Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Photo Competition Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    For more pictures, have a look at my website; Reverda.nl
    Did you really have to do that Fred?

I was gonna go have a look and I would hardly call this spam.

Then again, when you have a personal vendetta against a user I suppose you can do silly petty things like this.

EDIT: I can't remember for sure, but similar things have happened with pat where he has possibly directed people to his website and no action was taken, Maybe the circumstances weren't the exact same, but you catch my drift.

Maybe drakkie was spamming then again. What is the exact policy on that?
    Last edited by Kitdy; 06-25-2008 at 04:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverG35SportC View Post
    Silverg35SportC
    Lamborghini Gallardo, Ferrari 360 Spider, Lamorghini Murcielago LP640 Barchetta, Porsche Gt3 RS
    Montreal F1 Weekend
    Nikon S6
    The cars when I went there in 2004 were utterly insane as well.

They were all over the hot restaurants and trendy places downtown.

It was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    clutch-monkey
    waiting at the pits
    sunday
    no editing
    Oh look a pig with a duck tail.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    The cars when I went there in 2004 were utterly insane as well.
    Yeah, this year I saw ridiculous stuff. Got videos of a CGT redlining, my brother saw an MC12 and I saw a DBS...to name a few.

Then again, when you have a personal vendetta against a user I suppose you can do silly petty things like this.

EDIT: I can't remember for sure, but similar things have happened with pat where he has possibly directed people to his website and no action was taken, Maybe the circumstances weren't the exact same, but you catch my drift.

I am also curious about the exact rules on that subject. I could not find them anyway. Personally i'd hardly call it spam, as it refers to a non-profit website with more pictures of this interesting subject. Please feel free to have a look, Kitdy, it's a Dutch domain name but a bi-lingual website.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie View Post
    I am also curious about the exact rules on that subject. I could not find them anyway. Personally i'd hardly call it spam, as it refers to a non-profit website with more pictures of this interesting subject. Please feel free to have a look, Kitdy, it's a Dutch domain name but a bi-lingual website.
    Yeah I poked around a bit and will look around more later - I like the industrial shots I must admit. It is a bit of a laugh to read the Dutch as well as I find the language equally amusing and cool. All the j's and double a's and the sick words are great. The shots are good for the most part and I generally enjoy seeing whatever shot it is submitted in the weekly competition.

Where are all these shots being taken? Major cities on the coast or smaller cities with large ports?

Yeah I poked around a bit and will look around more later - I like the industrial shots I must admit. It is a bit of a laugh to read the Dutch as well as I find the language equally amusing and cool. All the j's and double a's and the sick words are great. The shots are good for the most part and I generally enjoy seeing whatever shot it is submitted in the weekly competition.

Where are all these shots being taken? Major cities on the coast or smaller cities with large ports?
    I'm glad you enjoy it. I receive so many good reactions, it is really getting out of hand a bit, sooooo flattering all ! The first month my website was on I had a few hundred views, but last month a incredible 13.000 !!! On my job I am approached by the guards or sea-men sometimes, they see my last name on my drivers license and ask for it. Or offcourse the sticker I smashed on the dashboards in our cars.

The shots are all taken in the Port of Rotterdam, this is one of the largest ports in the world and I happen to live right in the midst of it. It spans from the city of rotterdam, west 50 kilometers and even sticks out a bit into the sea on a man-made island. See also this:
    Port of Rotterdam - Port Description
    Some maps:
    Port of Rotterdam - Port area
    Google maps:
    rotterdam - Google Maps
    Follow the river all the way to sea ^^

Most of my current pictures are taken on the part most to the west. This has multiple reasons; first of all I keep discovering new semi-legal photography options every time and second of all because it is closest to my residence. It really remains a big challenge for me and when that challenge has gone and I feel I discovered it all, I will move on to the next part of the port. This weekend probably Saturday I will add another photoset to my website.

PS: yes I am fascinated and obsessed to doing this. I love it !

There is a very large amount of massive liquid containers in the port it seems - the plurality of this being oil products I would guess?

It seems as though Rotterdam had the world's busiest port from 1962-2002.

Looking further into Rotterdam, I kinda figured it had more people, and was more of a major city but actually has under 600,000.

Wouter and drakkie are you Feyenoord fans?

I don't call it spam either.
    I just find a photo competition the wrong channel to promote your other photography work, besides the photo you are trying to compete with. That's all.
    Last edited by LotusLocost; 06-26-2008 at 01:57 PM.

And by the way, can everyone please try to keep the OT talk outside the competition threads? That's the one and only reason we have this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    I don't call it spam either.
    I just find a photo competition the wrong channel to promote your other photography work, besides the photo you are trying to compete with. That's all.
    I guess that's fair enough.

Why does the building look bent?

Is that city hall in the bottom left - it looks like it form that angle, but the shot looks like it was take far north of there, or is my knowledge of downtown that poor?

What building where you in?
    It is bent due to barrel distortion (appears to be a wide angle lens.. 24mm or so..) and because the camera lens is not parallel to the face of the building.. it's tilted down. Same reason the lower buildings are tilting in. If the camera were tilting up, the buildings would be flairing out.

JT
    www.johnthawley.com / www.automotivephoto.net

Hey everyone!

I've been thinking that perhaps we could discuss what vehicles should be considered "automotive". Until now, it seems to be strictly cars, but perhaps any motorized wheel transport should be considered? This would include cars, motorcycles, transport trucks or any other trucks. I'm wondering what everyone thinks on this matter, as I think a consensus would be more fair than me deciding outright.

The only things I'd like to keep general though are transportation such as trains, boats, and airplanes/helicopters. They stretch "automotive" a little much.

Discuss.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    Hey everyone!

I've been thinking that perhaps we could discuss what vehicles should be considered "automotive". Until now, it seems to be strictly cars, but perhaps any motorized wheel transport should be considered? This would include cars, motorcycles, transport trucks or any other trucks. I'm wondering what everyone thinks on this matter, as I think a consensus would be more fair than me deciding outright.

The only things I'd like to keep general though are transportation such as trains, boats, and airplanes/helicopters. They stretch "automotive" a little much.

Discuss.
    we've gone through this several times... there were some brilliant motorcycle shots entered and won like 3 weeks on a row. some of the older members threw a fit, and bikes were sent to the general comps.

i am of the opinion that if it has wheels, a motor, and it travels on land, it should be automotive. and i also agree that other motor driven items that are non-terrestrial should be in general.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by cmcpokey View Post
    we've gone through this several times... there were some brilliant motorcycle shots entered and won like 3 weeks on a row. some of the older members threw a fit, and bikes were sent to the general comps.

i am of the opinion that if it has wheels, a motor, and it travels on land, it should be automotive. and i also agree that other motor driven items that are non-terrestrial should be in general.
    Yeah I wasn't sure if we ever reached an official consensus, and with aiasib's boat shot I figured I'd revisit the topic.

I suppose bikes shall stay in the general then.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Thread Information