Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Andy Rooneys outlook

Andy Rooneys outlook

this is a quote by Andy Rooney, it thought id bring it on here to stir up some controversy with you politic minded people. this is an americans view on america, i agree with the majority of this quote. feel free to post you opinions but lets keep it friendly

"I like big cars, big boats, big motorcycles, big houses and big campfires.

I believe the money I make belongs to me and my family, not some governmental stooge with a bad comb-over who wants to give it away to crack addicts for squirting out babies.

Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.

I believe they are called the Boy Scouts for a reason, that is why there are no girls allowed. Girls belong in the Girl Scouts! ARE YOU LISTENING MARTHA BURKE? &nb sp; I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is an opinion.

I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers.. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America. Try to have things like the United aucasian College Fund, Cloud Magazine, White Entertainment Television, or Miss White America; and see what happens. Jesse Jackson will be knocking down your door. I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off. When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling, it is the Law of Probability.

I know what sex is, and there are not varying degrees of it. If I received sex from one of my subordinates in my office, it wouldn't be a private matter or my personal business. I would be "FIRED" immediately!

I believe that if you are selling me a milk shake, a pack of cigarettes, a newspaper or a hotel room, you must do it in English! As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English!

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours. I think the police should have every right to shoot your sorry self if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word "freeze" or "stop" in English, see the above lines.

I feel much safer letting a machine with no political affiliation recount votes when needed. I know what the definition of lying is.

I don't think just because you were not born in this country, you are qualified for any special loan programs, government sponsored bank loans or tax breaks, etc., so you can open a hotel, coffee shop, trinket store, or any other business.

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.

I don't hate the rich. I don't pity the poor. I know pro wrestling is fake, but so are movies and television. That doesn't stop you from watching them.

I believe a self-righteous liberal or conservative with a cause is more dangerous than a Hell's Angel with an attitude.

I think Bill Gates has every right to keep every penny he made and continue to make more. If it ticks you off, go and invent the next operating system that's better, and put your name on the building. Ask your buddy that invented the Internet to help you.

It doesn't take a whole village to raise a child right, but it does take a parent to stand up to the kid; and smack their little behinds when necessary, and say "NO!"

"I think tattoos and piercing are fine if you want them, but please don't pretend they are a political statement. And, please, stay home until that new lip ring heals. I don't want to look at your ugly infected mouth as you serve me french fries!

I am sick of "Political Correctness." I know a lot of black people, and not a single one of them was born in Africa; so how can they be "African-Americans"? Besides, Africa is a continent. I don't go around saying I am a European-American because my great, great, great, great, great, great grandfather was from Europe. I am proud to be from America and nowhere else.

And if you don't like my point of view, tough."
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

ohh and if anyone disagrees and feels it merits taking a rep point please give your reasons, thanks

I can't think of any reason why you should lose rep points over this. If you agree with the quotes, thats fine. You're entitled to your opinion.
    Hopefully this stirs up some debate.
    In regards to "I believe a self-righteous liberal or conservative with a cause is more dangerous than a Hell's Angel with an attitude.", lets just say I agree. People with political opinions, left and right wing, including myself, tend to be a little too righteous and self-opinionated at times.
    In regards to Bill Gates. I actually applaud his efforts to set up a foundation to help the needy. And I think he's doing the right thing to control where the money goes himself rather than just handing donations to WHO or the UN. That way, less of the money is used up in bureaucracy. Gates has had a lot of bad press over the years, mostly undeserved. And, I say to him, well done and you deserve our respect for your efforts to make the world a better place.
    Anyway, lets see what others have to say.

Excuse me but who is Andy Rooney, is he the son of Mickey Rooney or what? What's his claim to fame to be quoted here so extensively?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

ive never heard of this andy rooney... who IS he?
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

andy rooney an old guy, who does news commentary on the tv show "60 minutes" on cbs.

okay... he seems to uhh be a comedian? i cant tell from written words, but spoken the way i think of them being spoken, he seems to know what he likes!
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Excuse me but who is Andy Rooney, is he the son of Mickey Rooney or what? What's his claim to fame to be quoted here so extensively?
    Like kitkat said, Andy Rooney is a grumpy old man who gives commentary on a wide variety of topics on the tv show "60 Minutes". I don't know if you people in countries other than the US get "60 Minutes". "60 Minutes" is a pretty good news type show that has been on for 20+ years. I usually agree with Rooney but I don't think his comments should be taken very seriously.

I agree with the part about people speaking english. If you want to come to this country you should speak english. The US was founded by english speakers (thanks to the British) and 99% of Americans speak english. During the late 1800's and early 1900's millions of immigrants came the the US and most of them did'nt speak english. Those immigrants learned english and became part of the mainstream population. If you want to speak spanish, german, chinese, ect thats fine but if you want to be accepted then speak english like 99% of the population does.

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by megotmea7
    Guns do not make you a killer. I think killing makes you a killer. You can kill someone with a baseball bat or a car, but no one is trying to ban you from driving to the ball game.
    what other credible uses are there for a gun ??

I think that if you feel homosexuality is wrong, it is not a phobia, it is an opinion.
    agreed.

I don't think being a minority makes you a victim of anything except numbers.. The only things I can think of that are truly discriminatory are things like the United Negro College Fund, Jet Magazine, Black Entertainment Television, and Miss Black America.
    very true.

When 70% of the people who get arrested are black, in cities where 70% of the population is black, that is not racial profiling, it is the Law of Probability.
    but what happens when 70% of arrested people are black in a community with 20% black people ?

As a matter of fact, if you want to be an American citizen, you should have to speak English!
    sounds reasonable. i came across many canadian citizens with very limited to pretty much no english ability at all.

My father and grandfather didn't die in vain so you can leave the countries you were born in to come over and disrespect ours.
    i am sure many Iraqis feel the same way! what does he think of that ?!

We did not go to the aid of certain foreign countries and risk our lives in wars to defend their freedoms, so that decades later they could come over here and tell us our constitution is a living document; and open to their interpretations.
    he probably seems to have the wrong understanding of the true reasons behind why the US government aids foreign countries.

and if u dont agree with me, please let me know !
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

what other credible uses are there for a gun ??
    first its our constitutional right to arm our selves. many find enjoyment from owning and firing guns(including me) for pure recreation and for hunting(not just rifles, it is pretty fun to try and hunt with a high powered handgun). personal protection, some ppl just feel better when they have a weapon in their house, helps them sleep at night . many consider it a hobby, just like driving, modifying, and owning fast cars, they are just as leathal(if not more) in the wrong hands and it is soo much easier to get a drivers licence than it is a gun i might add. and take a person, say me for example, i enjoy weapons off all types be it crossbows, bows, hand guns big or small, rifles, and shotguns, even my wrist wrocket is a blast, i dont go around shooting at people, holding up liquer stores, robing banks, firing wildly into the air, and i take the proper precautions when i am going to go shooting. does it make me a bad person just because i own these weapons and enjoy them? does the simple fact that i COULD go out in public and start opening fire at people justify making them illegal? it is shown that ppl that own legaly registered weapons are less of a contrabution to violent crimes. illegal weapons on the street are the danger mothers pettition gun laws about but what they do is tighten up the limitations on law abiding citizens not the criminals holding up the local 7-11 with that unregistered .22 . someone could just as easily go and buy a knife legaly and rob just as many establishments as someone with a gun, but its not reasonable to restrict knifes beyond the 3" limit so they go after the guns. i say get the guns off the street not out of the hands of people who dont break the law. but of coarse their that remote possiblity that a gun collector could go nuts and open up on a crowd with his vintage thompson mp40, so what they hell ban guns so theres no chance that will happen. and while yor at it ban cars that go over 40mph because grandpa could forget he is driving and mow'd down about 20 people ala last years farmers market incedent...

just read my post and it came off a little hostile, it wasnt intended that way

first its our constitutional right to arm our selves. many find enjoyment from owning and firing guns(including me) for pure recreation and for hunting(not just rifles, it is pretty fun to try and hunt with a high powered handgun). personal protection, some ppl just feel better when they have a weapon in their house, helps them sleep at night . many consider it a hobby, just like driving, modifying, and owning fast cars, they are just as leathal(if not more) in the wrong hands and it is soo much easier to get a drivers licence than it is a gun i might add. and take a person, say me for example, i enjoy weapons off all types be it crossbows, bows, hand guns big or small, rifles, and shotguns, even my wrist wrocket is a blast, i dont go around shooting at people, holding up liquer stores, robing banks, firing wildly into the air, and i take the proper precautions when i am going to go shooting. does it make me a bad person just because i own these weapons and enjoy them? does the simple fact that i COULD go out in public and start opening fire at people justify making them illegal? it is shown that ppl that own legaly registered weapons are less of a contrabution to violent crimes. illegal weapons on the street are the danger mothers pettition gun laws about but what they do is tighten up the limitations on law abiding citizens not the criminals holding up the local 7-11 with that unregistered .22 . someone could just as easily go and buy a knife legaly and rob just as many establishments as someone with a gun, but its not reasonable to restrict knifes beyond the 3" limit so they go after the guns. i say get the guns off the street not out of the hands of people who dont break the law. but of coarse their that remote possiblity that a gun collector could go nuts and open up on a crowd with his vintage thompson mp40, so what they hell ban guns so theres no chance that will happen. and while yor at it ban cars that go over 40mph because grandpa could forget he is driving and mow'd down about 20 people ala last years farmers market incedent...
    I know weve done this but it is fun. Im glad I dont have your constitution. IT seems like something you all go a nd hide behind every time you dont like what some one says. How about rational argument instead of quoting old doctrine. The analagies between cars and guns and their respective lethality(?) is trite. Guns are originally made to kill things. They have evolved into sports items because it is illegal to shoot most living things. Cars were designed for transport. They have evolved into thngs that kill people because some people cant drive them properly. Statistics show that most statistics are open for debate. They also show that there are an equal amount of opposing statistics. If you are happy for thousands of people you dont know, whs character you dont know, whos mental stability you dont know and whos future disposition you dont know, to carry lethal weapons designed for the efficient destruction of solid materials ( in your case human tissue) then viva your constitution. Id rather have less guns laying round for other potential nut jobs to get their hands on. Id take my chances with a knife or car. You can generally see them coming.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

just read my post and it came off a little hostile, it wasnt intended that way
    Hope you read mine in the spirit it was intended.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Rooney
    Yes, but killing someone intentionally, which most shootings are, with a car, or baseball bat takes much more effort and conviction than with a gun, so its not really the same is it?

I have the right "NOT" to be tolerant of others because they are different, weird, or tick me off.
    I hope I have the wrong end of the stick here, or he has crap knowledge of writing in the English language.

He is intolerant of people that annoy him.
    So, does that mean if you annoy him, or are different, or wierd, he will hit you, or kill you or something?

It doesn't really make sense.

Anyway, isn't there a leagal requirement to tolerate people, hence all the laws against assault, and use of offensive behavior etc?

Do people "NOT" have the right to be different or wierd?

I think the police should have every right to shoot you're sorry self if you threaten them after they tell you to stop. If you can't understand the word "freeze" or "stop" in English, see the above lines.

Ok, so not only is he intolerant of people who dare to be different to him, he now wants the police to shoot them.
    What about foreign tourists? should they be shot too?
    What about young children who don't understand "stop", or "freeze", are they fair game?

If he means criminals who are illeagal immigrants, which I think he does, even if he can't get the point across clearly, there is still no reason to shoot them.

Why not do what almost every other Western police force does, and arrest them, without killing them.
    They do that all the time in this country, it isn't rocket science.

I feel much safer letting a machine with no political affiliation recount votes when needed.
    He has never used a machine then. They don't lie, but they do break down/ malfunction.

...and risk our lives in wars...
    Fought in many has he?
    Or was he too busy shooting people who can't speak English?
    Maybe he did go to war, so that he could go and shoot lots of people who don't speak English.

I don't care if he is a comedien, all these old American "comics" seem to think that they can make these ignorant, inflamatory statements and people will agree because they think its supposed to be funny.

If he were a politician, people would be screaming for his blood

My verdict:
    I will tolerate his opinion, but I would prefer it if he kept it to himself
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 04-28-2004 at 07:48 PM.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information