View Poll Results: Which car would you choose?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Alfa 159 1.9JDTM Turismo

17 36.17%
  • Honda Accord 2.2 i-CDTi Sport

21 44.68%
  • Vauxhall Vectra 1.9CDTi (150BHP) Elite

2 4.26%
  • Volkswagen Passat 2.0TDi SE

7 14.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two Faced

Clive, Vauxhall. I think you'd appreciate it more in the long run, what with the Climate Control, Sat Nav, Leather seats etc. I think that Luton offers more for your money.

Second choice would be the Honda, relativly sporty, looks good, well built and very reliable, I think Honda offer a similarly enticing offer to Vauxhall (hmm, never thought I'd use 'enticing' & 'V'hall' in the same sentence...)
    The only thing I dislike about Honda is their website, it's soo AAARRRGGGGHH!
    Last edited by Waugh-terfall; 07-22-2007 at 01:23 PM.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    hmm, never thought I'd use 'enticing' & 'V'hall' in the same sentence...
    Ahem, you're the one who wanted to buy my Corsa...
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

VW Passat. ftw
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I still do, but I doubt it'll happen But you got me

Motion & Emotion

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    First, I'd only get them in wagon form - sedans just don't please me at all.

Besides that, I'd look at the Vauxhall/Opel or the Passat, leaning towards the latter. I don't really like the Alfa's new look, but I wouldn't mind the better instrumentation...I've always liked Opels, more so the models I was riding in in the mid-late 90's than the current ones, but I like the newer ones nonetheless.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    Well I think they are all going to be awfully boring to drive, so I'll go on looks, which in this case goes to the Honda with big grey wheels.
    Go drive your truck, that more exciting?

i would recommend a ford mondeo wagon 2.5-litre turbocharged Duratec petrol version.
    May the downforce be with you

Accord.

I can't really pass judgment on the Alfa, but having spent time with the other two, the Passat is universally boring and the Vectra is just a really, really bad car.

The Honda, on the other hand, is probably sporting the best engine out of the quartet, will have the best residuals (or thereabouts the same as the VW), is a more satisfying drive (probably not more so than the Alfa, mind) and has the naturally desirable Honda build quality and reliability.

So either the Accord or the Alfa. The one thing you can guarantee with the Alfa is that it will cost you more year on year.

Adding to VtecMini's post, the build quality in the new Passat is very substandard, very poor. Unlike the rest of the VW model range, which are built extremely well. What I'd like to know Clive is why you aren't considering the new Golf. The interior space in them is brilliant, so much better than even an Audi A4 Avant, I can fit VERY comfortably in the rear so I'm sure the rest of your family would have no problem. Also, on that note, the new Skoda Octavia. For exactly the same reasons as the Golf (only experienced the Estate) albeit slightly less desirable badge.

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh-terfall View Post
    Adding to VtecMini's post, the build quality in the new Passat is very substandard, very poor. Unlike the rest of the VW model range, which are built extremely well. What I'd like to know Clive is why you aren't considering the new Golf. The interior space in them is brilliant, so much better than even an Audi A4 Avant, I can fit VERY comfortably in the rear so I'm sure the rest of your family would have no problem. Also, on that note, the new Skoda Octavia. For exactly the same reasons as the Golf (only experienced the Estate) albeit slightly less desirable badge.
    I'd disagree on the first point. Having sat in both an A4 and Passat, I'd say that the difference between the two is negligible. In fact I'd say the seats in the Passat were nicer than the A4, one of the reasonable few and far between high points of the VW.

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini View Post
    I'd disagree on the first point. Having sat in both an A4 and Passat, I'd say that the difference between the two is negligible. In fact I'd say the seats in the Passat were nicer than the A4, one of the reasonable few and far between high points of the VW.
    Really? I've been in numerous A4's SE's, S-Lines, Saloons & Avants and the new Passat Wagon 2.0TDI Sport & 3.2 SEL, the Audi's were really nice but way to small, and both Passats (2.0TDI Showroom - 3.2 on the road) the glovebox refused to cloe properly and one side hung down, the interior of the doors are aweful, the lights in the vanity mirrors didn't work and in the 3.2 the drivers kept falling off and the 2.0TDI's passenger kept swinging down, both brand new (then 55), the 2.0TDI with less than 20mi on the clock and we took the 3.2 to just over 1,600mi I think, they felt quite cheap too

Motion & Emotion

Quote Originally Posted by Clivey View Post
    If I "favour" the Vectra, why have I made this thread and poll? Notice also that I haven't voted. I think it's a good car, that's all - just like the other "contenders" here...

...if I wanted a Vectra and didn't want the image associated with it, I'd get a 159 . Same chassis and engine.
    Yes on the same engine, no on the same chasis. 159 uses the Premium platform and Vectra the Epsilon.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

My head says Accord.

My heart says 159.

My heart's always more wrong than my head. Therefore I'd have to buy the Accord...

I'd take the Accord for the practicality, and the fact that it looks bloody awesome with the grey 17" wheels. Why they bothered with the puny 16"/15" ones makes you wonder- they look like toy wheels.

Alternatively, you could check out the recently updated Accord, with a new grille and the possibility of those oh-so-cool 18" wheels...

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6 View Post
    My head says Accord.

My heart says 159.

My heart's always more wrong than my head. Therefore I'd have to buy the Accord...

I'd take the Accord for the practicality, and the fact that it looks bloody awesome with the grey 17" wheels. Why they bothered with the puny 16"/15" ones makes you wonder- they look like toy wheels.

Alternatively, you could check out the recently updated Accord, with a new grille and the possibility of those oh-so-cool 18" wheels...
    And then you want to buy a 156 2.5 V6, very sensible Sam...

The Vectra is the only one which is about to be replaced, so I'd avoid it. Out of the others objectively the Passat and Accord are better than the 159. But it's so hard to say no to an Alfa Romeo, isn't it?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Unless it's a 147 GTA then no, not really

Motion & Emotion

Thread Information