Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autos with Clutchs

Autos with Clutchs

i dont know a whole lot about transmissions but would like to and need to know more. Are there such things as autos with a clutch? its sorta like an auto, then you move the stick to the right where there is a plus and a minus sign, and that would be short shifting with a clutch. i saw one, wasnt anyone around to explain though. i couldnt see the clutch because the windows were tinted too much, but is there such a thing like this? or is it just Overdrive or something

It is a fully conventional automatic box, but the electronics allow the driver to override the computer and self select the ratio they want.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

if it is a regular auto-box then there will be no clutch pedal. Even with semi-autos (DSG, Ferrari etc) the (multi-plate) clutch control is lectronically managed so there would be no clutch pedal. I dont know gearbox that have a clutch pedal without some form of mechanical gear selection.

You might have seen a pedal activated hand brake beside the brake and acclelerator
    autozine.org

I think you were looking at a Merc by the "side" shifting auto, and the clutch is as Jediali said, just the "hand" break, if you catch the car again watch out for the release of the "hand" break just above the pedal, a large black handle with the "danger" traingle drawn.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

no, im saying i never could see if there was a clutch or not. the windows were tinted. It was a mitsubishi eclipse and all i could really see was the shifter. It had park, drive, overdrive, and then you could move it down and over where there was a plus and minus, plus on top minus on bottom

P|
    D| |+|
    O|_| |
    ___ -|

Quote Originally Posted by 70cuda88 View Post
    no, im saying i never could see if there was a clutch or not. the windows were tinted. It was a mitsubishi eclipse and all i could really see was the shifter. It had park, drive, overdrive, and then you could move it down and over where there was a plus and minus, plus on top minus on bottom

P|
    D| |+|
    O|_| |
    ___ -|
    So... what Cyco said.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by 70cuda88 View Post
    Are there such things as autos with a clutch?
    The aftermarket company B&M made clutched autos, eg the Clutchflite and Turboclutch based on Chrysler Torqueflite and GM TH400. A conventional clutch replaces the torque converter for starting/stopping. They can be set up to provide either manual-only gear selection or fully automatic shifts - both eliminate missed shifts - plus the bonus of giving flat-throttle (no clutch) upshifts

Googled clutchflite thread
    http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54449

my uncles old 1941 Chyrsler Windsor has something like that. the transmission is a 3 speed auto. called hydromatic or fluid drive. you have to clutch to get the car into gear and to pull of but once its in drive it shifts automatically. but to get it into neutral reverse and drive you must clutch. pretty weird
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    my uncles old 1941 Chyrsler Windsor has something like that. the transmission is a 3 speed auto. called hydromatic or fluid drive. you have to clutch to get the car into gear and to pull of but once its in drive it shifts automatically. but to get it into neutral reverse and drive you must clutch. pretty weird
    I've seen Fluid Drive badges on old Chryslers. Apparently they also had something called Gyrol Drive and Tip Toe Hydraulic Shift (weird!)

Have driven a 1956 Buick Century with the infamous old Dynaflow two-speed - no clutch pedal but nevertheless a very strange experience. Unless manually manipulated they will always start and forever remain in top gear, with massive amounts of transmission slip under acceleration encountered right through to 60mph and beyond, holding constant high revs like a CVT

I've been working on a 50's plymouth with the hydromatic 3 speed on the column. It's a wild transmission, push the clutch in, put it in high gear, then drive it like an automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    holding constant high revs like a CVT
    arn't CVT's supposed to keep the revs low for better gas mileage. i havn't driven one yet so i don't know. and don't they feel weird cause they dont' shift or anything? i'll stick wit tiptronic auto's SMG's and manuals. my G35 won't shift to the next gear unless i tell it to. if i floor it and leave it in triptronic mode, it stays in that gear and just red lines. most tips shift to the next at redline. but when i down shift, it won't let me go too high but it does jerk the car when its done becuase it doesn't have rev matching, the newer models came with it though.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

arn't CVT's supposed to keep the revs low for better gas mileage. i havn't driven one yet so i don't know. and don't they feel weird cause they dont' shift or anything? i'll stick wit tiptronic auto's SMG's and manuals. my G35 won't shift to the next gear unless i tell it to. if i floor it and leave it in triptronic mode, it stays in that gear and just red lines. most tips shift to the next at redline. but when i down shift, it won't let me go too high but it does jerk the car when its done becuase it doesn't have rev matching, the newer models came with it though.
    CVTs where made to keep the engine ate peak torgue, allways, and with only one gear, but that was anoying and confusing for drivers, hearing the same engine sound if the car was going 10kms/h or 100Kms/h. So they made CVTs with virtual gear changes, wichs ruins the whole ideia i guess.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

arn't CVT's supposed to keep the revs low for better gas mileage.
    No. The idea of a CVT gearbox is that it keeps the engine at the optimum RPM for what you're doing at a particular point in time. So if you're accelerating flat out, it'll hold the engine at peak power then increase the gearing to increase speed. If you're just cruising it'll adjust the gearing to hold the engine at enough RPM to hold speed etc etc.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Has anyone ever come across a manual box with a torque convertor instead of a clutch? A friend of mine had this set up in a mazda rx3 rally car, the gearbox was a TQ5 or something and you just crunched into gear and floor it.
    Serial Pest
    05 Forever

Cant say i have, although i think alot of people would classify that as being an auto due to the fluid coupling. It sounds though how Pro Stock drag racers shift
    I am the Stig

Thread Information