Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Quickest forms of racing

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    If an F1 car can make it down the Corkscrew then an F1, and I suppose around Nurburg as well.
    F1 cars can easily make it through the Corkscrew - http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=I_bWOdY6mbU

On any normal racing circuit ('Road Courses', as they tend to be known in America) an F1 car should be the fastest over one lap and over a short-ish race, probably followed by Champ Cars. If the race is an endurance race then reliability issues would make a Le Mans Prototype the obvious favourite. Provided they could get it to ride the bumps and cambers sufficiently cleanly then F1 cars should be the fastest around the Nordschleife too.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Quick question- what was the fastest Le Mans prototype race car? Could it set a lap time similar to the fastest F1 car, or could it be even faster?
    A Jaguar XJ/9 holds the record for highest average speed, IIRC.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Isn't the Thrust SSC a race car? And there are those Boneville lakesters at 400+ km/h. And if you check how 1000 cc race bikes accelerate to 350 km/h... I'm not sure they are far behind F1 cars (though they are poor in the corners). Or a 917/30 at Talladega?

I guess you could call the Thrust SSC a race car, but what's it racing against?

It's only for top speed records on the Salt Flats, so I don't think it's a type of racing, not unless you're seeking for a line that never moves, it's not racing, I think at least.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I guess you could call the Thrust SSC a race car, but what's it racing against?
    Time...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Theirs also motorboat racing, speeds get close to 140 mph and lasting 45 minutes.

The question is just to vague to answer appropriatly. I would think that the thrust scc is a form of racing. Racing in its nature is competative and breaking speed records is just a slice of the pie.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

what about the space race? The Apollo 11 that dropped Armstrong of went 25000 Mph to escape the earths atmosphere.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    what about the space race? The Apollo 11 that dropped Armstrong of went 25000 Mph to escape the earths atmosphere.
    38 years ago today as well... good timing.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

The space race was also a slow one - it took 10 years from the gun sounding till someone landed on the moon.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

First is first, there's no denying that.

The engineering effort must have been freaking huge. This is a massive rocket you're talking here, not a 4 wheeled wonder. The rocket is many hundred times more complex than the car. It has so many components, and if any one of them goes wrong, the pride of the country and the lives of the astronauts are gone. The undertaking of engineering a rocket is far greater than engineering a car. And in that short amount of time too. Getting to the moon is far harder than going round that corner.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    38 years ago today as well... good timing.
    i was reading an article about it in the times, just popped into mind here..
    autozine.org

What about the Red Bull air race?
    Would it be possible, to play forever?
    The conclusion reached was that a player is inevitably doomed to lose.

Thread Information