Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I got a job

I got a job

For those of you who don't know i recently got my masters in mechanical engineering and having got a 2:2 It has been tricky to secure interviews and get past applicant reduction processes.

I have been looking for a while to get a good graduate engineering job. This is important because it is worthwhile to get a company to put you through imeche (institute of mechanical engineering) accreditation - ie become a chartered engineer.

Today i was offered a job as graduate project engineer with a company called Aker Kvaerner. This is a great oppertunity that will be satisfying professionally (and very well payed). I am 99% sure i will be accepting this job.
    autozine.org

That's some good news there. Congrats on the job.

Well done Craig, Aberdeen's oil community is proud of you.

Congratulations jediali, hope you enjoy your new job!

Congrats! And whats a 2:2?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    In British Universities you have several honour classifications of degree when you graduate. The top is First Degree (ie a 1st), next is 2nd degree first class honours (ie a 2:1), then it's 2nd degree second class honours (ie a 2:2), then a 3rd, then a basic "pass", then fail.

I've never really understood why there are two different classifications for a 2nd class degree. I know my last Uni used a simple A, B, C, D etc system for marking assessments, but then had to conform to the standardised 1st, 2:1, 2:2, 3rd etc system when dishing out the degrees. I have no idea why, just complicates things IMO.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Congrats mate, nice to see your hard work is rewarded!
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    my friends and i call them Desmonds (tutu), to make fun but it roughly depends on your scores in 3rd year (20%), 4th year (40%) and 5th year(40%) plus more weighting towards significant courses like the thesis, so:
    85%-100% = 1:1
    75%-84% = 2:1
    60%-74% = 2:2
    autozine.org

Well done, as far as I know Aker/Kvaerner is in the shipbuilding industry (the last remnant of the once world renowned yards along the Clyde). Anything automotive going on there too?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Well done, as far as I know Aker/Kvaerner is in the shipbuilding industry (the last remnant of the once world renowned yards along the Clyde). Anything automotive going on there too?
    I suppose the latest £3.8billion aircraft carrier contract on the clyde will help. Aker is a massive group and Aker Kvaerner have many fingers in many pies..I will be involved with energy oil/gas/renewables in Aberdeen. Probably no automotive in this company . However i have spoken with many young engineers who recken this is a good place to start - become recognised, qualified in an envrenment that is better funded and rewarded. In 4 years time when i am chartered i will consider my next options which could be automotive. Don't get me wrong - job satisfaction is way above salary.
    autozine.org

Aker Kvaerner? My friend's Dad used to work for them, some offices near Portsmough/Southampton or something, neither Russ nor I could ever work out how to say it. Good luck with it!
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

nice opportunity, I passed my grades in July, and my first job is in a supermarket, don't think it's as interesting ^^.May you explain me what's a graduate project engineer please?

I guess I will be managing offshore assets and solutions to (de)commsion/plan and run oil/gas drilling/subsea equipment..i'll keep you updated
    autozine.org

Pay should be pretty good too I'm guessing, Russ's Dad seems to earn a bit and engineers are a highly skilled workforce
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

Thought I would revisit this thread. 9 months into the job and its pretty stressful (hence less posting). I kinda wish i took it abit easier for a while. I would however encourage all those budding engineers out there (and existing ones) to study and work hard because the rewards are out there.

At the momenent I am part of a small group of discipline engineers acting as a lead mechanical ensuring all suppliers provide the right equipment on time and budget. great thing is I get to travel around a lot, chat with some clever people and get some really good experience under my belt.
    autozine.org

Thread Information