Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: All Change!

Yeah, the black interiors are a bit of a bitch to keep clean, as for the bulbs, neither of our Audi's have had any problems, but my friends Mum drives a 1998 A6 Avant on which the dipped beams on one side blow all the time. They aren't sure what it is either, see if your local Audi dealer has any clue, if you do find a reason, I'd be very interested to know it
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

update:

I have done about 4000 miles now in the car since October when i bought it.

got a quote for an audi service (which is done by apprentices as far as i can see)..its in the ball park of £300 before unexpected costs. It has a variable service interval whichh is nice though. I am considering getting it done at a reputable independant..i know a good garage that might fit the bill. I have the service lists and know what needs checked, grease nipples etc, bushing checks etc.

When i was looking at the bushings I couldnt help but admire how the front subframe and suspension linkages are so cleverly formed to be structural and elegant..i will post some pics later but this car has so much interesting parts under the skin. I have also noticed that with the torsen diffential (centre diff), rear prop shaft, second exhaust assembly (inc 2 rear cats), rear diff and prop shafts under my A4, that there must be a few underbody cavities/spaces on non-quattro / single exhaust path models...

I am still very impressed with the qiuet cabin. I have noticed there is a fan like sound in traffic at idle..ok i know...radiator fan..its not that, its a differnt sort of whining noise that sounds like the AC system - but that could be off..its no big deal though, just because everything else is so suppressed. Also an AC vent cover thats located on the side of the transmission tunnel has come lose, because its in the way of drivers feet it probably gets a bit of a beating..still it just needs screwed back on. Embaressingly the boot has a habit of freezing shut in cold wet weather..can be a little awkward as you heave the boot lid up

As Tom might have pointed out, blowing bulbs are apparently a problem. I read that some audis have needed entire looms inspected..wow. Anyway im glad for me its one of the least important bulbs (sidelight)...changing this bulb takes around 25 minutes due to 4 fiddly screws and the intake assembly. To do any work on the car front you have to slide things forward. I recently discovered that there is a "service position" for the front assembly where without dismantling everything seperatly, the front slides out to allow timing belt change etc. I have some sevice manual pages detailing this process.

Also Its tyre time! As my car wears all 4 tyres at the same rate it makes changing a little simpler, especially if you get a deal on 4 tyres. My tyres are 235/45 R17 Y (not the usual 215 A4 width) so prices are a tad higher also. I will go through an online process with a local dealer to get a better choice.

current options (through black circles, price per tyre):

1) Michelin Primacy HP (121.87): I currently have these, plus my spare has this. As with many michelns a bit pricier, i guess this quite similar to the pilot sport, just the little brother. These tyres in my experience make better dry weather than wet weather tyres; perhaps the opposite of goodyear eagles.

2) Bridgestone RE050A XL (£113.38): Autocar seemed to like this tyre and while it has no great strengths is an ok allrounder.

3) Continental Sport Contact 3 (£114.99): i dont like the write ups for this tyre, while hard wearing, lack of comfort isnt too apealing, liked by germans apparently !?!

4) Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 (£102.49): A common choice for my car with 235s, they get good reviews (wear rate,noise, dry/wet grip), look great but there must be some flaws? a real contender right now anyway at the current deal price.

5) Dunlop SP9000 (101.93): these have softer side walls meaning better comfort i assume, plus the need more psi for this reason. apparently a bit unpredictable in the wet but still gets good reviews.

6) Pirelli Pzero Rosso (£110.98): reports of short life, seems below par on performance compared to a micheln pilot sport according to reviews.

7) Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (£123.70): more expensive but is it that much better? again not good on wear/comfort.

So has anyone got any reccomendations, other tyres i should cosider etc? I am thinking either to go for eagle F1s or the primacy HPs.

over and out
    Last edited by jediali; 02-05-2008 at 08:19 AM.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    I have the service lists and know what needs checked, grease nipples etc, bushing checks etc.
    A minor matter but I'd be rather surprised if your later-model Audi did have a greasable chassis ..?

A few years ago I tried out a new garage to service my '84 S-class. Their itemised bill included a "full chassis lube" charge which I queried, only to be told assertively that "Oh these old Mercs are riddled with grease nipples"

This demeanor of confident professionalism dropped a peg (as did the bill) when I advised my 'service advisor' that Mercedes ceased fitting grease nipples to their cars in 1972

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    A minor matter but I'd be rather surprised if your later-model Audi did have a greasable chassis ..?
    i think i was speaking crap in that sentence....id be very surprised if my car had these. the equivelant would be checking cv boots i guess.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    update:

I have done about 4000 miles now in the car since October when i bought it.

got a quote for an audi service (which is done by apprentices as far as i can see)..its in the ball park of £300 before unexpected costs. It has a variable service interval whichh is nice though. I am considering getting it done at a reputable independant..i know a good garage that might fit the bill. I have the service lists and know what needs checked, grease nipples etc, bushing checks etc.

When i was looking at the bushings I couldnt help but admire how the front subframe and suspension linkages are so cleverly formed to be structural and elegant..i will post some pics later but this car has so much interesting parts under the skin. I have also noticed that with the torsen diffential (centre diff), rear prop shaft, second exhaust assembly (inc 2 rear cats), rear diff and prop shafts under my A4, that there must be a few underbody cavities/spaces on non-quattro / single exhaust path models...

I am still very impressed with the qiuet cabin. I have noticed there is a fan like sound in traffic at idle..ok i know...radiator fan..its not that, its a differnt sort of whining noise that sounds like the AC system - but that could be off..its no big deal though, just because everything else is so suppressed. Also an AC vent cover thats located on the side of the transmission tunnel has come lose, because its in the way of drivers feet it probably gets a bit of a beating..still it just needs screwed back on. Embaressingly the boot has a habit of freezing shut in cold wet weather..can be a little awkward as you heave the boot lid up

As Tom might have pointed out, blowing bulbs are apparently a problem. I read that some audis have needed entire looms inspected..wow. Anyway im glad for me its one of the least important bulbs (sidelight)...changing this bulb takes around 25 minutes due to 4 fiddly screws and the intake assembly. To do any work on the car front you have to slide things forward. I recently discovered that there is a "service position" for the front assembly where without dismantling everything seperatly, the front slides out to allow timing belt change etc. I have some sevice manual pages detailing this process.

Also Its tyre time! As my car wears all 4 tyres at the same rate it makes changing a little simpler, especially if you get a deal on 4 tyres. My tyres are 235/45 R17 Y (not the usual 215 A4 width) so prices are a tad higher also. I will go through an online process with a local dealer to get a better choice.

current options (through black circles, price per tyre):

1) Michelin Primacy HP (121.87): I currently have these, plus my spare has this. As with many michelns a bit pricier, i guess this quite similar to the pilot sport, just the little brother. These tyres in my experience make better dry weather than wet weather tyres; perhaps the opposite of goodyear eagles.

2) Bridgestone RE050A XL (£113.38): Autocar seemed to like this tyre and while it has no great strengths is an ok allrounder.

3) Continental Sport Contact 3 (£114.99): i dont like the write ups for this tyre, while hard wearing, lack of comfort isnt too apealing, liked by germans apparently !?!

4) Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 (£102.49): A common choice for my car with 235s, they get good reviews (wear rate,noise, dry/wet grip), look great but there must be some flaws? a real contender right now anyway at the current deal price.

5) Dunlop SP9000 (101.93): these have softer side walls meaning better comfort i assume, plus the need more psi for this reason. apparently a bit unpredictable in the wet but still gets good reviews.

6) Pirelli Pzero Rosso (£110.98): reports of short life, seems below par on performance compared to a micheln pilot sport according to reviews.

7) Michelin Pilot Sport 2 (£123.70): more expensive but is it that much better? again not good on wear/comfort.

So has anyone got any reccomendations, other tyres i should cosider etc? I am thinking either to go for eagle F1s or the primacy HPs.

over and out
    Not quite sure how your 'fan' sound sounds but our A6 makes an odd whining noise at low-ish revs or until you mash the throttle. As for the boot thing, our old A6 used to get a little stuck in really cold weather and the new one with its 'Auto open' tends to open half-way and then get stuck. Either its the cold, or it needs a bit of grease. As for the bulbs, you may find indicators a little troublesome. In the early days of 1.8T A6 ownership our right indicators tended to flash for a bit, then stay on permanently and the new A6 sometimes won't self-cancel properly. I.e, the stalk goes back into place with a tap but the lights on the opposite side start flashing and in trying to get them to cancel other road users get confused as why you indicate Left Right Left Right Left in quick sucession.

For tyres, ours came with Conti Sport Contact 2's, the fronts were knackered by about 16,000mi but the rears would have lasted up until 30,000mi or more if it hadn't had been for the puncture. We replaced all 4 tyres with more 225/50 R17 Sport Contact 2's, whilst they are very comfortable and quiet they apprently seem to wear fairly fast according to reviews. Possibly not great on a Quattro equipped model. I'm not sure what they are but my Dad's but his A6 Quattro doesn't use the same tyres, but then again, in its 50something000mi it's had 6 sets of 4 tyres.
    V0R5PRU7NG DUR6CH T3CHN1K

Motion & Emotion

A few pics from my northern ireland wedding trip, Aberdeen to Warren Point/Armagh/Lisburn/Belfast (Stranraer-Belfast ferry):

1) After almost 800 miles round trip car is very muddy..still no problems whasover..averaged just under 40mpg with 4 up + luggage.

2)... Fezza parade awaiting stenaline ferry. Got a chance for some ferrari banter and police heckling. A fair few ferraris most new 599s, 430s, and some classics
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jediali; 04-27-2008 at 02:50 PM.
    autozine.org

1) braving the weather at Stranraer

2) Some fools sabotaging a wedding photo shoot (im far right)

3) the practical A4....now needs a good clean, front passenger getting earfulls for dropping chocolate on seats, but still everything in boot, quiet and comfy distane coverer. Engine was very good at moving a fully loaded car up hills without bogging down at all. Im surprised economy didnt suffer as much. downfalls are that I wnat to keep a nice cabin but not annoy my friends, I want to do 100+ on great country roads (with safety considered) but had a reall really sensitive female passenger who would get scared at most things above 60 (no kidding) - this is a perspective thing and the audi can do 80+ and still feel relativelt suddate in the back.
    Last edited by jediali; 04-27-2008 at 02:50 PM.
    autozine.org

Nice car mate

For tyres, I'd go for either Michelins.

Update

- Upgrade head unit about a year ago. Got RNS-E (MMI sat nav). Quite an easy install as all the plugs are there. Sorted out a custom plug adapter. Well worth it. Made a detailed PDF guide of install but its too big to upload.

- Hit a dear so had to change the wing and bits of the bumper.

- Only breakdown I have had was a predictable one. A coil pack went. Limped home and fitted a new set.

- Have not had a car in the past where my bike fits in the boot with all seats in place.

- fitting a new battery is a royal pain. A strengthening beam goes right across the bulkhead blocking the allen bolt which secures the battery!
    Last edited by jediali; 02-10-2010 at 01:39 AM.
    autozine.org

more....
    autozine.org

What is this Ferrari as seen in one of Jediali's shots?

i was thinking daytona.. but it isn't quite right.... anybody?
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

365 GTC/4; 500 examples, built in 1972 only.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

The gentlemen's Daytona. Very underrated.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

why is there no page on it then W?
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thread Information