Thread: Xbox Live through crossover cable

Xbox Live through crossover cable

Hello everyone, I'm back with a question.

I would like to connect to Xbox Live through my computer. I read on another site that you needed a special Crossover cable (Which I will buy) and internet connection sharing enabled to do this.

I have a router upstairs wirelessly sending a signal to my computer downstairs. The witreless computer downstairs is the one I would like to connect to Xbox live through, via a crossover cable.

For Internet Connection Sharing, the host computer needs to have the IP of 192.168.0.1. With the only problem being that 192.168.0.1 is being used by the Dlink router upstairs.

I have tried enabling Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), but only to get this message:

Code:
    A lan connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing.
    So should I attempt to change my routers IP address? Can you even do that?

Or is it possible to change to IP required for ICS to something else other than 192.168.0.1?

If I could manage to get this setup to work it would be much more appreciated than shelling out the $130 required for the wireless adaptor sold by Microsoft. Which I haven't heard the best about either. I have also been recommended to set up another router downstairs, so I can hardwire to the router directly, but again, this would also be expensive.

Any other suggestions as to a solution to my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Manik
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm back with a question.

I would like to connect to Xbox Live through my computer. I read on another site that you needed a special Crossover cable (Which I will buy) and internet connection sharing enabled to do this.

I have a router upstairs wirelessly sending a signal to my computer downstairs. The witreless computer downstairs is the one I would like to connect to Xbox live through, via a crossover cable.

For Internet Connection Sharing, the host computer needs to have the IP of 192.168.0.1. With the only problem being that 192.168.0.1 is being used by the Dlink router upstairs.

I have tried enabling Internet Connection Sharing (ICS), but only to get this message:

Code:
    A lan connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing.
    So should I attempt to change my routers IP address? Can you even do that?

Or is it possible to change to IP required for ICS to something else other than 192.168.0.1?

If I could manage to get this setup to work it would be much more appreciated than shelling out the $130 required for the wireless adaptor sold by Microsoft. Which I haven't heard the best about either. I have also been recommended to set up another router downstairs, so I can hardwire to the router directly, but again, this would also be expensive.

Any other suggestions as to a solution to my problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Manik
    If I understand your post right, I explained how to do this in another thread using a computer with a wireless connection. I'll edit this post when I find the link. NOTE: the instructions call for a laptop but the information in the link can be done with a standard desktop computer.

EDIT: How to configure X-BOX Live through a wireless network connection
    Last edited by Rockefella; 08-23-2007 at 04:47 PM.

It worked! Thank you so much man, do I ever owe you one

Didn't it keep kicking you off when you did that?
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Whats your Gamertag?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Oh one more thing Rockefella, I don't know if its considered a problem or not, but on my computer I still have a connection.

So I have a connecton on my Xbox and on my computer.

My gamertag's
    Manik92

EDIT: btw, I don't have a 1394 connection, but after checking other connections in the house they all have it. Is there any way to get it back, if it makes a difference....

Oh and in response to baddabang, I haven't tried it online with other people, I've just been downloading some content for my games. The download speeds aren't great though.
    Last edited by Manik; 08-23-2007 at 06:49 PM.

what games you play?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

TDU, DiRT, Forza 2, Halo 2, NHL 07, and PGR3 are the ones I've been playing for the last while.

Quote Originally Posted by Manik View Post
    Oh one more thing Rockefella, I don't know if its considered a problem or not, but on my computer I still have a connection.

So I have a connecton on my Xbox and on my computer.

My gamertag's
    Manik92
    Hmm.. lucky you I guess. Maybe it has something to do with your network settings. When I bridged my connections for the xbox, the network recognized the laptop and xbox as the same device and thus, only permitted one of those to have a connection rather than both at the same time.

Thread Information