9 18.37%
  • Porsche 911 Turbo

6 12.24%
  • Porsche 911 GT3 RS

13 26.53%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Sports Cars $100K +

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Diesels in general, not this machine right here.
    I was referring to the normally aspirated diesels you mentioned in your post. N/A diesels don't have high power and torque figures.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I was referring to the normally aspirated diesels you mentioned in your post. N/A diesels don't have high power and torque figures.
    as an example the only NA diesel engine in VW programme is the 1968 cc SDI for the Golf. It has 75 BHP and 140 NM of torque.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    the majority of the LSx family of engines is sold in trucks, so you may open a can of worms with your last sentence....
    I never knew that actually. I think with LSx engines it is safe to assume due to their power to weight ratio and high performance that they are designed with performance in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    I see your point and from a first principle design point of view you could see it that way. Obviously in a really high end sports car you might not expect an engine shared with an SUV (think Ford GT -ok, slightly modified), point is it still works! when they put the rover k series engine in the lotus elise you could say has that regular car engine been designed to work in a track orientated car thats going to be used at typically higher revs.
    I suppose if it works... It is just so... inelegant.

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    An engine with 500 bhp and 1000 Nm. How can that not be designed for a high performance application?
    Well, yeah I suppose it is made for high performance - but possibly high performance in an SUV, not a sportscar. It'd be like putting the Cayenne Turbo's engine in a sportscar. Maybe effective, but inelegant (that is the word that comes to mind) and reeking of cost savings. Good for the company, but not necessarily good for you.

Hell, maybe I'm wrong about all this. Maybe it doesn't matter what the application is as long as the engine is good. I dunno, my brain and gut tell me that there is a difference though.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4 View Post
    as an example the only NA diesel engine in VW programme is the 1968 cc SDI for the Golf. It has 75 BHP and 140 NM of torque.
    So, for comparison's sake, there is a 1984 cc I4 in the City Jetta here (cc's unknown). It has 115 hp (86 kW) @ 5,200 rpm and 122 lb.-ft. (165 Nm) of torque @ 2,600 rpm. In the manual, fuel consumption in L/100 km is 9.8 city, 7.0 highway, while in the automatic it;s 9.9 city, 6.9 highway.

The diesel however, may have a superior powerband shape and better mileage.
    Last edited by Kitdy; 01-15-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Aston Martin for no other reason than because it's an Aston. I know it's probably the worst car listed around a track but that's how much I like them.

Thread Information