Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shock absorber question

Quote Originally Posted by Lagonda View Post
    Suspension arms or axle, that sounds pretty expensive, no ? I already had 600 euros is repairs done last week (new brakes and rear brake cilinder, basically an entire new brake system for the rear) so this problem isn't really welcome.

Those Koni FSDs look awesome Drakkie, but they are €550 for a set of 4. I really can't afford that right now and it seems that they don't make them for Renaults yet. (EDIT: they do make them for Renault but only for the Clio 3, not the Clio 2).

Maybe I need other shocks for my low profile tyres ? What I don't want is an even firmer ride nor do I want to lower the car. Maybe some red Koni's ? They make red and yellow Koni's for my Clio.
    Damn ! That is a lot of money for those repairs ! I'd think you'd be a lot cheaper of doing it yourself. It's not that complicated to do or anything...

I'm sorry, I didn't realise they were that pricey as I can arrange to get company discount (thx connections).

Those rules in Belgium seem pretty tight man, I'm glad it aint so strict here. We have many frauding testers too though. They talk you into unnecessary repairs and stuff. My aunt once had to pay 400€ for a repair. She walked away mad, because she is just like the res of the family and is car mad too. Another place said nothing was wrong and it passed with flying colours.

Before my own test in Octobre I plan to put it on the bridge on school and check everything myself. We can do everything on school, including emission test, dynometer tests and more. Not expecting anything..

The one time in Belgium in my car was so bizarre.. Terrible roads and even worse drivers. There was this one road along the river Schelde, where from great tarmac you went onto terrible pavement. As I was driving 65km/h () i was rammed into my seatbelts. Everything on the dashboard went walking, without me being able to grab it ! so funny ! Luckily only the gum went out of the window

Will also never forget the guy that signalled left, to turn right. Almost finished myself there since I was going 40 km/h... You crazy bastards

Quote Originally Posted by ripper46 View Post
    I'm gonna take advantage of this thread to ask a little question myself: when I drive with the window down, and I go over a speedbump, I hear the shocks making a little noise as there are compressed/ decompressed. Is this normal?
    I guess so. It seems to me it couldn't harm... On colder days I get it a little too. Maybe some lubricant in the suspension not lubing (?) enough or something ? I got it only on the rear...

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Before my own test in Octobre I plan to put it on the bridge on school and check everything myself. We can do everything on school, including emission test, dynometer tests and more. Not expecting anything..
    Dyno guy: "After the tough battle between drakkie's car and Jeremy's bicycle, I'm pleased to announce the winner is Jeremy, slighty beating drakkie's car in both horsepower and torque figures. Now don't hide Jeremy, you won!"

Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Damn ! That is a lot of money for those repairs ! I'd think you'd be a lot cheaper of doing it yourself. It's not that complicated to do or anything...

I'm sorry, I didn't realise they were that pricey as I can arrange to get company discount (thx connections).
    Actually it was 374,53 euros for the following items:
    -Vervangen remvoeringen en wielremcilinders achter
    -vervangen van 1 lager naaf achter
    -proefrit
    -set remmen achter
    -lagerset
    -remreiniger 600ml
    -remolie
    (sorry for the dutch but I'm too lazy to find out what the right words for lagerset and remvoeringen are in english )

what was also included in that 612 euros was aligning my headlights, installing a new cable for my foglights (the front ones didn't work anymore) and installing a new ingnition coil because I was running on 3 cilinders. That's why I brought it in in the first place and then they noticed that my rear brake system and handbrake were completely shot.

The one time in Belgium in my car was so bizarre.. Terrible roads and even worse drivers. There was this one road along the river Schelde, where from great tarmac you went onto terrible pavement. As I was driving 65km/h () i was rammed into my seatbelts. Everything on the dashboard went walking, without me being able to grab it ! so funny ! Luckily only the gum went out of the window

Will also never forget the guy that signalled left, to turn right. Almost finished myself there since I was going 40 km/h... You crazy bastards
    You dutchies aren't the best drivers either you know . But the prefered way of leaving the highway is go as far and close as possible to the exit, locate a yellow plate and put yourself in front of them. You're pretty disciplined in letting people pass and merge (ritsen ).
    But I agree that a lor of our roads are in a horrible state. The E17 is the worst of them all, it's a true deathtrap.

I want to see the Dyno Graph from Drakkies car.

if it registered.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Seems like you can fix everything...

I guess so. It seems to me it couldn't harm... On colder days I get it a little too. Maybe some lubricant in the suspension not lubing (?) enough or something ? I got it only on the rear...
    But you don't know anything about how basic suspension and shock absorbers work?

I can recommend you the yellow Koni's Lagonda.
    I had them on my '96 Megane Coupè 2.0 16V.
    They are as firm as the red ones on the softest, and stiff and good for a sporty drive on the hard setting. Though to change setting on the rear shocks you have to jack it up and take off the lower part of the shock. So that never gets done really. I set mine to a middle position in the back and in front i changed around, dependent on how/where i was going to drive.
    I am pretty sure that they have them for the Clio 2 as well..
    You just have to go to a Koni dealer and ask specifically for your car.
    They can most certainly find out which type that fits to your car.
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 08-28-2007 at 01:27 AM.

Yup, both red and yellow Koni's exist for the Clio 2. The Yellow ones are a bit expensive though. And I can't wait and save some money to get the yellow ones because I need to fix the problem within 14 days or otherwise my car becomes illegal to drive with.
    I found a place that sells Koni's very nearby, I think I'm going to get some info there.

Another question. Do I need to replace my front shocks at the same time if I replace my rear shocks with Koni's ? Or can I keep the OEM fronts untill they die?

Yup, both red and yellow Koni's exist for the Clio 2. The Yellow ones are a bit expensive though. And I can't wait and save some money to get the yellow ones because I need to fix the problem within 14 days or otherwise my car becomes illegal to drive with.
    I found a place that sells Koni's very nearby, I think I'm going to get some info there.

Another question. Do I need to replace my front shocks at the same time if I replace my rear shocks with Koni's ? Or can I keep the OEM fronts untill they die?
    No. You can wait until they die. Though they car can be experienced a bit different in the damping. My advice would be to set the rear to the softest setting before mounting the front ones. And then adjust them up to medium or whatever you'd like when you upgrade in front to.

They are expensive.. But worth it.

Actually it was 374,53 euros for the following items:
    -Vervangen remvoeringen en wielremcilinders achter
    -vervangen van 1 lager naaf achter
    -proefrit
    -set remmen achter
    -lagerset
    -remreiniger 600ml
    -remolie
    (sorry for the dutch but I'm too lazy to find out what the right words for lagerset and remvoeringen are in english )
    Set of bearings and brake shoes are the correct words I think This amount seems ok for the job.. Offcourse nothing is cheaper than doing it yourself, but now you do know you got quality. I'm just a bit amazed that the garage's state the use of brake cleaner and the test drive specifically on the bill ! Over here those things are usually included in the price..

You dutchies aren't the best drivers either you know . But the prefered way of leaving the highway is go as far and close as possible to the exit, locate a yellow plate and put yourself in front of them. You're pretty disciplined in letting people pass and merge (ritsen ).
    But I agree that a lor of our roads are in a horrible state. The E17 is the worst of them all, it's a true deathtrap.
    That must have caused the problems then. I am the only Dutch blocking them off A good habit among Dutchies is to cut off every Belgium guy we find and then responding in a way that they are the cause of it ! Pity I couldn't do it to every Belgian car, when I was in Antwerp..

Also had a Belgium family ram their Peugeot 307 into my side Saturday night. On the infamous Hofplein in Rotterdam, they got lost and all of a sudden changed lanes without looking.. into the lane where I was.. My nerves almost literally shot through the roof... Obviously a lack of intelligence,which hampers many belgians, might be the problem here

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    I want to see the Dyno Graph from Drakkies car.

if it registered.
    Because of a move, the equipment is currently unavailable to us. IIRC we will get a new workshop in January. 20.000 square meters FTW

I promise you that I will post it when I get it

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    Seems like you can fix everything...
    Never said that mate !

But you don't know anything about how basic suspension and shock absorbers work?
    I do know, but mostly in theory. That is the disadvantage of University/Hogeschool. Many theory and calculations and less practical lessons. The brake system has been covered pretty extensive for me though as I have revised the Sierra's brake system for a kitcar with a buddy... Others did suspension.

That must have caused the problems then. I am the only Dutch blocking them off A good habit among Dutchies is to cut off every Belgium guy we find and then responding in a way that they are the cause of it ! Pity I couldn't do it to every Belgian car, when I was in Antwerp..
    Oh, oh,
    Also had a Belgium family ram their Peugeot 307 into my side Saturday night. On the infamous Hofplein in Rotterdam, they got lost and all of a sudden changed lanes without looking.. into the lane where I was.. My nerves almost literally shot through the roof... Obviously a lack of intelligence,which hampers many belgians, might be the problem here
    the irony ...
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Never said that mate !
    Please don't call me mate.

I do know, but mostly in theory.
    How can you say something like this drakkie? It's a clear contradiction to things you have said earlier in this thread.

Prize winning example:
    Maybe some lubricant in the suspension not lubing?? wtf??
    How little do you really know?? Can you explain to me what lubricants you can find in a suspension system?

You don't know everything about cars and automotive technology after one year at automotive engineering or whatever you are studying.

But we are all very aware that you THINK you know everything

Im with Loco go the yellow Konis, very nice shock, external adjustment and can be rebuilt also, if needed. I know guys that have run Konis in their track cars and never touched them.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Please don't call me mate.

How can you say something like this drakkie? It's a clear contradiction to things you have said earlier in this thread.
    I never said that. I don't know where exactly you read it, but I sure as hell didn't. big wtf moment for me here... Migraine not helping either today..

Prize winning example:

Maybe some lubricant in the suspension not lubing?? wtf??
    How little do you really know?? Can you explain to me what lubricants you can find in a suspension system?
    I meant some grease or something similar between the moving parts of the suspension. I apologise for my english, i couldn't really find the right words there.

You don't know everything about cars and automotive technology after one year at automotive engineering or whatever you are studying.

But we are all very aware that you THINK you know everything
    My study. Site is not very good, but it's better than nothing.

I've got a lot to learn. Absolutely. My practical knowledge and hands-on experience is also lagging behind a bit. It ain't the purpose of the study in the first place ! And I never said I know everything in the first place !

Back on topic now please.

On thin ice now bambi.

I do know, but mostly in theory. That is the disadvantage of University/Hogeschool. Many theory and calculations and less practical lessons. The brake system has been covered pretty extensive for me though as I have revised the Sierra's brake system for a kitcar with a buddy... Others did suspension.
    Ohhh. Sierra brake system is complicated!! I bet you did use all of the first year on that right?

I never said that. I don't know where exactly you read it, but I sure as hell didn't. big wtf moment for me here... Migraine not helping either today..
    In this post
    you said that. Stop whining you little girl.

I meant some grease or something similar between the moving parts of the suspension. I apologise for my english, i couldn't really find the right words there.
    Suspension system mainly consists of bolts and rubber bushes.
    Not much grease that don't "lubricate" and make sounds to find here. At least not in those movements you explain.

My study. Site is not very good, but it's better than nothing.

I've got a lot to learn. Absolutely. My practical knowledge and hands-on experience is also lagging behind a bit. It ain't the purpose of the study in the first place ! And I never said I know everything in the first place !
    So shut up until you know something about a topic, and then post useful information when you actually KNOW something. Don't pop into threads and post assumptions on how you THINK it is.

Back on topic now please.
    It's not up to you to decide that.

On thin ice now bambi.
    You threatening me here ? You know a can file a complaint for it at the police ?

Ohhh. Sierra brake system is complicated!! I bet you did use all of the first year on that right?
    No, it was not ! So what ??? I did learn the basics, which is important too. How did you learn ? Not by grabbing the first Ferrari you could get right ? And actually we did way more. I installed (in a team with 3 others) a large part of the car's electronic system, after having installed a new gearbox and clutch. Not so easy job there as the bell house had to be altered to fit.

In this post
    you said that. Stop whining you little girl.
    I still don't see where you see that.. Not meant to mean that anyway !! ...whatever...

Suspension system mainly consists of bolts and rubber bushes.
    Not much grease that don't "lubricate" and make sounds to find here. At least not in those movements you explain.
    Ok.. Not thinking too clear with the migraine of the last days. Apologies.

So shut up until you know something about a topic, and then post useful information when you actually KNOW something. Don't pop into threads and post assumptions on how you THINK it is.
    Do you think you know anything then ? I am just assuming things and trying to help the guy out a little. Not meant wrong or whatever. since it is also a problem I sometimes have, I was hoping to actually receive some useful answer to it too or something. Jesus, don't make an elephant of a tiny mosquito.

It's not up to you to decide that.
    Will you decide that than for me, since you are so f**king perfect ?
    Last edited by drakkie; 08-28-2007 at 07:51 AM.

Thread Information