Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Norway to ban petroluem powered cars?

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Pleasing the people by lying, cheating and doing illegal things. Basically like any other government
    Don't confuse yourself with a government.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

This could be the front runner for a global change. If Norway goes through with this, and say that it actually is very successful, how long until the oil dependent nations catch on and do the same? Eventually we all will have to change, Norway is just getting the jump on the rest of us.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

With the increasing production of alcohol based fuels, i dont think this is a big issue. Alot of things like this come down to the government supporting the infrastructure.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    With the increasing production of alcohol based fuels, i dont think this is a big issue. Alot of things like this come down to the government supporting the infrastructure.
    Alcohol based fuels have other, very dire environmental consequences. Switching fuels is not the answer, its reduction in usage that will yield far better results.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    That was a pretty stupid thing you just said.

Banning petroleum powered cars makes alot of sense in some respects. Banning telephones, televisions and closing hospitals makes no sense in any respects. (apart from televisions encouraging childhood obesity but we won't go into that)

Airplane flights aren't great but there aren't many other ways to get from one country to another. Plus they are public transport and take alot of people at a time. Petrol powered cars on the other hand have many other alternatives that are either developed or being developed.

Think a little bit next time you post eh?
    When I read things like this I get really ticked off because this is another case of people trying to use mythology to solve our climate woes instead of facts. That's why I said its like praying to Odin to cure the sick instead of going to a hospital.

As far as airplanes go, they use a tremendous amount of fossil fuel. One of the British car mags (I can't remember if it was evo, CAR or Top Gear) published a study that found on your typical flight from London to Edinburgh, if every individual who was flying alone and every family travel together, drove in their own personal cars, big sedans for the people in first class and compacts for the people in coach, they would create less pollution than the flight they were on.

The fact is that we are in an environmental crisis and until the nations of the world stop burning fossil fuels for energy, it will get worse, and banning automobiles that use fossil fuels isn't really going to change that either way.

Well this is the thing, are they trying to get to where theyre at zero emissions, or simply to move on from a reliance on fossil fuels. There isnt anything receiving enough development to get the world on zero emissions within the next 20 years at least. Until then there'll be things synthesised alcohol based fuels, fuel cell/electric engines and hydrogen IC engines.
    I am the Stig

change will eventually come but the government shouldn't be able to ban the selling of a freaking car. that is rediculous i have no idea how anyone could live in a place like that. it shouldn't be some politician trying to "save the world" banning cars.

the market will eventually go that way, its not the government's job. The market has spoken quite loudly about hybrid cars, and now everyone has a hybrid in one form or another. The market is also starting to trend toward alternative fuels like e-85 and more and more automakers are making cars that run off it. Thats how you get real, usefull, realistic change...its called capitalism and it has been shaping the world for the last couple hundred years and it will continue to.
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Anyone know the leading cause of green house gasses? PEOPLE.
    The true answer to global warming is contraception. Seriously. It sounds odd but it's true.Cars are only the 6th highest contributor to green house gasses. Wear a condom, save the planet.
    Peace.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzh34d View Post
    The true answer to global warming is contraception. Seriously. It sounds odd but it's true.Cars are only the 6th highest contributor to green house gasses. Wear a condom, save the planet.
    Peace.
    I don't believe any country will actually ban petroleum powered cars. It's all talk.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

Unless the Norwegians plan to walk everywhere, this plan is all talk.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

This would be too harsh and demagogic considering that the automobile accounts for less than a quarter of the emissions and brings many other advantages in terms of personal freedom and economy too.

The car seems to be the favorite scape goat these days, I agree with encouraging more fuel efficient cars through taxes but this is going too far too soon...
    Live for Speed - Online Racing Simulator
    http://www.liveforspeed.net

Quote Originally Posted by roosterjuicer View Post
    Thats how you get real, usefull, realistic change...its called capitalism and it has been shaping the world for the last couple hundred years and it will continue to.
    and sadly been held back by capitalism too.

Believeing "freedom" of money is freedom of "capital" is the biggest distortion of monetary systems by those who only desire strenght and power through wealth for themselves

"some" free states have been running vehicles that pollute less than the trendy onse of today for decades !!

If someone says that you are free to roam in any room in a house you begin to believe you are free ... until you look out a window !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    "some" free states have been running vehicles that pollute less than the trendy onse of today for decades !!
    Matra, that is a very good point. People love to buy trendy modern vehicles such as big SUVs (Porsche Cayenne, BMW X5) which produce a lot of pollution while some people in other countries run cars which pollute much less than the big SUVs etc. we see every day.
    Last edited by john14; 11-06-2007 at 09:02 AM.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

I dont think that this ban is likely to be implemented. cars are not just a good, theyre part of an economy. if the ban petroleum cars then this will definitely create unemployment in their automobile industry and create a lot of other problems.
    this is just my opinion.
    If you want to do something wrong, do it right

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach View Post
    Banning petroleum powered cars makes alot of sense in some respects. Banning telephones, televisions and closing hospitals makes no sense in any respects. (apart from televisions encouraging childhood obesity but we won't go into that)
    Yeah, that and the fact that they're mostly powered by incredibly dirty coal burning power plants... Pay attention.

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    Ok lets ban gasoline cars and then still sell oil (what are their real priorities here?)
    Political haymaking, where a good politician's priorities always are…

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    This could be the front runner for a global change. If Norway goes through with this, and say that it actually is very successful, how long until the oil dependent nations catch on and do the same? Eventually we all will have to change, Norway is just getting the jump on the rest of us.
    This isn’t the frontrunner for global change because it isn’t going to make even the slightest dent. The world isn’t going to see a real drop in CO2 emissions without overhauling the power generating industries of the US, Russia, and China.

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Depending on how you grow the plant matter to make alcohol based fuels, you can end up emitting more carbon into the atmosphere than with gasoline because farmers use Fossil-Fuel fertilizers to grow the grain used. But it’s Ok, because a few Solar, Geothermal, and Wind based power facilities will do a lot more…

[QUOTE=roosterjuicer;759893]change will eventually come but the government shouldn't be able to ban the selling of a freaking car. that is rediculous i have no idea how anyone could live in a place like that. it shouldn't be some politician trying to "save the world" banning cars.QUOTE]

The US already bans the import of thousands of vehicles on emissions grounds every year…

Quote Originally Posted by Ozzh34d View Post
    Peace.
    That’s a ridiculous perversion of statistics. Humans are natural emitters of CO2 it’s true, but we’ve more than compensated for the emissions of an increased population by killing off those pesky herds of Bison. A decreased population WOULD decrease the CO2 emissions levels by decreasing demand for many of the products and services that are the main source of pollution.

Thread Information