Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Competition Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    You mean the truck right?

Has the Audi R10 been the only diesel contender?

Also, in the early days of the race have there been other forms of fuel as well?

Do rules allow other forms of fuel, e.g. electricity, etc?
    No the cars it's towing I think are a Lola T70 of some kinda and a Ferrari 712.

Someone ran a diesel way back... I'll Wiki it.

Here it is:

Alternative fuel sources would also play a part in more normal engine designs, with the first non-gasoline car appearing in 1949. The Delettrez Special would be powered by a diesel motor, while a second diesel would appear in the form of the M.A.P. the following year. Although diesel would appear at other times over the race existence, it would not be until 2006 when a major manufacturer, Audi, would invest in diesels and finally succeed, with the R10.

The Peugeot 908 is also a diesel.

I think someone maybe ran a hybrid of some kind in the late 90s as well.

Toyota has expressed interest in making a hybrid KERS LMP under the new regulations in 2010 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    It was 28 two or three days ago!
    you guys in heaven! we are still in May and its 47

Quote Originally Posted by Dary View Post
    you guys in heaven! we are still in May and its 47
    That's madness. Is it humid on the coast or dry?

When it's hot here, the humidity is frequently dry and that is what bothers a lot of people here. It only gets to about 35 degrees in Toronto and that would be an absolute scorcher, but as I said, the humidity makes it unpleasant.

On the plus side, it doesn't go to -20 in the winter in Kuwait with 25 cm of snow, does it?

That's madness. Is it humid on the coast or dry?

When it's hot here, the humidity is frequently dry and that is what bothers a lot of people here. It only gets to about 35 degrees in Toronto and that would be an absolute scorcher, but as I said, the humidity makes it unpleasant.

On the plus side, it doesn't go to -20 in the winter in Kuwait with 25 cm of snow, does it?
    yesterday and today we got a high humidity, but usually we have a dry windy dusty weather, and this is really bad.
    i like the winter here, we got only -1 but the bad thing its dry too! not that much of rain and humidity.

Here in Scottsdale/Phoenix summer means less events and less nice cars out. Spring and fall are our sweet spots, though there's plenty going on in the winter as well (like all the auctions in January).
    www.Desert-Motors.com - mag.Desert-Motors.com

the humidity is frequently dry
    errrr?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck View Post
    errrr?
    Yeah I think I meant to say the "humidity is frequently high".

So it goes to -1 in winter Dary? I never would have thought,

I assume at night only though yeah?

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    I'm looking for a not too costly wideangle lens to cover the rage under my 18-55mm kit lense (pentax k100d). Any good advices ? The ones I found were all around 500euro which is a bit too much..
    "good" and "around 500 Euro" do not really match...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Witty title henk, is that a T70 and 712?
    it is THE 712 and a Chevron B16, aka known as the Lolita, because of its similarity.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Why does the building look bent?

Is that city hall in the bottom left - it looks like it form that angle, but the shot looks like it was take far north of there, or is my knowledge of downtown that poor?

What building where you in?
    Haha, don't worry I've got the answers.

The building is warped from distortion, shot at 18mm. The rest of the stuff looks ok because it's farther away. The curved building right beside the white(ish) one is City Hall. I am south of it, and the shot was taken from the TD Centre (the black four tower complex on Bay). So I guess your knowledge needs a bit of refreshing
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    Haha, don't worry I've got the answers.

The building is warped from distortion, shot at 18mm. The rest of the stuff looks ok because it's farther away. The curved building right beside the white(ish) one is City Hall. I am south of it, and the shot was taken from the TD Centre (the black four tower complex on Bay). So I guess your knowledge needs a bit of refreshing
    Yeah, to be honest I'm not much of a downtown person and only visited there frequently when I was in university.

Just reread that UCP article about s/n 1010. Quite an interesting story and well written as usual.

I don't quite the peculiarities of classic car prices. The 712 apparently failed to meet the reserve at 1.4 million dollars.

Why isn't this car more expensive and desired than that? It may not have a great racing history, but it is a one of a kind Ferrari with the largest and most powerful(?) enigne Ferrari has ever made. I would figure it would be worth significantly more.

Is the engine just a bored/stroked 512 enigne?

How does it sound henk?

Finally, what is the Ferrari 612 that is mentioned in the article? Is this just a typo?
    The 612 was an earlier Can-Am attempt. The 712 has been further modified for Historic Races, and to such an extent that it can no longer participate in the Ferrari Historic Challenge, requiring a certificate of origin, which this car has not. Although the car does not lack power, aerodynamics and downforce are very poor, and in the current CER races it can do little against a well driven Porsche 936 or a Lola T280.

Yeah I think I meant to say the "humidity is frequently high".

So it goes to -1 in winter Dary? I never would have thought,

I assume at night only though yeah?
    yeah at night, and it goes to -3 in open spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    The 612 was an earlier Can-Am attempt. The 712 has been further modified for Historic Races, and to such an extent that it can no longer participate in the Ferrari Historic Challenge, requiring a certificate of origin, which this car has not. Although the car does not lack power, aerodynamics and downforce are very poor, and in the current CER races it can do little against a well driven Porsche 936 or a Lola T280.
    It seems as though, at least from the tone of the article on UCP, th at the factory didn't put too much development of the car.

As Wouter mentioned, if it was developed further, maybe it would have been a force. Then again, unless it would have used forced induction, it would have been crushed by the 917/30 in 1973 I suppose.

Any insight into the relatively low price of this unique car?

It's not authentic.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information