Thread: Rolls Royce Silver Wraith by Hooper

Rolls Royce Silver Wraith by Hooper

1956 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith by Hooper, only 3 made and all for Nubar Gulbenkian.
    I think this car was "in the movies"...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I don't take any photo, just collect in all the web and share"

1956 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith by Hooper #2

That's a really ugly Rolls-Royce...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

in fact it is. and are another ugly RR in 'Nubar Gulbenkian style', a Silver Cloud Sedanca de Ville.
    but more two pic's, one from the movie whit Alain Delon and Jane Fonda

Aah, Mr. Gulbenkian... The guy who used converted taxicabs as his personal transport
    Here's a photo of one of his two FX4 special conversions, made by FLM Panelcraft.
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

[url=http://www.presaonline.com]Stiri[/url] | [url=http://www.presaonline.com/horoscop/]Horoscop[/url]

i like it, maybe a bit tacky but impressive
    12 cylinders or walk!

Quote Originally Posted by dydzi View Post
    i like it, maybe a bit tacky but impressive
    I guess you mean the Rolls, not the FX4 :P
    It's not denial. I'm just very selective about the reality I accept.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    It appeared in the French movie "Les félins" in 1964 (also known as "Joy House" or "The Love Cage"). It was sold and painted yellow in 1968 and then spent an extended period of time living in a basement before being bought and freed from its prison by means of a sledgehammer to the walls. It underwent a full restoration and currently appears to be for sale.

To quote the ad at Frank Dale and Stepsons (paragraph breaks added by me for clarity):

Chassis No LELW74 is arguably one of the most unusual Rolls-Royce motor cars ever built which was commissioned for legendary playboy and Rolls-Royce enthusiast Nubar Gulbenkian. Armenian born Gulbenkian is famed for his passion for unusual coachwork and styling on the Silver Wraith chassis, always bodied by his favourite London coachbuilder Hooper. He is understood to have had four unique motor cars created for his motoring pleasure during the 1950’s. The last of the four was LELW47 which was specially commissioned for his time spent on the Cote d’Azur.

This motor car is unsurprisingly a unique creation with its signature point being the all Perspex roof. It is understood he requested such a design to combat his fear of enclosed spaces which he developed during the mid 1950’s. To keep the cabin and his guests cool whilst on the French Riviera Gulbenkian ordered an electric retractable fabric blind which folded down behind the reclining seats in the rear compartment, as well as air conditioning. It is fitted with his customary rear compartment speedometer which he used to ensure his chauffer drove in the spirited and brisk fashion he preferred. The speedometer is complemented with a period radio, which are both situated on the rear division rail.

The front of the car is no less ordinary, with a crystal Lalique mascot adorning the chromium plated radiator shell. It is fitted with a light bulb which is set below the mascot inside the radiator shell, illuminating the mascot at the flick of a switch giving LELW74 an extra special appearance at night.

There are countless other interesting features hidden away in this extraordinary piece of motoring history including a fold away vanity mirror set inside the central arm rest in the rear compartment and leather covered woodwork, which was another consistent feature in all of Gulbenkian’s Silver Wraiths.

After leaving Mr Gulbenkian’s ownership LELW74 was featured in the film “The Love Cage” which was shot in 1968 [1964 according to IMDb] and starred Jane Fonda. Sometime after this the car disappeared from the public eye and was not heard of for several decades until our French agent stumbled upon an unusual looking motor car in the basement of a nightclub in Nice some years ago. It was painted bright yellow with a scruffy cloth interior. The original Perspex roof was still attached to the car. An offer was made to the owner of the nightclub and LELW74 duly became the property of Frank Dale & Stepsons. We acquired a copy of the film “The Love Cage” and studied the footage with a view to restoring the car to its original colour scheme and specification. After a full mechanical review the car was stripped and re-painted in its original colours of dark blue and silver. The interior was also stripped out and re-trimmed in two tone dark blue and pale grey leather. The car now presents and drives very well and it would be somewhat of an understatement to report that it receives a fair amount of attention when out on the open road.

In "Les félins": IMCDb.org: 1956 Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith Hooper Perspex Top Saloon [LELW74] in "Les félins, 1964"
    For sale: Rolls-Royce Silver Wraith - Frank Dale & Stepsons
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

It seems to have Daimler Dart rear lights! Another example of successful English coachbuilding.

Thread Information