Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Maserati Racing Cars History

Can't find any survivor of the 4CS 1500. Anyone knows something?
    Regards
    Jörg

This is a recent pic from some of the Maserati fanclub sites. Unfortunately, I don't remember the site. And I don't know whether it is an authentic car or a copy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Alex,
    this Car is #1126 a Tipo 4CS 1100, it is known for many years, seems to be original.
    Regards
    Jörg

Quote Originally Posted by Odin View Post
    Hi Alex,
    this Car is #1126 a Tipo 4CS 1100, it is known for many years, seems to be original.
    Regards
    Jörg
    Thanks, Jorg!
    Cause it was identified as 4CS 1500, and I was stuck a bit because of its exterior

What a wealth of knowledge here about pre-war Maserati race cars! I am more familiar with post-war Maserati GT cars, so I need your help in identifying an unknown car which I photographed in September 1974 at the Kruse Brother's Auction in Auburn, Indiana.

Unfortunately, I have long since lost the program from the auction, and have no other information about the car. I recently contacted Kruse directly, but their records were put into archive long ago (well, it is 34 years ago!). I always thought it was a special bodied Alfa Romeo, since that is what I wrote on the back of the snapshot. But that was years ago and could be a lapse of memory. The photo is too indistinct to make out the badge on the nose, but could be either an Alfa or a Maserati Trident logo.

Based on the information here, and my quick research elsewhere, I now wonder if it is a 4CS of some sort. The similarity of this unknown car to 4CS #1124 (the Cunningham / Rosso Bianco car) is very striking, but there are also a number of detail differences. There is certainly nothing like it in Orsini & Zagari. Could this be 4CS #1123 before it was re-bodied by Maserati SpA in 1977, and then later by Sean Danaher? Or is it a re-bodied 4CM? Or something else?

The only thing better than a good mystery, is seeing it solved!

Cheers!
    Doug alias Peconga
    Boise, Idaho USA
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by peconga; 03-19-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: correction

Welcome Peconga,

I would not be surprised if your car would indeed be 4CS#1123

Detail - Tipo 4 CS 1100 s/n 1123

Apparently it was in the USA in the seventies, and was fitted with a new body in 1977, and the way the old body is described, makes it look like it is "your" car.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Aymo Maggi

Dear Faksta, I was impressed by your competence on Mille Miglia. As I am nephiew of Aymo Maggi (my mother, Eleonora Maggi, is daughter of his brother) I would be really interested in a photograph of my uncle driving the Maserati 26B at the Mille Miglia '28, have you any idea of where it is possible to find it?
    Many thanks in advance for your kind reply and ciao from Brescia,
    Luca Salvi

Quote Originally Posted by faksta View Post
    1928-1929 Maserati Tipo 26B MM. Alongside with Tipo 26MM four Migle Miglia cars were developed from 26B modification using the same 2 liter engine. The four Tipo 26B MM, as they were named, suffered the same changes as two 26MM cars. Maximum speed felt down to 200kmh, and weight raised to 840kg. Somehow only one of the four cars entered 1928 Mille Miglia. Driven by Ettore Maserati and Aymo Maggi it didn't finish. Next year saw the similar situation - the only started Maserati (Ettore Maserati - Baconin Borzacchini) didn't see the finish (moreover, some sources say that the modified #37 car was not a 26B MM, but a 26R 30, though 26R was a Grand Prix car, like 26 and 26B, and thus couldn't meet Mille Miglia regulations ).

1-2. Maserati Tipo 26B MM at 1929 Mille Miglia driven by Ettore Maserati and Baconin Borzacchini.

Welcome, AymoMaggi!
    I will try to find the picture, but unfortunately can't promise anything.
    It is also about time to decrease a number of my unfinished threads here...

Welcome, AymoMaggi!
    I will try to find the picture, but unfortunately can't promise anything.
    It is also about time to decrease a number of my unfinished threads here...
    Pleas don't decrease, but complete them
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

That's what I meant, of course

Luca, this is what I have found in the web:

http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/images/miglia28b.jpg
    http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/images/miglia28c.jpg
    http://www.ddavid.com/formula1/images/miglia28d.jpg

Car #39 is what you need. All the pictures belong to Dennis David's website (as linked to). It is also good that you have pointed out my previous message, as I have found a mistake there. Of course, Aymo Maggi drove a 26B MM in 1928 Mille Miglia together with Ernesto Maserati, not Ettore. 1929 entry should also be changed: Ernesto Maserati - Baconin Borzacchini. Ettore didn't drive the cars in races, as far as I'm aware.

Great stuff Faksta!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Jaray View Post
    Great stuff Faksta!
    Thanks and welcome! Great to see you here

Response to fasta 12 09 2007 7:26

This is a recent pic from some of the Maserati fanclub sites. Unfortunately, I don't remember the site. And I don't know whether it is an authentic car or a copy.
    The car is 4CS chassis no 1126. It was the actual winner of the 1100cc class in the 1935 and 1936 Mille Miglia races, was entered in the 1937 race, but retired with a broken engine. The new body was fitted by Lurani for an entry in the 1938 Portuguese Grand Prix, but Lurani crashed his 4CM at Crystal Palace two weeks before and broke his hip, so the car was not raced by Scuderia Ambrosiana again, but was sold to a Chinese businessman in Singapore in 1939. The Japanese army confiscated the car, but it was rescued from them and buried for the rest of the war. I bought its mortal remains in 1969 and rebuilt it to its 1938 specification. It is now owned by my son.Maseratinut

Maseratinut,

Thanks for your input. We have actually shot this car and will add it to the 4CS 1100 feature on the main page (Ultimatecarpage.com - Powered by knowledge, driven by passion).
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information