Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dodge Magnum and Chrysler Crossfire discontinued?

Dodge Magnum and Chrysler Crossfire discontinued?

The company announced it will eliminate four auto models through 2008, including the Dodge Magnum wagon, the convertible version of the Chrysler PT Cruiser, the Chrysler Pacifica crossover and the Chrysler Crossfire sports car.
    Chrysler to cut up to 12,000 jobs - Yahoo! News

I'm actually really upset about this.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

No doubting it is a shame that those people are out of a job, however the PT convert is UGLY, the Magnum has no real purpose, the Pacifica I have no real problem with but it isn't great and the Crossfire needed more power and maybe a slightly better design.

That's interesting, because the Magnum they could profit off of through fleet sales and such, such as police cars/taxis/rental agencies. It makes sense that they're getting rid of the Magnum though, but shouldn't they also get rid of the Charger and the 300C because they're all based off of the E Class platform? Makes no sense to get rid of just the Magnum. Also, the Crossfire (what a stupid name) is just a Mecedes SLK, and the previous one at that too. It's about time to either redo it or get rid of it all together. The PT Cruiser fad is over, so that makes sense too. The Pacifica could be a problem though, cause that definitely looks better than a Town and Country, although I wouldn't like either car to begin with.

I really liked the Magnum a lot. It's so sad that people just don't like estates that much over here.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    The crossfire had more potential than they allowed it, but I don't think the other ones will be missed that much.
    I dont if I'll make home tonight
    But I know I can swim
    under the Tahitian moon

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Gekiga In View Post
    I really liked the Magnum a lot. It's so sad that people just don't like estates that much over here.
    That's true. Wagons truly are more useful than SUV's.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft View Post
    The crossfire had more potential than they allowed it, but I don't think the other ones will be missed that much.
    They could have done so much more with it. It's one of those coulda, shoulda, woulda things.

Hated the crossfire but the Magnumm seemed to do well.

The crossfire was hideous and awful, the Magnum was a good car

PT cruiser was just as bad as the crossfire, pacifica was little better

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Gekiga In View Post
    It was also classified as a light truck instead of a car so they could escape CAFE fuel economy standards (yet another reason raising CAFE standards won't work).

The crossfire was just an old SLK230 Kompressor and looked horrible so good riddance.

The Pacifica was an American R-Class without the badge Kudos. and thus without any real point for existence.

The Crossfire was purely a styling exercise - and based upon a car 10 years it's senior. it was not at the top of it's market when it was released - and thus did not really stand a chance when rivals updated.

The PT Convertible? Seriously. you can fit an arm in the panel gaps.

and the Magnum Wagon? that's an interesting one actually.....I've seen more of those than i thought would have been wise to cut the market - perhaps the intention is to direct people to the Chrysler 300c wagon?
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

America doesnt get the 300C wagon though. Thats just something Chrysler Australia did - its the Magnum with the 300C nose.
    I am the Stig

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post

and the Magnum Wagon? that's an interesting one actually.....I've seen more of those than i thought would have been wise to cut the market - perhaps the intention is to direct people to the Chrysler 300c wagon?
    I read it was because the Magnum might compete with the new Dodge Journey (I also read somewhere there's a Chrysler version of the Journey planned, so that might replace the Pacifica).

The PT Cruiser Convertible was really something of a niche-market car, and not a very popular one at that. I suppose that Chrysler can't afford to pursue minimally profitable niches anymore.

I am kind of sad to see the Crossfire go; it was a neat looking car but it was never a very competitive one. On the upside, unique looks + small sales = future classic.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

I'd hardly call the Crossfire a classic......more of an oddity. Future Nash Metropolitan?

The Journey is a remarkably boring looking vehicle......what a shame they replaced something with a little bit of character with something that looks completely devoid.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

crossfire was rubbish. although it was hilarious taking them offroad on the chrysler jeep offroad trips they organised for customers. nothing like seeing some blonde secretary hammer it down some rutted mud track. hell, i would too, if only to make it break so i could go home and not touch a chrysler again
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

ive never seen a magnum and was waiting for it to arrive in the middle east but it never did. people dont go for estates there. Good riddance to the crossfire and PT cruiser cabrio. with mercedes by their side chrysler could have made much better cars but for some strange reason they do the exact opposite.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Thread Information