Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Canadian dollar = US dollar

Canadian dollar = US dollar

(From Associated Press)

I guess maybe giving home loans to absolutely anyone and spending trillions on a war isn't the most prudential way to run an economy.

-------------------------------------

TORONTO -- The Canadian dollar reached parity with the U.S. dollar on Thursday for the first time since November 1976.

Known as the loonie because of the bird pictured on the one-dollar coin, the Canadian dollar has been gaining ground on its American counterpart since hitting an all-time low of 61.79 U.S. cents on Jan. 21, 2002.

This week the loonie rose sharply against its U.S. counterpart after the Federal Reserve announced a dramatic half-point cut in its benchmark interest rates. The Bank of Canada, meanwhile, has kept its equivalent rates stable.

As a result, the spread between U.S. and Canadian interest rates widened, making Canada a more attractive place for German, Japanese, American and other foreign investors to put their money.

The soaring loonie also reflects the strong fundamentals of the Canadian economy, which has benefited from record world crude oil prices and strong demand for metals, coal, chemicals and grain.

At the same time, the United States has been squeezed by a collapse of a big chunk of its housing market and a worsening credit crunch.

"Canadians are getting a lot richer relative to Americans. The parity exchange rate is just one example of that," said Jeff Rubin, Chief Economist and Strategist at CIBC World Markets.

"It really reflects the rise of the resource economy in Canada and the rise of western Canada and the decline of the manufacturing sector and the manufacturing heartland of Canada in Ontario," Rubin said.

The western Canadian province of Alberta is home to vast reserves of oil sands, a tar-like bitumen that is extracted using mining techniques. Industry officials estimate the oil sands will yield as much as 175 billion barrels of oil, making Canada second only to Saudi Arabia in crude oil reserves.

"The Canadian economy that once use to be the sleepy little resource backwater of the North American economy, is certainly turning the tables on its big brother in a hurry," Rubin said.

The high Canadian dollar will increase the number of cross-border shopping trips as Canadian consumers come to the U.S. to buy clothes, shoes and electronic gear. Many goods in Canada haven't been reduced yet to reflect the rising Canadian dollar.

"It's going to take some time before it trickles down to us," said Linda An, who calls herself a shopaholic. "Shopping, especially for big ticket items is great now in the U.S."

The high dollar will hurt Canadian manufacturers who sell goods in the U.S. Canadian Auto Workers economist Jim Stanford warned that the sector, largely based in Ontario, will lose hundreds of thousands more jobs if the dollar remains at current levels.

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    Represent Canada!!!! Taking names and kicking A%$...
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Loonie FTMFW.

is this a result of the weakening US dollar? i recall the AUD is doing well against the USD as well, making exports less lucrative or something
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    is this a result of the weakening US dollar? i recall the AUD is doing well against the USD as well, making exports less lucrative or something
    I kinda hope it doesn't do so well, since that might affect Holden exports to America.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Loonie > Smackeroo. We pwn.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering View Post
    I kinda hope it doesn't do so well, since that might affect Holden exports to America.
    yeah, that's what i mean, except it's not a case of the AUD doing well as it is the USD doing so shit?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    yeah, that's what i mean, except it's not a case of the AUD doing well as it is the USD doing so shit?
    Totally. As I mentioned in the first post:

I guess maybe giving home loans to absolutely anyone and spending trillions on a war isn't the most prudential way to run an economy.

The benefit of this is only we can now buy US stuff for less.....as a country our export will suffer(biggest trading partner is US afterall)....

weak US dollar...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

We run the economic show
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy View Post
    We run the economic show
    five years ago the Euro was 0.80 US$, now it is over 1.40$. You tell me who is running the show...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    five years ago the Euro was 0.80 US$, now it is over 1.40$. You tell me who is running the show...
    The Euro took $0.60 US in value over 5 years, while the Canadian dollar took $0.38 US in value over 5 years. Until now, you're winning... except, the Euro is used by 13 countries and 3 other territories, while the Canadian dollar is used by... Canadians.
    Reginald *IB4R* says:
    it was a beautiful 35 seconds.
    David says:
    that's what she said

Quote Originally Posted by fisetdavid26 View Post
    . except, the Euro is used by 13 countries and 3 other territories
    and by Chavez and Ahmadinejad to pay for oil....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    Canada is definitely not running the show, however our economy - in spite of manufacturing sector losses - is strong and the US economy is in a bit of a rocky patch. Rather strangely, having the Canadian economy so relatively strong to the American one can actually hurt the Canadian economy in turn as we rely on a favourable balance of trade with the States for wealth.

As you non-Canadians can see by our responses and interest in this news item, having the Canadian dollar at par with or greater than the American dollar is a matter of pride for many Canadians as we see the US our main rival, even though our nations share one of the tightest bonds between any two nations in the world (that I know of). Many of us love to see our big brother in tough times while we are faring well. A bit sadistic.

On a different note, Canada has arguably the second largest known oil reserve in the world. As the price of oil rises as supply from other countries become scarce (and if conflict and tension and the middle east remains or escalates), the relatively small oil operation in northern Alberta will explode and Canada's economy will become one of the strongest in the world. The only thing keeping the operation in Alberta from growing any faster - and it is growing at a near breakneck pace (fueled by the work of Newfoundland and Labradorians) is the relatively high price of extracting oil from the tar sands.

henk4, as for who is running the show, I think we all know it is the Americans, not the Europeans, Asians, or especially Canadians that is in command of the world economy - that will change as China and India develop however.

As for Canada's economy in comparison to the eurozone's, one must consider that the eurozone encompasses 316 million people while the Canadian comprises but 33 million, not to mention that the eurozone contains such economic powerhouses as France and Germany. Canada is but one country - albeit one country with arguably the most abundant and diverse natural resources in the world - but one country no less, and for our dollar to be this high is a testament to the strength of this small (in terms of population) country's economic strength.

Rather interestingly, the yesterday marked the all-time low of the American dollar to the Euro - I think this just shows how much this sub-prime mortgage lending issue is hurting the American economy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    henk4, as for who is running the show, I think we all know it is the Americans, not the Europeans, Asians, or especially Canadians that is in command of the world economy - that will change as China and India develop however.
    After investigating further, it seems as though that the European Union appears to have about the same GDP as the United States does. However, the EU is a loose group of associated countries while the US is one nation (I suppose it could be argued that each State in the US has significant power in it's own right however).

Thread Information