Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Competition Discussion Thread

Photo Competition Discussion Thread

Hey all.

As it seems, the photography competitions spark a lot of discussion and occasionally debate. Due to this, in order to keep the entry and voting threads cleaner, this thread is here for any comments and concerns any of you may have. Consider it a continuation of the competition future thread, but a fresh start.

This thread is a place for everyone to discuss any competition issues, positives, or potential future changes you'd like to see.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

I don't agree with edited photos mixed with non edited ones. Period.
    orangeferrari.blog.com

Well that's any particular entrant's choice. I'm not going to force everyone to edit their pictures to enter. It's an open competition.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

To bad their cant be multiple winners, so many good photos here guys. I hope the rest of the year can compare with these.

Is anyone interested in what UCP's best photo is of 2007? We could put all the winners from the weeks into a series of polls and bracket it down. Thoughts?
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

I could throw that together. Not right now though, I'm tired, but look for it soon.

Seeing as there should be around 50 competitions, give or take, it'd work out to about 4 voting threads. Once those have been voted for, I'll narrow it down to a 4 way ultimate best voting thread. This seems like the most straightforward way, but if anyone has any other structuring ideas, throw 'em down.
    Last edited by zeppelin; 01-06-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    I could throw that together. Not right now though, I'm tired, but look for it soon.

Seeing as there should be around 50 competitions, give or take, it'd work out to about 4 voting threads. Once those have been voted for, I'll narrow it down to a 4 way ultimate best voting thread. This seems like the most straightforward way, but if anyone has any other structuring ideas, throw 'em down.
    i think that sounds brilliant... maybe separate it out by quarter. i woudl really like to see that though.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    i think that sounds brilliant... maybe separate it out by quarter. i woudl really like to see that though.
    Yeah by quarter is what I was thinking too, seems to make the most sense.

Shouldn't also what you take the picture with count??..

Most of us wouldn't have SLR's or $500+ Camera's.. Silly me loaded one up from my mobile phone because i walked all the way to snap the picture in 45deg heat and forgot the camera.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I know it can seem a little unbalanced that way, but it would require even more subdivisions of the competition depending on camera class. For the most part, modern digitals can take pictures that will look fine at 800x600, no matter the price.

I still believe it's really up to the photographer to find that angle and capture. I've won more competitions here back with my crappy Kodak Easyshare than I have since I got my Rebel XT.

I think we should all start writing a short description of our photo's in the competitions below the info. Like how we took it or what was special about it. Why we like it etc

Would be a nice way to give more depth into the photo's origin. I like it when people post a sentence or two about their photo on FlickR. Just an idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Cotterik View Post
    I think we should all start writing a short description of our photo's in the competitions below the info. Like how we took it or what was special about it. Why we like it etc

Would be a nice way to give more depth into the photo's origin. I like it when people post a sentence or two about their photo on FlickR. Just an idea!
    That sounds like quite a good idea actually. Might convince me to start entering again.

I like the sounds of this, actually. I won't enforce it as a rule, but I myself will do so and encourage others to do so as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sauc3 View Post
    That sounds like quite a good idea actually. Might convince me to start entering again.
    Same here... I have a lot of pictures that IMO look nice, but they need the story behind it.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo View Post
    Same here... I have a lot of pictures that IMO look nice, but they need the story behind it.
    are there people old enough around here to remember Rod Stewart's first solo album? "Every picture tells a story"....
    So yes I agree with the principle, but the picture itself should also convey a message..
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    are there people old enough around here to remember Rod Stewart's first solo album? "Every picture tells a story"....
    So yes I agree with the principle, but the picture itself should also convey a message..
    I agree. But to give an example: I wanted to post a picture of the Holocaust monument in Berlin. But many people probably don't recognise it. So the whole story with the picture idea could clear these things up. But you are right: a good picture tells a story. That's probably why I only have won one time
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Thread Information