Thread: Audi's plans until 2012

Audi's plans until 2012

A Dutch car website says to own Audi's production plans until 2012. I made a small summary of it.

March: Production A4 Avant
    June: Presentation facelifted A3
    July: Production Q5
    August: Production TT-S (270 hp)
    September: Production R8 V10
    December: Presentation / production hybrid Q7

January: Production A5 Convertible
    February: Production RS5 & Hybrid Q5
    March: R8 Targa
    June: Presentation A7
    July: Presentation Q3
    August: Production TT RS
    September: Presentation A5 Sportback
    December: Production A1

2010 - 2012
    2010: Production new A8 and start production new A3
    2011: A7 convertible, all new A6 and R4 (Porsche Boxster segment). In October A1 convertible
    2012: New A4 (facelifted version of the new one that just entered the showrooms)
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Does anyone know if the RS5 is going to be a V8 or V10 or something completely different? Also which (if any) of these cars is going to use a duel clutch gearbox?

I like where they're going.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    Does anyone know if the RS5 is going to be a V8 or V10 or something completely different? Also which (if any) of these cars is going to use a duel clutch gearbox?
    From what I've read it's going to be packing the 4.2 FSI V8, same as the RS4, because they want to make a bit more hard-edged and sporty like the RS4, rather than just stuffing a big engine in the front like the RS6.

As for DSG boxes, any of the models that have transverse engines would be able to be fitted with a DSG, but VAG have yet to develop one for longitudinally mounted engines (hence the R8 being manual only) so the V8s and V10s would have to wait until VAG finish developing the box.
    Last edited by 2ndclasscitizen; 12-06-2007 at 10:29 PM.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

The R8 is available with a flappy paddle gearbox, like the Gallardo.

And apparently Audi is supposed to be developping a 7-speed DSG gearbox for for longitudinally mounted engines, which they were previewed in an old silver estate concept, the name of which I can't quite remember (but I'm sure there was Quattro in it).
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post

And apparently Audi is supposed to be developping a 7-speed DSG gearbox for for longitudinally mounted engines, which they were previewed in an old silver estate concept, the name of which I can't quite remember (but I'm sure there was Quattro in it).
    Welcome back Ferrer! How long has it been? Good to see you alive and well again man!

Yes, but it's not a DSG.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Loook who's back!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    Yes, but it's not a DSG.
    That's true and I doubt this generation of R8 will get a DSG style gearbox. But I guess that for a clutchless gearbox the R-Tronic/E-gear serves the purpose.

In a sportscar smotthness is less important, and getting a flappy paddle gearbox as soon as possible to the market is really important for marketing and sales.

On the other hand in a normal car smothness does tell, and that's were the DSG comes to play. There was even talk of the DSG replacing completely the conventional torque conventer (and I guess the CVTs too) autos through the whole VAG, probably excepting Bentley and Lamborghini.

Other manufacturers are getting their act together, like Ford or Chrysler, and I think we'll see a lot of development in the coming years, not only with longitudinal applications, but with high torque applications too. One of the main weakness of the current DSG is that it can only take a limited amount of torque (I think it was 350Nm) and therefore it's not available for high performance cars like the S3 or the Leon Cupra.
    Visca Catalunya!

That's true and I doubt this generation of R8 will get a DSG style gearbox. But I guess that for a clutchless gearbox the R-Tronic/E-gear serves the purpose.

In a sportscar smotthness is less important, and getting a flappy paddle gearbox as soon as possible to the market is really important for marketing and sales.

On the other hand in a normal car smothness does tell, and that's were the DSG comes to play. There was even talk of the DSG replacing completely the conventional torque conventer (and I guess the CVTs too) autos through the whole VAG, probably excepting Bentley and Lamborghini.

Other manufacturers are getting their act together, like Ford or Chrysler, and I think we'll see a lot of development in the coming years, not only with longitudinal applications, but with high torque applications too. One of the main weakness of the current DSG is that it can only take a limited amount of torque (I think it was 350Nm) and therefore it's not available for high performance cars like the S3 or the Leon Cupra.
    I've heard those rumors the DSG (duel clutch) can't take large amounts of torque; probably the reason a bunch of Veyrons have already has new trannys put in. I didn't realize that (aside from the Veyron) VW is only pairing DSG with horizontal engines, for now. I really hope VAG continues to really develop the duel clutch because I drove it in the Veyron and the VW R32 and it is by far the best transmission I've ever driven.

Quote Originally Posted by NicFromLA View Post
    I've heard those rumors the DSG (duel clutch) can't take large amounts of torque; probably the reason a bunch of Veyrons have already has new trannys put in. I didn't realize that (aside from the Veyron) VW is only pairing DSG with horizontal engines, for now. I really hope VAG continues to really develop the duel clutch because I drove it in the Veyron and the VW R32 and it is by far the best transmission I've ever driven.
    Despite working on the same principle the DSG gearbox and the Veyron gearbox are totally unrelated. The gearbox in the Bugatti was specifically designed and made for that car by Ricardo.
    Visca Catalunya!

But the faster shift times are important to a sportscar, as I imagine is not having big shocks going through the drivetrain from jerky gearshifts.

That's a fairly poor effort from VAG then, the EVO X has a DSG gearbox as well (they call it an SST) and the X has over 400nm.
    – Hunter Thompson

But the faster shift times are important to a sportscar, as I imagine is not having big shocks going through the drivetrain from jerky gearshifts.
    You are right, however in this time of marketing and cost driven decisions having a flappy paddle nonsense is more important than actually being good.
    That's a fairly poor effort from VAG then, the EVO X has a DSG gearbox as well (they call it an SST) and the X has over 400nm.
    I don't think they have updated the gearbox since they first launched it. However I think they are working on a newer evolution with 7 speeds for transversal application which I'm sure will have a higher torque rating.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information