9 18.37%
  • Porsche 911 Turbo

6 12.24%
  • Porsche 911 GT3 RS

13 26.53%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Sports Cars $100K +

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    On what premise are you basing this of of?
    In the fact that the highest specific output normally aspirated diesel had 40 something hp/litre.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    In the fact that the highest specific output normally aspirated diesel had 40 something hp/litre.
    I'd bet this engine would have more hp/L than that.

I'd bet this engine would have more hp/L than that.
    I doubt they would be over by much though. But anyway that's speculation. In fact as long as specific output turbodiesel engines go this isn't exactly top of the line either.
    Visca Catalunya!

I doubt they would be over by much though. But anyway that's speculation. In fact as long as specific output turbodiesel engines go this isn't exactly top of the line either.
    Who knows if it was even designed for a high performance application? It debuted in the Q7 concept. If it was designed with more focus on the SUV application than the sports car application, I gotta think that performance is somehow compromised. It is generally a bad idea to have an SUV engine in a sports car.

the army hummer has a big na V8 diesel...AFAIK

Who knows if it was even designed for a high performance application? It debuted in the Q7 concept. If it was designed with more focus on the SUV application than the sports car application, I gotta think that performance is somehow compromised. It is generally a bad idea to have an SUV engine
    why? power is power, torque curve is a torque curve. look at the difference between the SC V8 in the XKR and Range Rover Sport, perhaps a wee ECU tweak to suit vehicle dynamics..very similar (except sump modification for off road..little things like that)
    Last edited by jediali; 01-15-2008 at 12:21 AM.
    autozine.org

It is generally a bad idea to have an SUV engine in a sports car.
    The Viper has a truck engine is that is worth anything....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    why? power is power, torque curve is a torque curve. look at the difference between the SC V8 in the XKR and Range Rover Sport, perhaps a wee ECU tweak to suit vehicle dynamics..very similar (except sump modification for off road..little things like that)
    My point was that it is unlikely that a truck engine is gonna be pushed to the limit or capable of being pushed to the limit in the way that a sports car engine is. Were this engine designed solely with performance in mind, it would probably rev higher, produce more power and be lighter.

My point was that it is unlikely that a truck engine is gonna be pushed to the limit or capable of being pushed to the limit in the way that a sports car engine is. Were this engine designed solely with performance in mind, it would probably rev higher, produce more power and be lighter.
    the majority of the LSx family of engines is sold in trucks, so you may open a can of worms with your last sentence....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I see your point and from a first principle design point of view you could see it that way. Obviously in a really high end sports car you might not expect an engine shared with an SUV (think Ford GT -ok, slightly modified), point is it still works! when they put the rover k series engine in the lotus elise you could say has that regular car engine been designed to work in a track orientated car thats going to be used at typically higher revs.
    autozine.org

Who knows if it was even designed for a high performance application?
    An engine with 500 bhp and 1000 Nm. How can that not be designed for a high performance application?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen View Post
    An engine with 500 bhp and 1000 Nm. How can that not be designed for a high performance application?
    Some marine diesels have 500hp and even more torque yet would not make this high performance.
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    when they put the rover k series engine in the lotus elise you could say has that regular car engine been designed to work in a track orientated car thats going to be used at typically higher revs.
    funny you should mention that - just before an early elise went past, sounded very nice, bit growly, hard to imagine that same imagine being used in econocars!
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Without turbos, diesels would put out miserable hp/L figures.

I have yet to see a naturally aspirated diesel with good hp/L in relation to gasoline engines.

I would like to see it attempted.
    Gotcha. Now that you tell me that, I now notice that N/A diesels have huge torque but horrible horsepower. I never realized it.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Gotcha. Now that you tell me that, I now notice that N/A diesels have huge torque but horrible horsepower. I never realized it.
    I wouldn't call 70Nm/litre exactly huge.
    Visca Catalunya!

I wouldn't call 70Nm/litre exactly huge.
    Diesels in general, not this machine right here.

Thread Information