Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Turbo Datsun

Turbo Datsun

What is occouring everyone?

My father informed me today he may be intrested in turbocharging his 120Y It currently is a fresh a14 (rebuilt 2 years ago) motor in what would more then likly and quite sadly be the best kept original 120y in the country and has lepard skin seat covers (ex mums car)

We already have the turbo its an old mitsubishi cordia item we found lieing around and we also have an old webber carbie we intend to use as a suck through setup (i will mention we just want to have a look so we can learn about it also i will mention we want to build this from what is readily avialable and most of all cheap also dads currently converting the studebaker to fuel injection so once he figures that out well more then likly try some on the datsun). The chances are good well have to convert it back to manual (its auto atm) mostly because 1st gear in the old datsuns are vacume operated Well also have to drop the compression the only thing im having trouble convincing the old man to do is uprate the old cast pistons hes sure theyll last at 4-6lbs of boost he intentds to run them at (rods and cranks fine at that point their forged and very over enginerred in the A series motors)

While we are in the planning stage im mostly having a shoutout for an intercooler any kind will do well figure out a way of making it fit :P

And lastly why is this in australian cars? yeah sure its a jap car but its being built very australian we bodgying it up for reasonbly cheap Itll work its the learning curve thats a killer here also im hoping thisll grab charged attention as hes pretty well versed at this
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

mate i looked at turboing my datto, easier option is to supercharge.

However you can get genric intercoolers for less then $200 these days, youll need to cut out some of the front bumper and fit it in there.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post
    mate i looked at turboing my datto, easier option is to supercharge.

However you can get genric intercoolers for less then $200 these days, youll need to cut out some of the front bumper and fit it in there.
    Yeah i know of the superchargers from a 4age would work fantastic on this motor with fabrication (which we can do ourselves) would work great but we dont have one of them doing nothing

The old mans very set in his ways hes looking for a freebie (or close enough) I beleive we can find one but it may take some time
    Lifts heavy things and hits hard......also eats as much as 2/3 people and sleeps 10 hours a day!

well then id recomend Welcome to OzDat and MAD DAT MOTORSPORT theyll have everything you need.
    The Datto will rage again...

Seen this it reminded me of something. Used to have a photo and I must say it looks pretty good

allclassifieds | View Car

You could always go Buick V6, Seen a stock Rolla with one flew did 13 1/4's
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Does a 120y have enough structural integrity to support turbocharging and prevent Chassis Twist?

</fast & Furious reference>
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

No. probably be alright

If holden was chicken with over 320kw on the Old model that would be scary.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden View Post
    You could always go Buick V6, Seen a stock Rolla with one flew did 13 1/4's
    where not as likly able to pass rego as easily with that one.

There would of been alot of work gone into it and I dont know if my father would enjoy driving that as a dayly driver.

This Datsun will have so much torque itll twist the chassis off the line.

Or even better I could have my laptop on the seat with a screen saver warning me of imminent manifold danger and i can curse and swear at it

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    Does a 120y have enough structural integrity to support turbocharging and prevent Chassis Twist?

</fast & Furious reference>
    If you seam weld the chassis and fit a roll cage, a guy ran a 120y Coupe with a SR20DET, very quick car. Adam macrow used to have one as well except it was a sedan.

Marks Shorts 120Y coupe

Adam Macrows 120Y sedan
    Last edited by charged; 01-01-2008 at 05:48 AM.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

ha ha - win.

Imagine showing up to an event in a 120y and pwning the competition. people would be completely confused.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Yeah ours is a sedan.

I didnt think it would be an issue just how much hp could a cordia turbo,large webber carb on a 1.4 litre datsun make? we assumed 100ish flywheel hp would be a good starting point untill where comfterble and start doing more and actually allocating a budget too it (and doing thinks like work on the head and such).

Similars been done before a guy I used to work with had a 720 kingcab ute with an fj20et in it and all he told people was it had a hole in the muffler very light and mild and somewhat stealthy mods and mundane looks made it a very effective sleeper.
    Last edited by Falcon500; 01-01-2008 at 06:01 AM.

gotta love the ghettto intercoolers that run out the headlight over the front bumper and back in throught hte other healdight. lol!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    ha ha - win.

Imagine showing up to an event in a 120y and pwning the competition. people would be completely confused.
    Mark took his 120Y to the drags one night and a few V8 knuckle draggers were giving him grief about the race numbers, flares, airdam etc. When it ran a 11.2 quarter with circuit gearing they soon shut up
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    If you seam weld the chassis and fit a roll cage, a guy ran a 120y Coupe with a SR20DET, very quick car. Adam macrow used to have one as well except it was a sedan.
    Some TV show managed to force a VQ motor into a 210. Bet that must have been fast.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Thread Information