Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 350 big block? True or False?

yikes. I just realized this thread is 2 years old. LOL

355 BIG! Block

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    My manager and I got into an argument about the block size of GM 350's.
    THIS may provide an answer: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR1KYKP1wQM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR1KYKP1wQM[/ame]

Hot as the moustache of a cross-eyed fire eater and winds tighter than a G-string on an overweight stripper.
    The owner/driver states: " Basically it is highly modified Buick Century 1954 with a Chevrolet 355 engine that provides aprox 480 real HP, a Mc phearson/Hammerlund suspention (back/front), 2 80 liters fuel cells, disk brakes (Wilwood 6 pistons), a Richmond closewide 5 gear box, top speed 165 miles/hr, and overall prepared by Uvi Vega. The car is fun and fast, but can not do anything vs the top Studebakers; it is too heavy and not very aerodynamic at top speeds (above 140 it matters!). The 53-55 Studebakers can do 180! So, as pretty much everybody else in La Carrera, we just run for the fun of it and hope for the best result. Regards!"

There are some impressive cars down at the Carrera. I was down there with a 65 Ford Falcon and a 58 Volvo 444.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Yes, there is a 350bb

Quote Originally Posted by KingNothing View Post
    My manager and I got into an argument about the block size of GM 350's.(yea, we're that bored) So my question to ya'll is: Is a 350 a big block or a small block? He keeps insisting that he had a 350 BB in his car at one time but I think its bs. I've read that back in the 60's they had a 348 big block but thats the only one ive every heard of. But generally they are small blocks correct? I've at least got him to admit there is a SB 350 which he was denying at first. Anyways any help is appreciated.

The first ever production big Block V8 Chevrolet engine was the "Single U" series, released in 1958 for passenger car and truck use. This engine was an Overhead valve design, with offset valves and unique scalloped rocker covers, giving it a distinctive appearance. The "W" series was produced from 1958 to 1965, with three displacements offered: 348 cubic inches (5.7 L), available from 1958 to 1961 in cars and through 1964 in trucks; 409 cubic inches (6.702 L), available from 1961 to 1965; and 427 cubic inches (6.9973 L), available in 1962 and 1963.

As was the norm at the time, the "W" engine was of cast iron construction. The block had 4.84-inch (123 mm) bore centers, two-bolt main bearing caps, a "side oiling" lubrication system (main oil gallery located low on the driver's side of the crankcase) with full flow oil filter, and interchangeable cylinder heads. Heads used on the high performance 409 and 427 engines had larger ports and valves than those used on the 348 and the base 409 passenger car and truck engines, but externally were identical to the standard units. One minor difference between the 348 and 409/427 was the location of the engine oil dipstick: it was on the driver's side on the former and passenger's side on the latter. No satisfactory explanation was ever offered for why this change was made. However, it did provide a fairly reliable way to differentiate between the smaller and larger versions of the engine.

As with the 265 and 283 cubic inch small block engines, the "W" engine valve gear consisted of tubular steel push rods operating stud-mounted, stamped steel rocker arms. The push rods also acted as a conduit for oil flow to the valve gear. Due to the relatively low mass of the valve train, mechanical lifter versions of the "W" engine were capable of operating at speeds well beyond 6000 RPM.

Unlike many of its contemporaries, the "W" combustion chamber was in the upper part of the cylinder, not the head, the latter having only tiny recesses for the valves. This arrangement was achieved by combining the use of a cylinder head deck that was not perpendicular to the bore with a crowned piston, a novel concept in American production engines of the day. As the piston approached top dead center, the angle of the crown combined with that of the head deck to form a wedge shaped combustion chamber with a pronounced quench area. The spark plug protruded vertically into this chamber, which tended to cause a rapidly moving flame front during combustion.

The theory behind this sort of arrangement is that maximum brake mean effective pressure is developed at relatively low engine speeds, resulting in an engine with a broad torque curve. With its relatively flat torque characteristics, the "W" engine was well-suited to propelling both trucks and the heavier cars that were in vogue in the USA at the time of the engine's development.

The "W" had a dry weight of approximately 665 pounds (302 kg), depending on intake manifold and carburetion, and was a physically massive engine compared to its small block predecessor.

So to answer your question: Yes, there is a 350 bb.

a answer to your question

i have a 350 big block in my elcaminos both 73 and 74

Thread Information