Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '99 Merc. SL500 vs. '01 CL600?

'99 Merc. SL500 vs. '01 CL600?

Since Jim Napolis is a UCP member I feel less arrogant talking about a very wealthy dilema.

My wife's driving a clapped-out 1989 BMW 525i (which she loves) with 180,000 miles on the clock and due for a very $thorough$ freshening.

We're comfortably below the poverty line, but my family has money

(and that's the only one of those I'll ever use)

Pop's got a 1999 Merc. SL500 literally just sitting around. It's got a 302-horse V-8, the desirable sport pack and is finished in one of the two proper colors for a sporty Merc., silver.
    Without question a very, very fine car, but not for me.

Folks who say these SLs are an akward compromise of sports and luxury clearly haven't the proper breeding to understand what a GT is, according to me.

I totally "get" the 127-chassis SLs (but prefer the simpler, previous generation 107s) and have had some great drives in the SL500, but my tastes run too far into the red-lined world of outright, uncompromised driver's cars to really fall in love with it like I have my STi.

Well, Pops told my wife she could just take the SL500, and what a stylish couple we would be then. However, never one to make anything simple, he's got a deal in the works to trade the SL500 almost even to a very wealthy lawyer, who left my cousin at the alter, turning out at the last second to be homosexual.

The rest of the family still holds a grudge, but me and my folks never turned out backs on the guy. We're cool like that, plus, you shouldn't ever exile a lawyer completely. That's a mistake that's liable to bite you on the ass in countless unforseeable ways.

Anyway, the lawyer's got a 2001 CL600 with the 360 some-odd horse V-12. I do hear say that's a fine, fine piece of motoring iron under that bonnet. But, that bonnet, along with the rest of the CL's bodywork, doesn't have the presence, "wow-factor" and grace of the SL.

Pop'll call the deal off if we decide to stick with the SL, and says he's got high hopes for a fair trade if he pursues it.

I'd love to drive that SL fast down some open, flowing roads, but to serenely motor along behind that V-12 has an appeal I don't think any of us can deny.

It's the best problem I've ever had, and I'd invite everybody's input to help give us perspective to make a choice between two great options.

Squawk.

I suppose the big question is which is better (read cheaper) to insure for your better half?

would she prefer a convertible (or at least that option)?

In all honestly given the choice I'd be all over a SL. even if i was just going to sell it further down the road - it'd be worth more. and I think it's a much younger persons car than a CL.

I suppose the other end of the spectrum is the the CL is a lot more sociable car - but since you already drive a 4 door sedan that may not be a problem
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

if it was me, i'd go with the V8. the V12 is going to be bigger, more complex, yada yada yada. it would be great of course! but in the long run, perhaps the V8 is the better choice.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

i personally own a 1992 SL500 Brabus that i Brought from Japan, and i Also owned a Cl500.. but i must say to this day i still prefer the Cl over the That Gen SL because Simple of the unique Style and Grace it has. if i where your father i would trade cars with out second guessing myself hands down
    Attached Images Attached Images
    people take different routes just to reach the same END...... DEATH

I personally prefer the gentlemans express, the CL, altough I'd personally prefer it with a V8. Also the CL would probably make more sense being a first car. However having already a 4 door family saloon (sort of), probably the SL, being a convertible, is a better option for those weekend cruises.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

I'm not a huge fan of the Mercs like that, but I'd go with the SL. It'll have a better noise and the option to slow the roof to better enjoy it. The V12ness of the CL would be enjoyable, but the noise that Merc V8s can make wins every time.

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    I absoltely love the SL to death. It's a stunning car, and the convertible never hurt anyone. The Cl 600 doesn't have the sleek looks and fun potential of the SL, it seems more like a leather clad coffin, it's just too damn big...I'd also guess that running a V12 will set you back more then a V8 and it's not like the V8 is down on power to begin with. While anyone should be honoured to own a V12 the body it's housed in makes a difference..TAKE THE SL!!!!
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

What a dilemma, sucks to be you.....

My girlfriend prefers the CL600, mainly because of its more contemporary styling, but what does she know. The CL is a bit more luxurious , but the SL500 is plenty luxurious, especially for a young couple.

I think that the SL500 will be much more of a pleasure to drive on a daily basis because of its shorter wheel base and shorter over all length. Eventhough the SL has staggered wheel sizes in all other areas of maintenance and operational cost it should be cheaper.

I think there is less chance of regret if you go with the SL. You should take a long road trip before winter.

No idea of the ownership reputation of those two models, or of course which of these individual examples will prove to be a better car in future years. In particular you'd have to hold some doubts whether that era of V12 Benz would prove to be particularly trouble free or cheap to own long term ..

That aside it's all down to personal model preferences isn't it? But if I had enough disposable budget and all else was hypothetically equal then I'd rather climb into a good W215 over the SL

Speaking of W107s check out the condition of > THIS <

Take the SL. I've always loved it but it would depend on if your wife wants a convertible or a coupe.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

She doesn't really know what she wants. She's just thrilled at the prospect of a new car. I'm pretty giddy about it too. Watch this space for the result (with resulting egg-nog).

I personally adore both. And contrary to many, I love the styling of the previous gen CL compared to the new one, mainly cos of that sexy C pillar, or B since it doesn't have an A-B-C.

Both would compare in a totally different sense, one's a huge GT car, the other a coupe cabrio. Form factor wise, I'd take the SL in no time, hence the usability gains of having an SL is better than the CL i guess.

SL ! A total revamp on merc's design would render it classy, as oppose to the current SL being 'OLD' once the new one arrived (in which it happened to the CL above mentioned).

Take the SL.
    www.secondaryperspective.blogspot.com

And the winner is:

SL 500. We're picking it up on Saturday. Pictures await...

Good choice.

Looking forward to pictures.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Congratulations.

It was a win win situation whichever one you chose.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Thread Information