks like Japanese and korean cars looked before they figured out what is tasteful for the masses.

is this to make up for the z3 coupe of old? hairdressers here we come

besides, it looks like a volvo

Thread Information