Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RUMOR: Alonso to Ferrari for $40 Million

RUMOR: Alonso to Ferrari for $40 Million

Well this is serious shit. Heavy as well. From Autoblog:

We're going to call this one a rumor for at least a little while, but wow. We just got wind of this monster deal that would really cause a major stir in the already tumultuous world of Formula One. News of the World just reported that two-time world driving champion Fernando Alonso is leaving McLaren-Mercedes next year. While that was considered a sure thing in the wake of Stepneygate and all, the real shocker is that he isn't headed to Renault to be reunited with Flavio Briatore as expected. Instead, they have him going to Ferrari of all places. The report says that a cool $40 million was the price to secure Alonso for the scuderia. As they point out, it should be a relatively easy transition for Fernando, who has already been *ahem* studying design features of the Ferrari all season.

With current Ferrari pilot Felipe Massa headed to Toyota, Fernando will be joining current #3 in the driver's race, Kimi Raikkonen, in '08. It should make for another interesting battle over who's number one. The same article that tells of Fernando going to Maranello also bolsters the rumor that Ross Brawn will be stepping up as team manager when Jean Todt leaves at the end of the season. It's not often that the silly season starts this early, but this has been a very atypical year for the FIA and its premier racing class. We'll do some digging and see if we can find other sources to back this one up. But until then, this can only make the last three races of the season more compelling TV.
    I've just poked around the internet and can't seem to find anything else about it so this may be a load of hogwash - I suppose only time will tell but I figured even though it is a rumor it needs to be posted and discussed.

I read somewhere else that he is going to NASCAR.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

There has been a bit of talk about it. With Fernando not exactly happy at McLaren. The whole thing is over, what the SpeedTV commentators say, that he isn't happy at all about not being the true #1 at McLaren. Of course he wouldn't be #1 at Ferrari, unless a deal is cut for that. It's rather ridiculous if that's what it's all about.

Felipe Massa is being linked to Toyota....so bye bye Ralf?

Very interesting, it would be another Whose #1 situation though. I could see Alonso's ego getting in the way and him wanting the number one spot, but maybe the team would say "Race on" and have an open competition for the spot.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    I read somewhere else that he is going to NASCAR.
    JV got 21st in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series. Woot. What an embarrassment he has become. He won the goddamn Indy 500 in 1995 as well as the Champ Car championship in the same year, nearly won the WDC in 1996 and won it in 1997. How did he become so shit? If I recall correctly, his times in the Peugeot were nowhere near his teammates. Now he is racing trucks? What a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    There has been a bit of talk about it. With Fernando not exactly happy at McLaren. The whole thing is over, what the SpeedTV commentators say, that he isn't happy at all about not being the true #1 at McLaren. Of course he wouldn't be #1 at Ferrari, unless a deal is cut for that. It's rather ridiculous if that's what it's all about.

Felipe Massa is being linked to Toyota....so bye bye Ralf?
    I think it was tossed around that Fernando would leave McLaren but I figured he would go back to Renault, Ferrari hadn't even crossed my mind. Going to Ferrari will leave him in pretty much the same pickle as he is in at McLaren though as he will not be #1 as you say Zytek_Fan, and will be fighting a driver who is on par with Lewis anyways (though Fernando has 2 championships and Kimi none, I'd that barring some reliability issues with the McLaren car when Kimi was there it could easilly be two championships to Kimi and only one to Fernando, so I'd say that these two drivers are about the same in terms of skill and pace) - it makes little sense other than that he probably wants out of the current situation he is in, but maybe lacks the foresight to see that shit is gonna be the exact same at Ferrari if he goes there - maybe Kimi will give him less lip as Kimi doesn't seem to talk much though.

Anyways, here is the article from Top Speed. I have now learned that the source for this is a British tabloid called News of the World - I will investigate that further in a minute. Maybe not too trustworthy?

I find it interesting that they note that in the Top Speed article, they claim Felipe Massa wants out of Ferrari because he sees Brawn as taking over the team from Todt. Who cares? I don't understand some driver's decisions. Felipe has things going great at Ferrari - he is challenging for the WDC for shit's sake. Why would you want to leave? More money? Madness! (This is F1!) I would personally rather make 5 million a year in a car that can win the title (a Ferrari) rather than 50 million a year in a car that can't (a Toyota). That's not saying that Toyota won't get better and Ferrari won't get worse, but as things stand - I just don't get it. Then again maybe it is just some rumor bullshit anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver View Post
    Very interesting, it would be another Whose #1 situation though. I could see Alonso's ego getting in the way and him wanting the number one spot, but maybe the team would say "Race on" and have an open competition for the spot.
    Exactly. Then again, maybe Fernando knows this but has just grown to hate everyone at McLaren so much and is willing to leave those people behind and go to Ferrari even though he knows he will not be #1 there. I did hear a few days ago on BBC World that he and Ron Dennis were no longer on speaking terms, so things do seem to have degenerated to a level which precipitates this outcome.

As a final thought, I think it is damn clever of him not to go back to Renault like I expected him to do if he left McLaren as I'd say he has a better chance winning more championships with a team like Ferrari that has a better heritage , more money to spend, and more momentum and current quality/speed.

I just think Bocas prefers an F430 as his daily driver over a Twingo....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    JV got 21st in the NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series. Woot. What an embarrassment he has become. He won the goddamn Indy 500 in 1995 as well as the Champ Car championship in the same year, nearly won the WDC in 1996 and won it in 1997. How did he become so shit? If I recall correctly, his times in the Peugeot were nowhere near his teammates. Now he is racing trucks? What a joke.
    You should not forget that he is very much a single seater racer. I believe that before this season, he only raced a tin-top car once or twice and that was way back in 1991. This year he has entered a completely different type of racing than what he is used to and is surrounded by hugely experienced drivers. His times at Le Mans weren't all that bad and he proved to be the most frugal driver at Peugeot. And let's face it; NASCAR is not quite as easy as Formula 1 where you can put a car on pole at your debut.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    You should not forget that he is very much a single seater racer. I believe that before this season, he only raced a tin-top car once or twice and that was way back in 1991. This year he has entered a completely different type of racing than what he is used to and is surrounded by hugely experienced drivers. His times at Le Mans weren't all that bad and he proved to be the most frugal driver at Peugeot. And let's face it; NASCAR is not quite as easy as Formula 1 where you can put a car on pole at your debut.
    I am looking at his racing history on wikipedia and the only instance of sportscar racing I can seem to find is his participation in 1988 in the Alfa Cup. Is that what you were thinking of?

Regardless of his competence (or recently, incompetence) with single seaters, I would then raise the question of why he bothered racing in sportscars (or in the present case, sportstrucks) in the first place if he was only used to racing in single seaters. I suppose he was desperate for a job though.

"NASCAR is not quite as easy as Formula 1 where you can put a car on pole at your debut." What do you mean by that? Do you mean that NASCAR is more competitive or difficult to drive in than F1 because the playing field is more level?

About his time in the Peugeot, I seem to remember that in the night section he was lapping several seconds per lap slower than Bourdais. He certainly didn't light any fires in qualification if memory serves. Who were the best Peugot drivers anyways? Bourdais and Sarrazin?

I am looking at his racing history on wikipedia and the only instance of sportscar racing I can seem to find is his participation in 1988 in the Alfa Cup. Is that what you were thinking of?
    Probably

Regardless of his competence (or recently, incompetence) with single seaters, I would then raise the question of why he bothered racing in sportscars (or in the present case, sportstrucks) in the first place if he was only used to racing in single seaters. I suppose he was desperate for a job though.
    Money. You would do it as well and so would I. And also to kick Ricky Bubbbyyy's ass.
    "NASCAR is not quite as easy as Formula 1 where you can put a car on pole at your debut." What do you mean by that? Do you mean that NASCAR is more competitive or difficult to drive in than F1 because the playing field is more level?
    I was referring to his somewhat impressive debut into F1.
    About his time in the Peugeot, I seem to remember that in the night section he was lapping several seconds per lap slower than Bourdais. He certainly didn't light any fires in qualification if memory serves. Who were the best Peugot drivers anyways? Bourdais and Sarrazin?
    That race was not for outright pace anyway and secondly it is not so weird for him to struggle in the darkness especially compared to his highly experienced team-mates. Again, lap times at Le Mans in any session can be deceptive as we don't know what his targets were. I have not seen any negative remarks about his driving at Le Mans in serious media.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Money. You would do it as well and so would I. And also to kick Ricky Bubbbyyy's ass.
    Speak for yourself. I would be content with the millions of dollars I had already received in F1 and Indycar. I would seek alternate employment in either single seaters or sportscar racing somewhere, joining the Craftsman Truck series if and only if there were no other seats open, just so that I was racing somewhere. Mind you, this might be the case for Jacques. I still find it embarrassing though.

Were I in Jacques situation I could honestly say I would be aiming to get a seat somewhere in sportscar racing as I would make it my major goal to win Le Mans; wining Le Mans would put Jacques in I think a unique situation - who else has won the Indy 500, Indycar title, F1 WC and Le Mans? I don't think anybody.

Sorry, but **** him... he made this great scandal, he thinks too much about himself...

Indy 500, Indycar title, F1 WC and Le Mans? I don't think anybody.
    Why that list ?
    Graham Hill did all but the Indycar which didnt' exist back then
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Why that list ?
    Graham Hill did all but the Indycar which didnt' exist back then
    I chose that list so that it would put Jacques in a unique position.

Graham Hill though? He's an Englishman! What are you doing supporting him?

I jest.

I'm not buying the rumour personally. Ferrari's offtrack politics would be as bad as McLaren with Ron's obsession to control everything.
    I am the Stig

I read somewhere he was starting his own cookery programme. Tabloids these days...

Thread Information