Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leaked info to spell end of Renault in F1?

Leaked info to spell end of Renault in F1?

Renault's Formula 1 team has been dealt a hammer blow in the latest revelation in the sport's ongoing spy row, with leaked legal documents painting a bleak picture for the French squad ahead of its pivotal World Motor Sport Council hearing early next month - the outcome of which is likely to determine its future in the top flight.

Renault was first named as being implicated in the espionage saga a fortnight ago. It will consequently appear before the FIA in Monaco on 6 December to answer a charge of being in unauthorised possession of documents and confidential information belonging to McLaren. It is a similar offence to that of which McLaren was found guilty during the summer, when the Woking concern was proved to have illegally received 780 pages of secret Ferrari data – and for which the team received a $100 million fine, disqualification from the 2007 constructors' world championship and a high degree of scrutiny over its 2008 model.

According to British daily newspaper The Times, the latest assertions – allegedly leaked to PA Sport from McLaren's submission to the world council in a bid to ramp up the pressure on Renault – imply the Enstone-based outfit benefited significantly from the aforementioned data, which includes, the FIA has confirmed, the layout and critical dimensions of McLaren's F1 car, fuelling system, gear assembly, oil cooling system, hydraulic control system and a novel suspension component used by the 2006 and 2007 machines.

“It is clear that McLaren's confidential design information was knowingly, deliberately and widely disseminated and discussed within the Renault F1 design and engineering team,” read a statement from McLaren's solicitors, Baker McKenzie, “thereby providing them with a clear benefit and unfair advantage.”

What's more, Baker McKenzie have accused
    Renault
    of adopting a ‘cavalier attitude' during the continuing investigation, and criticised a number of the Régie's written replies as being ‘incomplete', ‘misleading' or ‘incorrect'.

The legal dossier contains a collection of damning evidence, including 18 witness statements in which Renault
    F1
    employees – some of them senior engineering chiefs and heads of department dubbed by
    McLaren
    the ‘Renault Seven', and among them chief designer Tim Densham and the heads of research and development, mechanical design, transmission design and vehicle performance – admit to having viewed confidential technical information belonging to McLaren on eleven of Renault's computers.

It is also stated that in March, 2006, 33 files of confidential technical information belonging to McLaren – containing no fewer than 780 individual drawings outlining the complete technical blueprint of the 2006 and 2007 McLaren F1 cars – were copied onto eleven floppy disks, which were subsequently loaded on to Renault's F1 computer system the following September.

Renault has always insisted it has complied entirely with both the
    FIA
    and McLaren over the matter, and even went so far as to invite McLaren's independent experts to assess its computer systems and inspect the cars and design records, in an effort to prove there had been no influence on the design of Renault's F1 machines.

The team claims the matter first came to light when it was discovered that Phil Mackereth, an engineer who joined Renault from McLaren in September 2006, had taken with him information belonging to the latter contained on floppy disks. Following a formal internal investigation, Mackereth was suspended by Renault and the disks returned to McLaren.

Mackereth's argument that he had retained the information for ‘sentimental reasons' was dismissed by McLaren's lawyers as ‘absurd', and his statements branded ‘inconsistent'.

Renault
    has also sought to downplay the significance of the drawings, claiming they covered only four ‘basic systems', at least one of which was obsolete. Moreover, the team added none of the information concerned was transferred onto its cars, and that it was wiped from the team's computers as soon as it was uncovered.

Renault has refused to comment further until after the FIA hearing. Should it be found guilty, however, the punishment could mirror that of McLaren's, which would prove extremely costly to its 2008 chances and – some believe – may drive the team to withdraw from F1 altogether.
    I surely hope the FIA wouldn't do something to risk Renault's future in F1. Because F1 really needs manufacturer involvement.

It´s only fair to give them the same penalty, as they gave McLaren. But it's a shame.. I really hate Jean Todt and Montezemelo! Those crybabies were the one to penalise! All those races where Ferrari have used teamorders, there haven't been any penalties at all, but when Fernando did so, at McLaren, the TEAM where punished and not the driver! The outcome of the 2007 season was decided before Melbourne by FIA!!! Ferrari International Assistance!!! How on earth can it be McLarens fault, that a person from Ferraris technical staff, sends some documents to a McLaren employee?? The two persons should punished, but I can't see why McLaren (nor Renault) should be given a bill and be thrown out of the championship. There wasn't any evidence at all, that McLaren should have used it, or gained any advantage. Hate you Luca and Jean!!!
    Mercedes-Benz fanatic

This is getting ridiculous.

Its amusing that the technology used to transfer the information was "floppy disks".
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Quote Originally Posted by Sledgehammer View Post
    Its amusing that the technology used to transfer the information was "floppy disks".
    I thought that was rather odd.

I don't think a few floppy disks could hold all the data necessary for the technology

What's wrong with transferring ultra secret data 1.44MB at a time? These guys like to take their time I guess

Anyway, I hope Renault won't withdraw from F1, they're a pretty good team and IMO a necessary part of F1.

DQ from WCC and WDC of 2007 and fine 100 million? I mean there is a presedence now....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Hey. They did the 3D representation of the Supra on a floppy disk in the Fast and the Furious, and since that movie is da TruTH,

therefore, it is possible to do it on a floppy disk.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

so the Ferrari became the McLaren and now the McLaren became the Renault...what a sneaky way of spreading Italian technology....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by s-d View Post
    It´s only fair to give them the same penalty, as they gave McLaren. But it's a shame.. I really hate Jean Todt and Montezemelo! Those crybabies were the one to penalise! All those races where Ferrari have used teamorders, there haven't been any penalties at all, but when Fernando did so, at McLaren, the TEAM where punished and not the driver! The outcome of the 2007 season was decided before Melbourne by FIA!!! Ferrari International Assistance!!! How on earth can it be McLarens fault, that a person from Ferraris technical staff, sends some documents to a McLaren employee?? The two persons should punished, but I can't see why McLaren (nor Renault) should be given a bill and be thrown out of the championship. There wasn't any evidence at all, that McLaren should have used it, or gained any advantage. Hate you Luca and Jean!!!
    Renault should be punished!.....IF there is evidence that they did anything wrong!...... but that post is just sad too see from a fellow contry-man.... i have all the Respekt for Jean Todt!... in my eyes, he is the best team manager ever! (closely followed by Dr. Ullrich)... but Montezemelo, i just believe is a Jackass......he should stick whit the produktion cars of Ferrari and let Todt do the Racing!........ but Mclaren did something wrong!, and got punished, fair and square!... i just want all this Spy-Crap to end, so we can get a good clean fight next year!

TLDNR.

a

"TLDNR."........Huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Brix View Post
    "TLDNR."........Huh?
    Too Long, Did Not Read.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan View Post
    I surely hope the FIA wouldn't do something to risk Renault's future in F1. Because F1 really needs manufacturer involvement.
    Renault bought the Benetton F1 team.

Benetton Formula - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mecachrome builds Renault's F1 engines.

Mecachrome
    Should Comcast, which is buying NBC, have more motorsports coverage on VERSUS and now NBC? Does North America need a racing tv channel? Find the answer to that exact question on facebook.

Thread Information