Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Porsche 993 911 (Carrera and Turbo) 1993–1998

More 993 Turbo
    Attached Images Attached Images

More 993 Turbo
    Attached Images Attached Images

This forum has been sleepy these days, so it's nice to see you still keeping up the Hide-Out, Duell!

When do we think the air-cooled bubble will burst?

I've been thinking that it must be happening soon for a few years now, clearly underestimating the monomania and deep wallets of the contemporary Porch collector. It's not that I don't think Porsches are unworthy cars; they're certainly a staple of the sportscar landscape. I just don't really understand why they've been elevated to such a high status. Having known owners of formerly-attainable and slightly-rattly '80s 911s (both of whom, to their chagrin, unloaded their cars before the current hyperbole) and ridden in their cars, I enjoyed the rides in their cars with all the unique noise, smell, and vibration that that entails. I guess, because I fail to understand them, I cannot accurately predict how they will fare in the future.

I had initially thought that things were cooling off and that everyone who wanted one had one, but then I went home (to California) and found that the "Safari" trend of taking 911s from the iffier years and lifting them has fanned the embers a bit and begun lifting even the formerly-undesirable models out of many people's reach.

I know we've got some old-school aircooled folks around here. I'd be interested to hear their takes.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    This forum has been sleepy these days, so it's nice to see you still keeping up the Hide-Out, Duell!

When do we think the air-cooled bubble will burst?

I've been thinking that it must be happening soon for a few years now, clearly underestimating the monomania and deep wallets of the contemporary Porch collector. It's not that I don't think Porsches are unworthy cars; they're certainly a staple of the sportscar landscape. I just don't really understand why they've been elevated to such a high status. Having known owners of formerly-attainable and slightly-rattly '80s 911s (both of whom, to their chagrin, unloaded their cars before the current hyperbole) and ridden in their cars, I enjoyed the rides in their cars with all the unique noise, smell, and vibration that that entails. I guess, because I fail to understand them, I cannot accurately predict how they will fare in the future.

I had initially thought that things were cooling off and that everyone who wanted one had one, but then I went home (to California) and found that the "Safari" trend of taking 911s from the iffier years and lifting them has fanned the embers a bit and begun lifting even the formerly-undesirable models out of many people's reach.

I know we've got some old-school aircooled folks around here. I'd be interested to hear their takes.
    A good person to ask would be csl177, I think he races old 914s. When you step away from the forums, you start to forget things about members.

I think Magnus Walker and the Singer Porsches are really pretty and show high quality workmanship, but the prices he commands are ridiculous.

I think it's partly why Porsche offers the 911 R and the GT3 with a manual.

The safari trend is also stupid, just as stupid as the crazy camber/hellaflush crowd because they chop up good cars and roll fenders with no regard for car safety and suspension geometry.

Thread Information