Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: $$$$$$$$$

$$$$$$$$$

South Australia police are set to reduce the margin for error in their speed camera equipment to around 5km (previously believed to be 8kms). SA Police Commissioner Mal Hyde last week stated that official margins would be reduced.

For the majority of road users, Australian Design Rules (ADR) state that a car’s speedometer needs to be accurate to around 10km of the actual speed. This means vehicles can be traveling at 70km/hr while the speedometer only shows 60km/hr.

Interestingly, South Australia police department’s own speed detection adviser Lex Felix, is warning the police department that motorists will be unfairly fined due to lower margins. Mr Lex Felix is part of an organisation that also advise NSW, Victorian and QLD police on speed detection issues.

Mr Felix, who also trains police officers on the use of equipment, labeled the latest move by the SA police as “a money-grab off innocent people“.

“The bloke in the street has no chance with these tolerances. They have no way of knowing the true speed of their vehicle. There should be a tolerance level of at least 8km/h in a 60km/h speed zone.

SA Police Minister Paul Holloway has refused to comment on the issue, noting that it is strictly a police matter.

We suspect the latest move by the SA police department is another attempt at raising more revenue from speed detection units. South Australians be warned!

Speed Limit Margins Reduced &raquo Australian Car Advice | News Blog
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I guess what they are alluding to is cars we have on the roads today are better advanced gone are the days the 60-70's rust buckets hit the streets full time it's hard to spot down and out cars but they are still there, But if getting larger rims check that speedo. I have not got a speeding fine in the VP and i always go on or just a couple over, And i live in the capital of speed cameras.
    Last edited by SlickHolden; 10-04-2007 at 12:48 AM.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

it's like they have no other issues or crime to address....
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

So, are you guys joining the EU, then?

Seriously, welcome to the UK. I know someone who got 3 penalty points on their license and was fined for doing 32mph in a 30mph zone. Needless to say, it's going to Court...
    "This is hardcore." - Evo's John Barker on the TVR Tuscan S

Man, Europe and Australia are getting to be more like the novel 1984 every single day. Oh joy.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

<3 not having speed cameras.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    For the majority of road users, Australian Design Rules (ADR) state that a car’s speedometer needs to be accurate to around 10km of the actual speed. This means vehicles can be traveling at 70km/hr while the speedometer only shows 60km/hr.
    Actually it's 10%, not 10kmh.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I read a letter to the Ed in Australian 4x4 in response to an article by one of the writers. This came from a Cop who said everything I have always argued about road safety and the road toll.
    1. Based on the fact that thousand of new drivers take to the roads each year even maintaining the status quo is an achievement.
    2. People are more conscious of road safety whether or not they employ what they are told.
    3 Any reduction in road deaths is largely a result of the cars ability to avoid accidents by way of traction control, stability control and abs as well as improved handling.
    4. Survivability of a crash in these cars is improved immensely by airbags and improved seatbelt designs along improved structural attributes.
    5. People do not die in 50-60kmh road accidents.

Among others. The allegation that speed cameras and speeding fines have anything to do with it is a deceitful attempt to justify the millions of dollars that the government pull from basically safe and honest drivers.

I once read where someone had advocated that everyone fined for exceeding a 50kmh speed limit where not long ago it had been deemed perfectly safe to travel at 60kmh in much less safer cars should refuse to pay and take it to court. Given the thousands of such fines the courts would be impossibly clogged forcing some kind of action by the parasitic governments. Pity it is hard to coordinate such public disobedience. I would be in it if I knew I could rely on every one else to!

And a late addition I just today saw a billboard depicting a pedestrian being hit by a car stating that if the impact was 5kmh less she would have only had a broken leg. What idiots do they take us for?
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

cannot back that one up enough Crisis. We're getting plagues with speed cameras in the ACT. their numbers have doubled in the last 12 months with more to go up soon worst part is theyre all in 100 zones where 1000s of people commute to work, what do you think thats done for traffic flow not to mention less then 0.1% of the ACTs road accidents have happened in those sites combined yet the government insists its for "safety"

BULLSHIT!

Its to line the empty ACT treasury is what its for!
    The Datto will rage again...

we're getting fixed speed camera's along the M1 as a trial... personally i prefer signposted fixed speed camera's than cops hiding in 20m the underbrush with pew pew guns as you go past.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The innacuracy in the speedo's though is very rarely going to catch someone out. Most of the time, a car at an indicated 100km/h will be doing a few km/h less, its only the odd car on the road that will do more than indicated.

However, its still mathematically possible to happen so its pretty harsh for any government to try and avoid that. Surely though so long as the ADR's reman federal law, and its only the state governments making rulings theres a loophole there to be exploited in fighting any speeding fines?
    I am the Stig

IIRC MSN's falcon was doing an indicated 120 and according to some form of overhead speeding thingy in Vic was doing 114
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

I don't mind speed cameras so long as their profits are used to make roads better.

Anyone who's driven on the new, "Improved" Monaro highway near Russell knows that this is not the case.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    IIRC MSN's falcon was doing an indicated 120 and according to some form of overhead speeding thingy in Vic was doing 114
    That's pretty normal for the cars back then, My mums old VB was 100 it read 92.. The VP is fine i keep 100-102 and don't get caught, Same everywhere i drive the limit and get away fine. I think newer cars today are only 2kp/h off the limit.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

yeh that same thing Sam said i was doing 108 when i was doing 110.
    The Datto will rage again...

Thread Information