Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Antique Car Show - Chantilly, Virginia - June 17, 2007

Timothy thanks for sharing your terrific pics

You chose a great selection. The one of the '65 Riviera reminds me of my old one, nearly identical. Almost 9 years of bliss (sob)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy (in VA) View Post
    Pictures #14

1. Ford; unsure of year or model
    2. Ford Super Deluxe; unsure of year
    1 = Model A Roadster, unsure of year
    2 = I think its a '46

Pictures #9
    6. Chevrolet Vega GT; I'd never heard of a GT model of the Vega before, and a brief search didn't turn anything up. Does anyone know more about this model?
    Here is a page from 1972 Vega brochure describing GT package.

Pictures #16
    3-6. Hudson Hornet; unsure of year
    Hudson is from 1952.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    Think it's a Buick Model 10 Touring - around year 1910, maybe.
    Thanks ; I had no idea where to start before. I'm not sure it's a Touring though. I did some research and think it may be a Model 10 Surrey, but I'm not sure. All the pictures of Tourings I could find had doors and a windshield, and the in all the pictures I found of the Surrey, it doesn't, like the one at the show. But I know very little about early Buicks, and good information is hard to find, so I could easily be wrong. My best bet may be to wait until next year's show and hope it's there again.
    Last edited by Timothy (in VA); 10-10-2007 at 07:30 PM.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    Here is a page from 1972 Vega brochure describing GT package.

Hudson is from 1952.
    Awesome, thanks.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Another note about the vega's, the ones with aluminum blocks, the cylinder walls sank into the block making the engine useless unless rebuilt w/ sleeves. :P
    We have a bunch of them at the shop, fun little cars, loud as hell. They also built wagon GT's.
    High perfomance versions were made by Motion(we have a couple of those too), guaranteed 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

I run vega gt wheels on my race car.
    Last edited by johnnynumfiv; 10-10-2007 at 07:52 PM.

Thanks ; I had no idea where to start before. I'm not sure it's a Touring though. I did some research and think it may be a Model 10 Surrey, but I'm not sure. All the pictures of Tourings I could find had doors and a windshield, and the in all the pictures I found of the Surrey, it doesn't, like the one at the show. But I know very little about early Buicks, and good information is hard to find, so I could easily be wrong. My best bet may be to wait until next year's show and hope it's there again.
    Strange.. I thought that surreys appeared in 1950s... It is something new for me, then.
    And.. I think I've seen pics of the following car taken at some event this year somewhere in the net, and think I saved them, but couldn't find them neither in my collection nor in Internet.

Pictures #9

6. Chevrolet Vega GT; I'd never heard of a GT model of the Vega before, and a brief search didn't turn anything up. Does anyone know more about this model?
    Great pics. I drove one of these new, from 1973-1976, first "compact" F/R driver I cut my teeth on. Other than the all-Aluminum engine tanking at about 30k miles and replaced with I believe a iron-sleeved model under warranty, it was a decent car for its day. It was a gold-ish color with white GT stripes. It was my father's car, he was heavily into FB SCCA at the time, he more than once said it was one of the better handling US Compact cars he'd driven.

The handling was pretty good, at least in the GT. 6" wide rims with 13" tires made for a pretty solid footprint. I had the one time opportunity to also ride in the Cosworth version of this car, which sported a Cosworth engine transplant, some other features, and came in black with gold trim. That model was pretty quick, something a little lacking in the GT

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Another note about the vega's, the ones with aluminum blocks, the cylinder walls sank into the block making the engine useless unless rebuilt w/ sleeves. :P
    We have a bunch of them at the shop, fun little cars, loud as hell. They also built wagon GT's.
    High perfomance versions were made by Motion(we have a couple of those too), guaranteed 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile.

I run vega gt wheels on my race car.
    They sure did, our GT lasted 30k on the first engine, I am thinking the replacement was still Aluminum with cylinder wall sleeves. The wheels are light, 13"x6", although the tires it had at the time were downright scary (bias ply even on the GT). Brakes were also scary weak, or maybe I just drove too fast - I was only about 15 at the time out in the middle of nowhere in Oregon, with many miles of open, empty roads.

I love these classic US cars, too bad we don't have much of a car culture here in Europe...

Quote Originally Posted by winnieandbuzz View Post
    I love these classic US cars, too bad we don't have much of a car culture here in Europe...
    welcome.
    A brief search on google using "car clubs Holland" resulted in this
    http://www.mopar.nl/

They have a meeting schedule for 2009 but not yet specified.

and I haven't checked the other links further.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information