Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Automotive Photography Competition #145

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    with this you hit the nail on the head, because I am pretty sure that your specific picture does not show what the eye would see......
    Honestly, it's closer than the JPEG that came out of the camera (aside from the minor fixes like removing the magazine, obviously).

EDIT: Besides (and again), this contest is about the photos, not "what did you see today".
    Last edited by pat_ernzen; 01-09-2008 at 04:08 PM.
    www.Desert-Motors.com - mag.Desert-Motors.com

Quote Originally Posted by LotusLocost View Post
    I feel that a competition with high amounts of editing allowed, would fit better on a photography forum than a car forum where the majority of semi good hobby-photographers with small editing skills.

But of course, someone will always seek the arena where they find themselves on the top.
    You're argument is that editing penalizes "amateurs". My argument would be that not allowing editing penalizes those that are able to do it. Who SHOULD be entering these contests? People who just bought their first camera and just took their first pic? I enter the contests here as I do ~95% automotive photography. I've entered the general photography comp once and the automotive one 7 time (IIRC). I don't know of many photography sites that have regular automotive photography competitions and I find them fun.

EDIT: The thing I don't understand is that some people seem to think those who edit and win would never have a chance of winning without editing and that editing is in some way "cheating".

There are people entering photos that have nicer cameras/lenses/etc than me, but I'm not going to complain about it.
    Last edited by pat_ernzen; 01-09-2008 at 04:15 PM.
    www.Desert-Motors.com - mag.Desert-Motors.com

Personally I think pat's shot even unedited is still the best entry so far anyway. The post-processing isn't giving him some unfair advantage, it's enhancing the photograph (like anyone could do with a bit of practice) to create a better overall piece.

For the most part, when I edit my photos I am just trying to recreate the original scene closest to how I viewed it. Photos rarely turn out similar, because the camera doesn't capture and expose an entire scene the same way an eye does. Like in the darkrooms before digital, to Photoshop today, half the art of the print was processing the raw image to a final piece. That is why, especially now in 2008 I think allowing post-processing is the way to go. It's pretty much a part of modern photography, and like capturing an image, it takes skill as well. You can easily mess up a photo with edits.

Now, please, I'd like to continue with entries. If you'd like to continue this discussion, I've stickied the competition discussion thread. That's the place for these conversations.
    i was waiting on a moment, but the moment never came. all the billion other moments, were just slipping all away. i must have been tripping, we're just slipping all away. just ego tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelin View Post
    Personally I think pat's shot even unedited is still the best entry so far anyway.
    I agree there, so it proves that the need for editing isn't as great as people seem to think....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    It's not yet 11:59 on Saturday in my time zone, so I think I'm still allowed to submit.

Timothy (in VA)
    Sunset
    December 1, 2007
    Sony DSC-S500
    No editing
    Attached Images Attached Images
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

I choose to enter this photograph because of the action and movement displayed in it. I personally like the mix between the smoke created from the tyres in preparation for the next corner and the speed kept through a slow shutter speed.

Sauc3
    Dorifto
    Driftfest, 16/12/07
    Konica Minolta Dynax 7D
    Attached Images Attached Images

....Gran Turismo?

As I said before Dutchie, love that shot.
    Weekly Quote -

Dick

Thread Information