Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plan to buy Nikon D40

Plan to buy Nikon D40

Yup, I plan to buy Nikon D40 and upgrade from the Nikon point and shoot that has served me for about the last 5 to 6 years. Since I am a noob and have never really touched an SLR, about how much should I pay for the Nikon? What do I really need to know before I start using one? Important equipment that I should purchase along with the camera? What types of lenses I should be using?

Thanks in advance!

Pay with money... The D40 doesn't have an autofocus motor in it - so any lens you have that does not have its own autofocus motor will not autofocus. I'd look at a used D70 before I'd buy a D40 - just my $.02 - might check around over at nikonians.org
    ...Utah! Get me two...

i wouldn't buy D40 either, you'll fast get dissatisfied with it. get some more advanced stuff and try to learn to use it's potential
    12 cylinders or walk!

i bought a D40 and don't for a single second regret the purchase. It's a good early step up on the DSLR ladder and explains everything so well. I really like mine.

I'd look around for the D50 or D70 second hand. before jumping into the low end D40.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Quote Originally Posted by nopassn View Post
    Pay with money... The D40 doesn't have an autofocus motor in it - so any lens you have that does not have its own autofocus motor will not autofocus. I'd look at a used D70 before I'd buy a D40 - just my $.02 - might check around over at nikonians.org
    Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    i bought a D40 and don't for a single second regret the purchase. It's a good early step up on the DSLR ladder and explains everything so well. I really like mine.
    Quote Originally Posted by whiteballz View Post
    I'd look around for the D50 or D70 second hand. before jumping into the low end D40.
    Hmmm.... I'm not going to rush out and buy it immediately, so I'll look into it. Thanks for the comments and tips!

Quote Originally Posted by Street_Dreamer View Post
    +1. I easily feel my pictures have taken a huge step from my older camera. Come April, I can't wait to see how she does with motion shots.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master View Post
    +1. I easily feel my pictures have taken a huge step from my older camera. Come April, I can't wait to see how she does with motion shots.
    I guess you're another satisfied owner, along with Street Dreamer? What's your take on the views of the other members?

I plan to step up to a higher model maybe later on. The D40 I've been hearing has been a good beginner's DSLR, which is exactly what I'm interested in since I've never handled any higher end cameras at all.

Quote Originally Posted by nopassn View Post
    No, that's the D40x. It can only autofocus with lenses that have an in-lens AF motor. The D40 has an internal autofocus motor (and I think it has the contacts for in-lens AF motors as well.)
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen View Post
    No, that's the D40x. It can only autofocus with lenses that have an in-lens AF motor. The D40 has an internal autofocus motor (and I think it has the contacts for in-lens AF motors as well.)
    In that case I stand corrected - I was pretty sure it was the D40 and not the D40x, my bad. Still, if it were my money - I'd rather buy a gently used D70 or D70s with low actuations instead of a brand new D40 or D40x... but that's just me... What matters most is that the buyer is happy with their purchase and enjoys taking pics.
    ...Utah! Get me two...

+1 dude, I'd recommend a 2nd hand D70 as well. The Sony 6mp is awesome, and I've had a go with a D70 and it was a ripper of a camera.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master View Post
    You'll most likely be surprised. Make sure you get a good Zoom lens tho... I took about 600 F1 pics (Quali and race day) and the only problem is it's too far away from my camera, so pics are small and when you zoom into something far away the whole imagine becomes slightly grainier (a characteristic of every camera i've used though, the D40 handles it better than most).
    If I had a zoom lens it would have been perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    I plan to step up to a higher model maybe later on. The D40 I've been hearing has been a good beginner's DSLR, which is exactly what I'm interested in since I've never handled any higher end cameras at all.
    My photographic ability has improved ten-fold since buying the Nikon. Really helps with that with the descriptions of what everything does. I won't feel the need to buy another camera for at least another 2 years at least. D40s are also dirt cheap now, so if the D40X is cheap where you live, you could go for that if megapixels are a worry for you (which they are not for me - in fact, i bought a D40X and then returned it that evening and bought a D40 - not worth an extra £110 or $220-ish, but the diff is likely much smaller now). You won't regret it imo
    Last edited by Street_Dreamer; 02-27-2008 at 09:59 AM.

I bought a D40x last July and I don't regret it for a second. For me it's being the perfect DSLR to start with and, in 2 or 3 years, I'll move to D300...Having the possibility to buy new and buyind similar in 2nd hand doesn't make sense for me. But that's just me...By the way: D40x has just been replaced by D60, so probably d40 and d40x's prices will go down...
    orangeferrari.blog.com

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ant View Post
    I bought a D40x last July and I don't regret it for a second. For me it's being the perfect DSLR to start with and, in 2 or 3 years, I'll move to D300...Having the possibility to buy new and buyind similar in 2nd hand doesn't make sense for me. But that's just me...By the way: D40x has just been replaced by D60, so probably d40 and d40x's prices will go down...
    Yup, that's why I decided to buy now.

Thanks for all the tips guys.

Any reason in particular why you're going for a Nikon, other than the fact your past experience with them has been good?

If not I'd suggest checking out a Canon 300d, or Digital Rebel as they're also called. Couldn't be happier with mine as a first time SLR buyer too.

Thread Information