Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic

DH-00-79 was shown at Interclassics in Maastricht earlier in January this year. It is Dutch registered, but is this the Danish built replica?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    DH-00-79 was shown at Interclassics in Maastricht earlier in January this year. It is Dutch registered, but is this the Danish built replica?

The Replica was made by the Danish Bugattiist by the name of Erik Koux. By the way, the Atlantic Replica Volkswagen owns that has the licence plate "1939" in the front was built by "magic Koux" also! It is black just like the DH-00-79

Read this article on the Volkswagen Atlantic replica:
    Volkswagen acquired just one Royale

At last weeks Bugatti festival in Molsheim I tried to confirm the latest news about Volkswagen having acquired two Royales. Actually I asked the man at the wheel of the Binder coupe de Ville. This is the car bought by Volkswagen, the only Royale. They did buy another Bugatti though, a replica T57SC Atlantic (by Eric Koux), The one that was shown at the Bugatti exhibition in Amsterdam. This seems logical, as they used the famous "fin" in all their models presented so far!
    Volkswagen sponsored this years event, held everey year to commemorate Ettore´s birthday. A report can be seen on their pages: www.bugatti-cars.de. There were some 60 or so Bugattis present, ranging from a type 10 to a EB110, the event was held at the site of the factory, at Messier-Bugatti, which makes aircraft parts now. It was a great sight, especially seeing two Royale´s (the replica Esder´s roadster was also there!) driving one behind the other!! The following day I saw two more Royale´s at the Schlumpf-museum at Mulhouse.

Volkswagen also bought the chateau, and are really busy restoring it, as they are with an old part of the factory.
    taken from: www.bugattipage.com/1999news.htm

This interesting text was taken from "ritzsite":
    http://www.ritzsite.net/Bugatti_T57/03_T57.htm

Next to the introduction of the Atalante model in 1935 an experimental model on the S-chassis appeared: the Aérolithe. This car created quite a stir with its unusual low, almost hunched body style and its ability to reach a maximum speed of 200 kph. It attracted enough interest to consider taking it into production, and so the Atlantic was presented in 1936 as the production version of the Aérolithe.
    It was to become the rarest and most exotic of all Type 57 Bugattis. The Atlantic can be regarded as the sportscar version of the Sport Atalante, with innovative streamlined 2-seater fastback coupe bodywork on the short Sport chassis and with the tuned 8-cylinder 3257 cc engine, fitted with the compressor option.

The design of the Atlantic, again the work of an inspired Jean Bugatti, showed a resemblance with another contemporary French styling icon: the Talbot-Lago T150 SS "Goutte d'Eau" (teardrop) coupe by Figoni and Falaschi, but was in an unique way ahead of its time. It followed the essence of the Aérolithe, as the name indicates an aerodynamic lightweight car, without the magnesium alloy body construction (though at least one Atlantic had an "Electron" body, an aluminum alloy). There were similarities with aircraft construction, like its most distinctive feature: the ridge running from front to back over the middle of the car which was formed by the flanges with which the 2 halves of the body shell were riveted together. This not only added to the rigidity of the construction but also stabilized the car at high speeds. This feature was also repeated on the front fenders of the car. And it was the lowest of all Type 57 Bugattis, since the rear axle ran through the chassis frame instead of underneath.

Other distinctive styling features of the Atlantic were the high sills (due to incorporating the chassis members within the body construction) which made it necessary to cut out the doors high on the sides and partly into the roof to allow for easy entering and exiting the car; the side windows which followed the roof line; the V-ed radiator shell which was placed low between the front fenders and the turtle-like rear deck. Altogether it formed a slightly bizarre but very impressive and appealing statement which inspired designers and cars for decades to come. It certainly wasn't like anything on the road in the 1930s and for the people at the time it might just as well have come from outer space.

This, and its exorbitant price, made the Atlantic hard to sell. Though its agility was undoubted, its pedigree revered and its design much acclaimed, only a few left the factory between 1936-1938. Apparently parts were made for 6 Atlantics but only 3 were sold, all fitted with compressor. Two of these have survived to this day and one was (re)assembled from remaining parts, so now 3 original Atlantics are extant.
    After WW2 when streamlined design became rapidly accepted, the Atlantic soon was seen as a lighting example and a work of art. The value of the few cars left went sky high and now it's one of the most expensive classics in the world. And one of the most beautiful in my opinion.

To be honest: the Atlantic shown here is an exact replica made by Erik Koux, based on original Bugatti parts but with new, exactly recreated, chassis and body. Of the 3 remaining Atlantics 2 reside in the US and 1 in France, so this fine Dutch replica will have to do for now...

Here's another Kooux Replica of the Ralph Lauren car shown at Schwetzingen in 2001, owned by a wealthy US-American. What do you think about the additional headlights????

This is what Peter Madle thinks about the car being shown at Schwetzingen:
    http://www.madle.org/eev601.htm
    "Even if the car is based on an original Bugatti chassis, it's not an original Atlantique, and so it shouldn't be shown on a Concours D'Elegance... "

Here's another Koux remake on an original chassis:
    http://www.megeve-simplon.com/bug57sc.jpg

It's a 1938 replica, BUGATTI 57SC ATLANTIC 1938
    original chassis and engine, sublime and very fast car !
    http://www.megeve-simplon.com/summar...simplon_r.html

The three restauration pictures could be the same car, taken from bugattipage:
    http://www.bugattipage.com/crailv.htm
    Last edited by nopassn; 03-17-2005 at 08:17 PM. Reason: pulled image tags for the image over 800x600

[QUOTE=TIM]To be honest: the Atlantic shown here is an exact replica made by Erik Koux, based on original Bugatti parts but with new, exactly recreated, chassis and body. Of the 3 remaining Atlantics 2 reside in the US and 1 in France, so this fine Dutch replica will have to do for now...

I did rename my pics with the extension "replica"
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

No, no, Henk, I took this whole text from ritzsite. I just marked this passage BOLD because it tells about the replica made by the Danish Erik Koux. That's what you wanted to know, didn't you.

Come on Henk, I have talked to you on this forum a while ago; I know you are not stupid!!! And you should know I am not, well at at least not that...stupid! Haha . What's life without humour!

Here's another pic of the silver Koux Atlantic, again with four headlights; is that fashionalble now among replicas ?
    Last edited by TIM; 02-08-2005 at 10:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TIM
    No, no, Henk, I took this whole text from ritzsite. I just marked this passage BOLD because it tells about the replica made by the Danish Erik Koux. That's what you wanted to know, didn't you.

Come on Henk, I have talked to you on this forum a while ago; I know you are not stupid!!! Haha . What's life without humour!
    You did notice the at the end of my message, didn't you?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    You did notice the at the end of my message, didn't you?
    Yeahh, I guess you just like to tease me a little today, that's Ok.

wow only three made, amazing like how mercedes benz made only 5 CLK GTR Roadsters. Heres a picture. I dunno whos car this is tho................heres the link..such a spactular automobile

http://www.daveolimpiautomobiles.com...BestOfShow.JPG
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Ralph Lauren - Bugatti
    Fasten seat belt while seated

Here's a Type 51 'Baby Atlantic', I took these pics this past weekend. This car won Best In Show, it is a stunning example.

One more pic to show the spine which does not have rivets like the Type 57 Atlantics.

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    Ok, I read the article bout the Volkswagen Replica... but what is this? This car is shown in AutoStadt in Wolfsburg (near the Volkswagen factory) since June 2000... Also a replica?

The fourth pic shows the Atlantic which was shown at Essen Motorshow 2004 (and also at some pics in here)
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

will someone sticky this? this car is beautiful
    stereotonin

Look Ma! There's a Bug in Star Wars!!

General Grievous, the ultimate villain in Star Wars Episode 3
    and here is his personal space ship...
    similar profile design with Bugatti Type 57 Atlantic

There's a saying in Germany: If he (Jean Bugatti) could see this, he would turn around in is grave, most probably even twice!! haha .

Quote Originally Posted by netburner
    The fourth pic shows the Atlantic which was shown at Essen Motorshow 2004 (and also at some pics in here)
    which is the same as the replica posted earlier. (look at the license plate....)

license plate= DH 00 ??

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...chmentid=89606

license plate = DH 00 79
    so, thats the same car
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 03-28-2005 at 03:32 PM.

Thread Information