Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Norway to ban petroluem powered cars?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo View Post
    let me grab some carbon nanotubes out of the shed, meet me outisde mars.

EDIT can you imagine how incredibly awsome a dyson phere would be?
    okay, i'll get to clearing that pesky asteroid belt. use jupiter as a fuel source? or trigger it to ignite into a secondary sun?

i actually prefer the ringworld/dyson ring concept for some reason, despite the slight inherent instability probably from reading larry niven books as a kid although most people would be like, 'OMGZ TEH HALOZ IS REAL'
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    okay, i'll get to clearing that pesky asteroid belt. use jupiter as a fuel source? or trigger it to ignite into a secondary sun?

i actually prefer the ringworld/dyson ring concept for some reason, despite the slight inherent instability probably from reading larry niven books as a kid although most people would be like, 'OMGZ TEH HALOZ IS REAL'
    i find the idea of making jupiter a secondary sun such BS. It would have such large implications in what has respect to gravitational fields that the solar system would go mental. planetary orbits would re arrange, this alone would completely change earth's climate and make it geothermally highly unstable. also, the asteroid belt would go bananas, can you imagin millions of rocks the size of New York entering earth orbit?
    it would be a very rough day for the solar system... it works in the space odyssey series though...
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo View Post
    i find the idea of making jupiter a secondary sun such BS. It would have such large implications in what has respect to gravitational fields that the solar system would go mental. planetary orbits would re arrange, this alone would completely change earth's climate and make it geothermally highly unstable. also, the asteroid belt would go bananas, can you imagin millions of rocks the size of New York entering earth orbit?
    it would be a very rough day for the solar system... it works in the space odyssey series though...
    given my consideration to actions and consequences, i'd do it 'because it'll look awesome' having a second sun, however unstable and shortlived it will be besides, we'd have to clear the solar system of debris and planetary bodies to make a dyson sphere anyway, so why not actually the amount of materials required would mean forays to other solar systems no doubt
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

If we can find a clean way to produce Hydrogen that releases no CO2 during the production process than the technology for hydrogen cars is ready to go as far as I can see. BMW, mazda, ford, gm, and crapload of other companies have prototype cars that could easily be produced (doesn't necessarily require a fuel cell as BMW has proved with its H2 powered V8 and V12 engines).

Quote Originally Posted by MRR View Post
    If we can find a clean way to produce Hydrogen that releases no CO2 during the production process than the technology for hydrogen cars is ready to go as far as I can see. BMW, mazda, ford, gm, and crapload of other companies have prototype cars that could easily be produced (doesn't necessarily require a fuel cell as BMW has proved with its H2 powered V8 and V12 engines).
    There is another major problem with hydrogen; it's difficult to carry along because of the massive volume of one litre. So a hydrogen car either has a short range or no boot space.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    There is another major problem with hydrogen; it's difficult to carry along because of the massive volume of one litre. So a hydrogen car either has a short range or no boot space.
    And additionally this fuel is reputedly prone to boiling away in hot weather, further handicapping range ..

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Use liquid H2 (I believe BMW has done this as well). Yes some of fuel must boil off so the tank won't blow up especially if liquid fuel is used.

At best maybe someone could come up with a battery pack that could run a car for several hundred miles with an infinite number of recharge cycles and no loss in potency (hasn't been made yet unfortunately).

this is silly-
    as an enthusiast it may sound biased. but less than 20% of emission which are doing any harm are coming from vehicles, and less from passenger cars,
    why not restrict construction equipment, and industry more, as now they (every government agency that is-not Norway) are using the car as a scapegoat...

Hydrogen Rotarys being trialed in Norway.
    From the Mazda Japan website:
    "This will be the first time a Hydrogen RE vehicle will be sold outside Japan and will be a big step in Mazda’s Hydrogen vehicle development history”, said Mr. Seita Kanai, Mazda’s director and senior managing executive officer. “Perhaps Norway is one of the countries closest to the realization of a Hydrogen energy society. By cooperating with HyNor and jointly supporting the development of a hydrogen economy, we hope that Mazda will be able to contribute to the establishment of a Hydrogen society.”

oh yes, 38 RX-8s on the Norwegian roads. Bet you're all wishing you had a chance to drive 'em huh
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Fiorano View Post
    why not restrict construction equipment, and industry more, as now they (every government agency that is-not Norway) are using the car as a scapegoat...
    Because the government in almost any government has benefits at not making too much laws in this area..

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    Because the government in almost any government has benefits at not making too much laws in this area..
    Germany might think otherwise (aren't 1 in 6 jobs in Germany somehow related to their automotive industry).

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    We're the only species who has the ability to consider our impact on the world around it. And for thousands of years, we've ignored the impact we've had. And we've exploited the Earth for everything she has to give.
    And now we're considering changing that approach, which is unprecidented, yes...

We're the only species who has the self-awareness and the technology to combat the things that would kill off species lower on the food chain. We live in cities where the only predators we have to worry about are each other. On a societal and technological basis, you can't even begin to compare us to other animals...
    ...was where I was going with that, yeah. Animals get too good a rap from humans. They're violent, and selfish, and they go around killing each other -not to mention the entire plant kingdom- everyday. They're also stupid, they have no concept of the consequences of their actions. I'm just saying we should honestly pat ourselves on the back for getting this far...
    Last edited by bruxell; 11-07-2007 at 06:59 PM.

I love cars. CAR was actually my first word a long 3 decades ago. But, I would choose to live in a clean, healthy world over driving any car. Easy choice.
    And one I'm not sure you have to make. In fact, one that wouldn't make a difference if you made it without some much more distructive, and more selfish people making a lot harder choice. The choice to fore go a small margin of heir tremendous profits in order to cut their pollution and make a BIG difference. Unfortunately, I have no confidence that they will do so...

Quote Originally Posted by nota View Post
    And additionally this fuel is reputedly prone to boiling away in hot weather, further handicapping range ..
    Being the lightest of all elements, it will simply just evaporate through the metal of a storage tank. I saw a fact recently from Kawasaki Industries (apparently the biggest company when it comes to carting Hydrogen about) and I think the figure they quoted was that they lose around 20% of all their hydrogen because it just evaporates through their tanks.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Thanks for the info 2CC

Thread Information