View Poll Results: Who will win the RWC?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • South Africa

14 63.64%
  • England

8 36.36%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whos going to win the RWC?

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    If only because Johnny Wilkinson is the biggest problem with the game today.

It's a Team sport, and while they have some very good defensive players they still rely on his right boot more than they should.
    It isn't fair to say that Jonny Wilkinson is the biggest problem with the sport today. His dominance is just a consequence of what makes modern rugby union such a lame sport. The problem is two-fold...

Firstly, there are far too many stupid, pointless stoppages for minor infringements in and around the scrum and rucks/malls. This is largely down to the fact that forwards these days are so ridiculously big and strong that 90% of scrums end up collapsing, resulting in penalties. Also the number of times the referees give penalties for baffling, almost imperceptible fouls in rucks and malls is just so frustrating. There is no flow to the game, the ball hardly ever gets out to the backs where it should be. The amount of time spent stopping and starting makes the sport almost as ludicrous as NFL.

The second issue is that as a result of all the stops and starts, and crazy penalties the game becomes far too heavily based on kicking. This is compounded by the fact that there are far too many points on offer for kicking goals. You get 5 points for scoring a try, but THREE for just hoofing it between the posts. If you get a penalty anywhere in the opposition's half and you have a decent kicker in your team there is virtually no incentive to try to pass the ball and go for the big points, it makes far more sense just to hoof. It just so happens that in Jonny Wilkinson England have found someone ridiculously good at hoofing. You can't blame us for that. I guarantee any other rugby playing nation would kill for a player like Jonny in their team and would use him in exactly the same way.

To improve the sport the bottom line is they need to get rid of all the time wasted in scrums and rucks etc, and they need to cut the number of points on offer for penalties and drop goals. In short, they should all just play Rugby League! It's just a better, faster, more entertaining sport in every way!

Having said all that, I'll still be in the pub tonight hoping we batter the Seth Effricans!
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

WOOHOO!!!

The Boks won!

Gotta say, the English played really well. If that one try was given it may have well turned out quite different. Definitely the team of the tournament.

But, the Boks won! I may as well give away my nationality by now I guess - I'm a Seff Efrican too.

I was skeptic, I'll admit, but all's good!

You should see the people here, crazy stuff... People flying flags hooting in the streets, the ladies screaming "Bokke" from sunroofs, everyone hugging each-other (and trust me, some need the support to be able to stand up straight )...

Good stuff all round.

EDIT: BTW, I can confirm what Jack_Bauer said about Johnny Wilkinson. 4 years ago all the papers here headlined along the lines of "We need a Johnny Wilkinson!". And then we remembered Percy Montgomery

I'm cracking a beer open to you guys (the English) though, great team. Besides, pretty sure Hamilton will be taking some gold your way tomorrow
    Last edited by Kooper; 10-20-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Hey Kooper,

Im not an avid rugby fan by ANY means but that game was so tense! Although I gotta say we did deserve that try, as the leg was clearly raised when the ball crossed the line.

But congrats to you, you played well and I hope we didnt come across too much of a bad losing side on the box .

C'MON HAMILTON!

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by robcooper View Post
    Hey Kooper,

Im not an avid rugby fan by ANY means but that game was so tense! Although I gotta say we did deserve that try, as the leg was clearly raised when the ball crossed the line.

But congrats to you, you played well and I hope we didnt come across too much of a bad losing side on the box .

C'MON HAMILTON!

Rob.

Hehe, thanks for the congrats Rob!

I'm pretty sure about 6 million South Africans are going to disagree with you about that try, not so sure myself, but I'm not going to say that out loud out of fear of being lynched!

Cheers man

Haha, no worries.

I hardly watched any of the other games in the Cup, but that one was worth watching!...If not for a massive let down .

Will you be watching the F1 Koop?

Brilliant spectacle! Not nice for England to try and shove our Percy down a camera's lense though, that should have been a red card.

English press today are focussing on 'that try', trying to imply foulplay. They weren't playing tennis, the line is OUT and in case of doubt, the decision must go to the defending team, so make like the excellent English players and stop moaning. Even if given, the score would have been 15-13 at best, but from that angle, more likely 15-11, makes no difference.

Bokke, were bursting with pride over your achievement and well done England for making such a comeback through the tournament, phenominal, but fortunately just short of miraculaous.
    Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by robcooper View Post
    Haha, no worries.

I hardly watched any of the other games in the Cup, but that one was worth watching!...If not for a massive let down .

Will you be watching the F1 Koop?
    Nah, they don't show F1s here live any more except if you've got satellite.

I'll probably check out what happened on the net though as usual, looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Hey Doug, didn't realize there was another SA guy here! How did Joburg look last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Kooper View Post
    Hey Doug, didn't realize there was another SA guy here! How did Joburg look last night?
    Looked pretty normal from my vantage point, but sounded like a war zone into the wee hours!!
    Doug

We start any venture with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience before we empty the bag of luck.

Another World Cup over without any tries, personally Argentina vs. France was a much better game.

Rob, that try from England in the final was correctly not given, if you had been watching the replays properly you would have seen the leg hit the just pass the line, this was barely noticeable, then bounce.
    Last edited by #1 Mustang Fan; 10-21-2007 at 09:54 PM.
    Miscommunication seems to be a direct result of misplaced, text based sarcasm.

Doug

I stand corrected.

Very proud Seff African, but unfortunately the player selection is now turning totally political and strong chance we're going to loose coach White. Sad day that'll be.Great inspirational coach and always cucumber cool.
    Why can't they just leave the sportsmen to carry on with what they do best ??
    Bug
    Bugattitude
    "Nothing is too beautiful, nothing is too expensive"
    Ettore Bugatti

Because its much more a political game at that level.

Thread Information