Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "PS3 can't do AI as well as 360" - Ubisoft Montreal

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,

"PS3 can't do AI as well as 360" - Ubisoft Montreal

So, Conviction is confirmed for PC and Xbox 360. But what about the other consoles? Double Agent was a 360 exclusive for a whole week. On this issue, Danny could give us a firm answer. “It’s NEVER gonna come out on the PS3 or the Wii.” It’s a logical decision. Nintendo’s console simply doesn’t have the graphical horsepower, and he candidly told us how the PS3 can’t handle AI nearly as well as the 360.
    Gameplayer - Australia's Premier Gaming Website

That's just bull. Here's the truth:

First, we hear from one Ubisoft developer that the PS3 can't handle AI as well as the Xbox 360. And now, in a recent interview with GamesIndustry.biz, another Ubisoft team is defending the PS3 with some choice statements.

The team behind one of the most accomplished productions out there, Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2, says that developing games for the PS3 is "no harder" than developing them for the 360. In the face of analyst reports that say Sony's console is to blame due to it's overly complicated hardware, this team - a BAFTA-award winning team, at that - says it's simply about "getting up to speed" with a new console.

"It's wrong to say it's harder to code on the PlayStation 3, it's just something that needs to be learned," said Yann Le Tensorer, co-founder of Ubisoft's Tiwak studio and co-creator of the Yeti engine powering GRAW and the upcoming Beowulf game. "It's not harder to develop on the PS3 than it is on the 360, it's just a different console. Developers might says it's harder because it just takes time to understand the technology, we're still early in the lifecycle."

Le Tensorer goes on to say that progress will be made with the system; the more developers learn, the more the "entire community will benefit." He finishes- "We need all developers to learn from the console, it was the same with the PlayStation 2. Our team are more than happy with the PlayStation 3."

International brand manager for the publisher, Adrian Lacey, believes that GRAW2 (scheduled to arrive on the PS3 next month) is shaping up quite nicely, and it's due entirely to "forward planning" from the developers.

"Because we built the engine for this generation of hardware we've been very well placed – Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter hit that level of quality early in the cycle when the 360 first came out because we had our engine in mind for PS3, 360 and PC from the very beginning," Lacey said.

Ubisoft is currently working on another interesting title, this one based on the upcoming film, "Beowulf." The game is scheduled for the PS3 and Xbox 360, and Lacey says there's still "plenty to learn" about both Sony's and Microsoft's consoles at this point.

"For us it's been a learning curve and technology changes very quickly. We're learning step-by-step to use the PS3 to its fullest capacity," he said. "If you take the PS2 for example, when God of War come out people saw it was tremendous. But it wasn't until the end of the PS2 cycle that we've seen the machine being pushed to its fullest."

Well, all of this is something we've been screaming about ever since the PS3 launched last year. It's good to finally hear some developers admit to it, especially when the situation appears quite obvious: it takes time to effectively and successfully develop for a new console.
    PS3 News: GRAW2 Team: "Not Hard" To Develop For PlayStation 3

That's pretty much it. I myself have faith that the PS3 can potentially be very successful later on in its life cycle. And there was an angry response from Sony too regarding the comment from Splinter Cell developer:

Sony has responded to reports earlier this week that claimed PS3 is not able to process AI as well as 360.

The PS3-shunning statement supposedly came from a Splinter Cell: Conviction producer, who cited PS3's inferior AI processing as a reason Conviction will never be released on Sony's console.

Naturally, Sony's Dave Karraker disagrees, and has come out to rubbish these claims. "PS3 can more than handle AI," he said, "as you will see with Heavenly Sword, which has hundreds of on-screen enemies with different AI routines at one time thanks to the power of CELL."

A chaotic brawler may not have been the best example, but we find it hard to believe the PS3 has any problems with AI. But then, we don't make games.
    News: Sony: "PS3 can more than handle AI" - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

What has the video game industry come to......
    Last edited by NuclearCrap; 08-19-2007 at 06:34 PM.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

360>ps3.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Waah, our devs suck and can't learn the new coding, waaaaah.

Edit: And as someone who owns both consoles, I'll say this. They're both incredible formats. PS3 is still in its infancy, Xbox is a toddler at this point. The 360 has been getting all the love for the last 2 months, but that's due to our HDMI not working currently on the TV, Forza owning my soul, and the general lack of games that I'm interested in for the PS3 at this point.
    Last edited by Quiggs; 08-19-2007 at 06:41 PM.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Oh yeah will I hooked up my Genesis and played Sonic.
    John says:
    i'm afraid to fap

SNES > Genesis.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

At least you can force Linux on the PS3

Consoles suck compared to PCs

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    Forza owning my soul.

I agree with you and I think there needs to be some Forza Anonymous meetings that keep you from wanting to do consecutive endurance races
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post

Technically yes, but consoles are for those who want ready-to-go gaming systems and PCs are for people like me who like to build one myself and don't mind maintenance, except in the case of pre-built computers where the consumers usually are expecting things to work the first time they boot. Stop trolling around, you don't even have a decent PC nor console.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

You suck.
    John says:
    i'm afraid to fap

Yay, been waiting for this. I've been telling all the Xbox fanboys to, "just wait...." Give the PS3 time. Since it's so new and so different it will take awhile for it's power to be fully shown. I'm not knocking the 360, I'm just saying give the dang PS3 a chance. You already know it's powerful. I really think everyone will be blown away by the PS3 over the next 5 years. Can't wait to see what comes of it.

Lets not start with that stuff please.....

I'm interested in a PS3, but like others have said, the games don't interest me much. Anyway, I'm waiting for GT5, so I'm still waiting for a more serious price drop.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Lets not start with that stuff please.....

I'm interested in a PS3, but like others have said, the games don't interest me much. Anyway, I'm waiting for GT5, so I'm still waiting for a more serious price drop.
    Agreed, im not paying $500-600 bucks for a console with exclusives ill never play and multiplatform games in slightly better hi-def. Ill take a 360, at least i know ill play forza and halo 3 next month. not to mention the LIBRARY of other games that are out and are hitting the shelves soon.
    1987 Pontiac GTA Trans Am (Parked-Project car)
    Orange/Cloth
    Future ideas:
    LS1/LT1 or Twin Screw S/C L98 TPI
    True duels/side pipes

2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 (DD)
    Black/Black and Grey Leather

i consider the ps3 and 360 to be different breeds of the same animal. The only thing that divides them apart is price and games at the moment. Comparing performance is like comparing twins.

if AI i assume is artificial intelligence, then i think that the above paragraph had a point. on the ps3 AI is not to par with its other features. most PS3 games at this stage are high quality, Low AI games motorstorm even hevenly sword was not that great on the feature, plus programmers had a hard time with grand theft auto 4 that is why the preffered console for GTA4 is the 360, they even added a two hour gameplay bonus exclusively for the 360
    Last edited by kigango123; 08-21-2007 at 10:06 AM.
    Once fanboyism infects you it impares all your judgement.
    It's like being drunk, you lack common sense and everyone laughs at you.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik
    i consider the ps3 and 360 to be different breeds of the same animal. The only thing that divides them apart is price and games at the moment. Comparing performance is like comparing twins.
    You're comparing apples to apples! I get what your saying really :P I think if you got down to the technical specs though, there really are quite a few differences, as we've seen people argue, though nobody seems to be absolutely sure what those differences are.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Thread Information