Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 59 of 59

Thread: Audi R8 V12 TDI?

  1. #46
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    10,179
    While we're on the topic of diesel, BMW released this press release (I don't think it deserves it's own thread):

    Diesel, it's not your fault

    Many years ago, you were created with the best intentions.
    The weight of the world's needs were put on you.
    And you served a purpose - you got people from point A to point B.

    But you were loud. You were smoky.
    And let's face it, you stunk.

    No one was able to harness your power.
    No one was able to make you truly fuel-efficient.
    No one was able to reduce your emissions.

    Until now.

    Introducing BMW Advanced Diesel with BluePerformance.
    Now you can go more than 500 miles on a single tank.
    Now you can emit less CO2 than any other diesel in your class.
    Now you're our most powerful, cleanest-burning six-cylinder diesel ever.

    And now you're coming to America.
    America's first diesel with a variable twin-turbo inline-six engine.
    Finally, America will learn why over 60% of our sales in Europe are for diesel.

    Diesel, welcome back.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    372
    Quote Originally Posted by QuattroMan View Post
    Most of these guys buy 500-600+hp cars,cant even drive for sh!t.....just to say my car has 500hp,that is it....
    That is just not true...pure garbage information formulated by envious people.

    A majority of the people that own these expensive sport cars actually like fast cars, and a huge chunk of these people invest in advanced driving lessons and track memberships to better enjoy their cars. Normal people like yourself can't afford these lessons so you wouldn't know who shows up at these lessons.

    There are a higher percentage of people that "can't drive for shit" amongst the auto-enthusiast message board population than amongst the exotic car owner population

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    TUJUNGA, CALIFORNIA U.S of A.
    Posts
    4,208
    Quote Originally Posted by -What- View Post
    That is just not true...pure garbage information formulated by envious people.

    A majority of the people that own these expensive sport cars actually like fast cars, and a huge chunk of these people invest in advanced driving lessons and track memberships to better enjoy their cars. Normal people like yourself can't afford these lessons so you wouldn't know who shows up at these lessons.

    There are a higher percentage of people that "can't drive for shit" amongst the auto-enthusiast message board population than amongst the exotic car owner population
    takle it EZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ!!!! I said most not allllllllllllllllll!!!

    P.S. I'am not envious of anyony...if i want one,,,,i can get one.....ROOKI
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,495
    By the way I'd like to know how will the fuel consumption be if you drove like a sportscars should...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    While we're on the topic of diesel, BMW released this press release (I don't think it deserves it's own thread):
    Nice but I still wouldn't want a sportscar (or a sport orientated car) with my engine.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg, Holland
    Posts
    27,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    By the way I'd like to know how will the fuel consumption be if you drove like a sportscars should...
    May I advise you to READ a little bit about the fuel consumption and the number of laps on the Le Mans track of the R10..(unless you don't think that that is a sportscar of course...)
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,495
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    May I advise you to READ a little bit about the fuel consumption and the number of laps on the Le Mans track of the R10..(unless you don't think that that is a sportscar of course...)
    Good point but do you think they are comparable?

    I think that somewhat in the real world this car won't be as frugal as it's supposed to be.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg
    Posts
    9,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Good point but do you think they are comparable?

    I think that somewhat in the real world this car won't be as frugal as it's supposed to be.
    Well the R10 makes more horsepower and torque than the petrol engines and can run as many laps or maybe even more with a 10% smaller tank.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

    (Ted Joans)

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    brisbane - sub-tropical land of mangoes
    Posts
    16,252
    i've never driven a diesel car i didn't realise that until right now when i started wondering about this car.. i have no comparison for it
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,495
    Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    Well the R10 makes more horsepower and torque than the petrol engines and can run as many laps or maybe even more with a 10% smaller tank.
    Yes but the R8 is going to be a lot heavier and probably with worse aerodinamic properties than the race car.

    Also compared to the petrol R8 it is turbocharged and it has an extra 1800cc. I wouldn't be surprised if it got easily into double figures when it comes to fuel consumption.

    My point was, it's not going to have diesel hatchback like figures. Possibly better figures than the petrol (almost surely) but will they be by much?
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg, Holland
    Posts
    27,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Yes but the R8 is going to be a lot heavier and probably with worse aerodinamic properties than the race car.

    Also compared to the petrol R8 it is turbocharged and it has an extra 1800cc. I wouldn't be surprised if it got easily into double figures when it comes to fuel consumption.

    My point was, it's not going to have diesel hatchback like figures. Possibly better figures than the petrol (almost surely) but will they be by much?
    It will most likely have much better mileage than a Z06, despite its tall 6th gear, at the same it will be able to get better acceleration in top gear too.
    Of course it is not going to get the mileage of an A3, but if you look at what the Q7 with this engine is supposed to achieve, you may be able to do the calculations...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rozenburg
    Posts
    9,669
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Yes but the R8 is going to be a lot heavier and probably with worse aerodinamic properties than the race car.
    The R10 also has a larger frontal area than its competition because of the bigger radiators required and is still a lot more frugal. I think the nose of the R8 is not this 'industrial' for no reason.

    Also a 500 bhp supercar is obviously going to get a worse mileage than a 200 bhp hatchback. The energy is not drawn from the air; not even in a diesel car.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

    (Ted Joans)

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    5,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Yes but the R8 is going to be a lot heavier and probably with worse aerodinamic properties than the race car.
    If you think R10 gets BETTER gas mileage than the R8(the road car) then you are clearly dreaming, R10 is an effcient race car, but thats still in race car terms, we are talking like 6-7 MPG for a race car as opposed to 25+ MPG for a road car.

    In their respective bracket, which is what Wouter I believe is referring to, the diesel technology is proving to be the more efficient one with equivelent-to-superior performance...
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Barcelona
    Posts
    33,495
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac View Post
    If you think R10 gets BETTER gas mileage than the R8(the road car) then you are clearly dreaming, R10 is an effcient race car, but thats still in race car terms, we are talking like 6-7 MPG for a race car as opposed to 25+ MPG for a road car.
    I just said they weren't comparable.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Mars
    Posts
    931
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    While we're on the topic of diesel, BMW released this press release (I don't think it deserves it's own thread):
    About time to. In my city I have seen more E320 CDI and Blutec than the comparable E350 now. Only qualm is no manual transmission with 335d.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. all cars all years 0-60 and 1/4mile time
    By matheus in forum General Automotive
    Replies: 51
    Last Post: 04-26-2015, 06:29 PM
  2. Really useful performance listings...
    By Egg Nog in forum Technical forums
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 06-20-2013, 10:45 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2005, 05:10 PM
  4. Audi Teams Face Tough Task At Le Mans
    By QuattroMan in forum Racing forums
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-19-2005, 10:55 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •