Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turning an Auto into an Auto-Manual?

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    it's a triumph spitfire, with 5 spd manual - but in 5th the button on the dash can be pushed and it's like an artificial gear or something, the revs drop so it's quieter at higher speeds. i'm not sure how to explain it exactly
    Ah yea. They have electronic overdrives inside the transmission. MGB's had them also, they tend to blow apart if used incorrectly.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Ah yea. They have electronic overdrives inside the transmission. MGB's had them also, they tend to blow apart if used incorrectly.
    haha define incorrectly..
    i was wondering if they can be fitted into the mini's?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Downshifting with it on. It doesn't like that at all.
    I don't think they can because it sits at the back of the transmission.
    Last edited by johnnynumfiv; 08-29-2007 at 07:57 PM.

How do you know it's a crate motor?
    thread
    Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing
    Im pretty sure its not the L98 in there anymore, from what he's told me its a brand spanking new crate engine and of all the 350s out there i doubt he'd stick another L98 in it. Im very sure of it he also mentioned it doesnt have the TPI like the orig. did. As for the whos is faster, we'll just have to race someday as I dont plan on ever getting rid of it (hopefully)
    AFAIK no welding and very little wiring is involved in this swap. If you read the Swap Guide pretty much everything he needs and all he needs to do is covered. It would be difficult, meaning it would take a few days to a week, for someone whose new to cars, but by no means impossible.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    thread
    AFAIK no welding and very little wiring is involved in this swap. If you read the Swap Guide pretty much everything he needs and all he needs to do is covered. It would be difficult, meaning it would take a few days to a week, for someone whose new to cars, but by no means impossible.
    Id probably just get a friend of mines mechanic to do it...ill watch but i dont wanna screw with the transmission. Ill jack somthing up and end up in a ditch.
    1987 Pontiac GTA Trans Am (Parked-Project car)
    Orange/Cloth
    Future ideas:
    LS1/LT1 or Twin Screw S/C L98 TPI
    True duels/side pipes

2001 Hyundai Tiburon 2.0 (DD)
    Black/Black and Grey Leather

The B&M racing shifter works a treat and gives the best of both worlds, I promise.
    Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    thread
    Never saw that thread. But fresh paint+ newb= zomg it's a crate motor!

My mistake, ive been notified that its actualy a 350 out of a chevy pickup that i would assume had low miles or rebuilt. Im currently having my rotors and breaks replaced as well as the carb. that was apparently not the right kind for the engine. The mechanic, which is a "friend of a client of my mothers" go figure, also he told me that its got "3/4 cam" which he kinda explained by saying 4/4 is like racing cam...in other words i think the guy before me went a little overboard on this project. But i love it regardless
    Orange/Cloth
    Future ideas:
    True duels/side pipes

Haha looking at the post after yours... I guess you were right. Never hurts to go check the block casting numbers yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    My mistake, ive been notified that its actualy a 350 out of a chevy pickup that i would assume had low miles or rebuilt. Im currently having my rotors and breaks replaced as well as the carb. that was apparently not the right kind for the engine. The mechanic, which is a "friend of a client of my mothers" go figure, also he told me that its got "3/4 cam" which he kinda explained by saying 4/4 is like racing cam...in other words i think the guy before me went a little overboard on this project. But i love it regardless
    welcome to the world of nothing going right So what engine is it exactly? I'm not very knowledgeable about sbc's besides those in the third gen's... especially not pickup ones.
    I'm guessing it's an L98 or earlier 350 converted to carb with a really hot cam?

Maybe it's just me but, why not enjoy it as it is save some money and when you can buy a manual car?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Aah, never mind the B&M shifter, some solutions are just too simple, easy, inexpensive, effective and reliable anyway.

I say stick with outrageously complicated and expensive. Sorting out endless problems can be fun too.
    Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

Calm down guys, whatever i do its gonna have to wait a while anyways. I just had ~$1000 in break and rotor work done and i still need a stall converter put in. I liked the old carb better, this one idles too low.
    Orange/Cloth
    Future ideas:
    True duels/side pipes

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    Calm down guys, whatever i do its gonna have to wait a while anyways. I just had ~$1000 in break and rotor work done and i still need a stall converter put in. I liked the old carb better, this one idles too low.
    Adjust the idle?

Adjust the idle?
    you can do that? I thought thats what the torque converter was for?
    Orange/Cloth
    Future ideas:
    True duels/side pipes

Thread Information