Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: No blood for oil, no corn for fuel

Ethanol as produced by brazil is also a terrible idea. They burn the cane fields berfore collecting. This is done to kill all the animals (lethal snakes and lizards) and so protect the farmers.This burning process produces so uch C02 that it almost evens out the effects of using ethanol in the first place!

Another downside is that they are cutting down the rain forest to create theplantations, thus further increasing the ecological foot print.

Also, with hundreds of million of peole dying of hunger ll over the world, earth, and especially productive earth should be used to make as much food as posible!! Feeding peple should be more important than feeding our goddamned cars!
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    i wish they'd use local sugarcane here to make some ethanol, not to replace petrol, merely to supplement it instead of sitting around going bankrupt and all. Making ethanol from an existing, rather important food source is a mistake; making it from sugarcane that really isn't doing much seems like common sense
    As far as i know there is a rather large ethanol plant just past brisbane thats being developed at the moment, or so i've heard any way. Either way like everyone has been saying ethanol isnt a great alternative and from what i just read niether is bio diesel, they both have the same problems of the cost of production not to mention they require a fair amont of energy to produce. I think i have to agree with csl177 that the only way to really get around the chemical costs of creating energy is to look to the sun.

BTW Ze turbo all sugar cane farmers burn their crops before harvesting because of snakes and lizards! I've watched in it here in Australia and yes the CO2 produced is significant but not quite enough to even up the costs of using ethanol as a fuel.

Have a go at this guy:
    TheCabin.net ·· Local to produce homemade biodiesel? 12/30/07

As written by UCP's only Hillbilly journalist. Look closely to spot the Formula One reference. You don't see many of those in Arkansas community newspapers.
    I'm erudite ;-)

good read there, quail, and nice to see that sort of thing popping up in your community. it woudl seem to me to be much easier to sustain in the relatively small towns in arkansas, then it would in a large city like Jax.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Thanks. Somebody called the Barraza kid the day it was published and donated the two 150-gallon tanks he needs. Anybody got a ratty old diesel engine they'd let him have?
    I'm erudite ;-)

Interesting read, Mr Quail. My brother produces his own biodiesel in his shed. I can't see how it would be too difficult to scale that up to at least cater for a neighbourhood. Less sure about a town, though.

Really nice to see some thought going in to operations like this, though.

Anyone else foresee him having a nasty "accident" near a Shell station anytime soon? Or is it just cynical old me?

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail View Post
    Have a go at this guy:
    TheCabin.net ·· Local to produce homemade biodiesel? 12/30/07

As written by UCP's only Hillbilly journalist. Look closely to spot the Formula One reference. You don't see many of those in Arkansas community newspapers.
    Sounds good.

Like to see him succeed at what he does and stick it to the oil companies sucking our pockets dry.

Thread Information