Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BF falcon XT or Mitsubishi 380 which would you buy?

BF falcon XT or Mitsubishi 380 which would you buy?

I have been looking at Falcon BF XT's and Mitsubishi 380's and am confused as to which would be the best daily driver family car.

I am a RWD freak so getting a FWD car would be a gamble for me but I have heard that the 380 is an exceptionally good car with plenty of power and refinement along with a modern new car feel to the interior.
    On the other hand the Falcon BF is also a very good car with the NVH upgrades over the BA but it still has that TAXI type look about it both inside and out (rectified with spoiler tint and XR6 rims and tyres)

The Ford has more power and is faster than the 380 but not that much faster in real world terms, the 380 is probably the nicer car to drive but the ford may be better if driven hard, when I get holidays and have some time I will perhaps test drive both and see how I feel, the problem is you can't push the car with a salesman next to you (fair enough it's not your car and it would be endangering his life to as well as others).

Has anyone here had the opportunity to really drive both of these cars?

The other car I've been considering is a VY SV8 which I will fit with LPG vapour injection, but they are quite old now and there is the piston slap issue with LS1's but I still like them.
    I would also be putting the Falcon or the 380 on gas injection if I purchased either car instead of the SV8
    Last edited by muso; 12-22-2007 at 07:31 PM.

I'd say go for the 380. You'd probably be able to get a nicer specced 380 for the same price of an XT. I've been in a 380 recently and it's very nice to sit in and nicely refined. However, my old man who normally drives a RWD car said the turning circle is pretty rubbish.

Basically, go drive them both and see which you like. Don't bother trying to go quickly in either of them, there's no point. Go buy an XR6 if you wanna do that.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Motorsportnerd i believe has driven both, and rated the BF and 380 about equal. Since then though, the series 3 and BF2 have been released. I personally am starting to turn off the BF2 headlights - they only really look good for the Fairmont Ghia. The rest of the range doesnt have the bodykit to go with them.

Either way, with Mitsubishi's instability and a new Falcon due in 6 months, i wouldnt buy either new.
    I am the Stig

The heart says RWD Falcon but my head (and wallet) lean toward the 380

Afaik a 380 is slightly faster than the basic Ford 6, and on LPG has 175kW vs 157kW (iirc) for the factory-gas BF

Not sure what you can squeeze out of a Ford dealer but have you seen those $29k driveaway deals (before haggling) on 380 'Platinum' manuals equipped with sunroof, sports suspension, mags & bluetooth etc? Whether manual or auto that's very tempting, and moreso in light of their reputation for quality and huge 10 year powertrain warranty, imho

http://www.mitsubishi-motors.com.au/...0_platinum.pdf

AS fpv_gtho points out, there's big value to be had in a 'slightly used' buy - apart from Falcons & 380s there's also those unique AWD Magnas to consider. But in the new-car context and in long-term ownership, a gas 380 should (I think) also prove to give very inexpensive motoring over the long run

I'm also unsure if Mitsu's factory dual-fuel is suitable for manuals (?) but would agree with your preference for LPG - even with the current price surge. The Falcon ZF auto is apparently an excellent gearbox, but so too is the 'adaptive' Mitsu 5-speeder

Like everyone says you would get more for your $$$ with the 380..

I haven't driven the 380 yet, I have driven the BA many times, You will have more fun in the ford more upgrades more mods it's local and has plenty of mods on offer.

Are you considering a used or new car?.

Don't worry about piston slap in the VY's it was a VT issue.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Sorry guys I should have mentioned that I would be purchasing these cars from the Govt. Auctions where both MK 1 BF XT's and Base model 380 ES are going for between 16-17K with about 70,000 km's on them.

So I would have to buy what is available rather than being able to twist a car dealer's arm for some better options.

As for going fast, I looked at a 2003 BA XR6 (Mercury silver Looked sweet) and was happy to have it sitting in my driveway until I drove it, it was noisy and the drive train felt less (or maybe equal to) my 99 model VT which has over 200,000 km's on it, sorry but the BA XR6 was a very uninspiring drive for me, however I didn't cane it but didn't really want to either, to me it was a sexy looking Taxi, that's all, don't get me wrong, I love the BA XR6 and even have a poster of one on the wall at work, best looking Aussie car

I am assuming that the BF XT (BF XR6 is out of my budget) would be a much more refined and rewarding drive following Ford's $$$$$ spent on NVH for the BF, but the 380 would be also even more refined but the FWD thing keeps nagging me saying "don't do it, you know you'll be selling it in 6 months".

But then I remember driving a brand new 2001 TJ Magna advance and to this day was the nicest car I've ever driven and hell, did it go, and they say a 380 is just a "super Magna", so it must be fantastic. But rather than buying the TJ Magna I bought a VX (ex-cop) instead which I never really liked except for the LSD in the wet (Gotta love RWD) but wind up front windows (GMH lousy buggers)
    Last edited by muso; 12-22-2007 at 11:15 PM.

Drivena few magnas mainly the VRX and it was a good drive, the magna has a massive turning circle but you get used to it. The mangas are great value but resale may be a issue. The BF seem fairly good, only driven a few wagons but seem a reasonable thing to drive.
    Its really up to you both are good car with various good points. If you want a V8, maybe look at a BA V8 3 valver, they seem fairly good and fairly torquey moreso than the 4v.

Crisis on these forums had a SV8 Commode and loved it maybe PM him about SV8s. If your getting gas PM me, my brother does gas at his auto electrical workshop, they have installed vapour injection systems with good results.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

depreciation on the 380 would be my biggest concern...
    The Datto will rage again...

Thanks Charged for your help and offer with LPG Vapour injection assistance, how quiet and refined did you find the BF to be compared to the BA? Have you driven a 380?

Blue Supra, I'd be purchasing from Govt. Auctions for a good price because of the depreciation 05 and 06 380's and BF XT's with about 70,000 km's are going for under $17,000.

P.S. Supras are hot!

An SV8 LS1 with LPG injection would be a great fun car as well as a family car, I just worry about piston slap, the boat anchor 4L60e trans and insurance (but I am over 40)

Falcon XT V8's are quite rare and expensive when you find them, nice car though, powerful engine and RWD=GOOD
    Last edited by muso; 12-23-2007 at 02:34 AM.

Ive only ever driven stationwagons mate, I work for Telstra but the BA/BF are the povo packs XT but the engine-trans seems refined enough, cant really comment on overall quietness as our cars have a helipad on the roof(ladder and conduit carrier) so they get a bit of wind noise. They are a good drive though. Drove a few VRX 380s and was impressed by the overall refinement and they turned in well and hung on well in the twisties for a FWD. They have a slightly claustrophobic feel with the high waistline but I like em. Havent driven any ES versions but they would be the same except less fruit and slightly softer suspension and lower spec tyre/wheel package.

All the cars are good, either, Holden, Ford or Mitsi.. the decision is up to you in the end. Whatever you get you wont be dissapointed

Cheers
    John
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Id love to see an XT V8 falcon. Didnt think you get a v8 in anything less then an XR8.

Mate you can buy ex demonstrator ES 380s here (canberra) for less then a new Lancer. $18990, with about 2000 kays on em. So id seriously consider lookin at that rather then ex govvie. Being a public employee, i rap the hell out of the govie cars and im not the only one...

Having driven an LPG BA wagon without the stuff on the roof. Theyre plenty quiet and very comfy, enough guts to lug the fam and gear around in. Biggest complaint though is the massive blind spot caused by the spare wheel being stuck up against the back drivers side window.

Pez pack (omega) VE is exactly that. Pez. Dont get one. Get a BF.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    Ive only ever driven stationwagons mate, I work for Telstra but the BA/BF are the povo packs XT but the engine-trans seems refined enough, cant really comment on overall quietness as our cars have a helipad on the roof(ladder and conduit carrier) so they get a bit of wind noise. They are a good drive though. Drove a few VRX 380s and was impressed by the overall refinement and they turned in well and hung on well in the twisties for a FWD. They have a slightly claustrophobic feel with the high waistline but I like em. Havent driven any ES versions but they would be the same except less fruit and slightly softer suspension and lower spec tyre/wheel package.

All the cars are good, either, Holden, Ford or Mitsi.. the decision is up to you in the end. Whatever you get you wont be dissapointed

Cheers
    John
    I can.. I can even show you.. Good for in BA 7.9 0-100 and stick a Exhaust on you will press the low 7's. But they do feel weak off the mark and slow to react at times when you wont instant power, Like say the VP, When i floor it i get instant go if it drops it drops if it doesn't it's still in the right rev range, The VT is different more like the BA it seems to think more then just answer your foot.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by muso View Post
    Falcon XT V8's are quite rare and expensive when you find them, nice car though, powerful engine and RWD=GOOD
    In 2005 a friend bought this (ex-cop) XT V8 auto with 60,000 kms from a dealer for $20k, to tow her horse float

Extra torquey and goes really well. This one is very strong from idle and lays an impressively long LSD burnout (without any engine braking) and definately has that effortless 'big V8' feel. Only two minor issues since purchase, and has since been fitted with dual-fuel for 15% less mpg but 50% less fuel costs. Early 3-valve XT V8s were also available with 5-speed manual and iirc were about as quick 0-100 as an XR6T
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi. I have driven numerous Falcon XTs - all BA models and also the BA XR6. I have also driven both the 380 VRX and the 380 ES.
    FPV GTHO is right - I rate them about equal.
    Here's my full impressions:
    380 VRX: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...road-test.html
    Falcon XR6: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...road-test.html
    And I wrote an extensive write up on both in comparison with the newer Aurion and Commodore VE:http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ested-msn.html

Also, back in July I was looking for a new car myself. I considered both the Falcon and the 380, along with numerous other cars (incl. new cars like Focus/Mazda3, used luxury such as the Volvo S60T).
    In the end I settled on a 2003 Fairmont BA with 69,000km on the clock, purchased for $16,000 plus a three year Ford manufacturers warranty and a set of used 17-inch Fairmont Ghia alloys fitted. In your price range, you could certainly consider a Fairmont rather than a pov spec XT.
    Anyway, the reason I bought the Fairmont, rather than the 380 and despite rating both cars as roughly equal, is due to my long term preference for Fords and because I felt that the 380ES at a slightly higher price (at that time - they're cheaper now) was too basic in comparison. And I've had no reason to question my choice since then.

However, either Falcon or 380 would be a good buy. Both should give a good run. As the others have said, drive both, decide which one you like and buy it. Consider dealers as well - many dealers will do very good deals on both 380 and Falcon. And let us know what you decide.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Yeah, I've got a VT and if it picks up 1st gear it goes well, but if you miss that 1 st gear kick down it is very average, most Fords EF EL or AU will out gun it due to superior torque spread.

I'd imagine that a mitsi 380 auto would be neck to neck with a BA ford but I think a BF Ford would nose ahead of either and that's with the 4 speed BTR, if it was the ZF 6 speed it would be no contest. On the ford forums there is a member with a pretty stock BF futura (perhaps CAI and K&N filter) who got 14.8 secs at the track for the 400M, aapparently those BF's really move, Fords money was spent on engine and trans refinement and improvement, I hope they did anyway, otherwise the BF's front bumper bar must be the most expensive bumber bar in the world

I still say that the ultimate Aussie car is a V8 ford or Holden with a manual gearbox (I'm a wannabe, I've never owned a V8) SV8's are a real muscle car as is the XR8 especially the AU XR8=under rated, but they'd need LPG injection unless you own an oil company or strike oil in your back yard.

Thread Information