Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How a differential works.

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor View Post
    That what I thought, but then what leads to the consistently asymmetric power delivery?
    Well since we are talking about an open differential then I would say that maybe the difference in half-shaft lengths makes it easier for that wheel to get the power...

But that could only be true for FWD cars...
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Spools> LSDs

^^^^ what he said or do a diy spool by welding the spider gears
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv View Post
    Spools> LSDs
    On Scalextric cars, for sure
    Even on a drag race a spool would force you to come way off the power while corecting the direction for safety surely ?

Computer-controlled diffs !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Even on a drag race a spool would force you to come way off the power while corecting the direction for safety surely ?

CVTs
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Not allowed in my class full spools or locked diffs are alright, they do give a little more push on turn in but they are quite controllable and you can drive the cars fairly well on the rear tyres. Cant be too greedy on the throttle in the wet, as if found out a few times

here a video of what can be done with a locked diff, watch the RX7 driven by Adam Ubergang going round a corner at morgan park in queensland
    http://www.therapymasters.com.au/rac...ationalsad.wmv
    Last edited by charged; 01-18-2008 at 06:48 AM.

Having rallied with adjustable diffs I have to say I had a different view when they were screwed right up. Scandinavian flick the only way to get round tight on tarmac Do you guys have fairly open corners ?

The short clip seemed to be more drift than race

Are you not allowed to use "plain" LSDs ? Then adjust them up so they only release grip on slow changes ?
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by hightower99 View Post
    Well since we are talking about an open differential then I would say that maybe the difference in half-shaft lengths makes it easier for that wheel to get the power...

But that could only be true for FWD cars...
    I would also add things like weight and balance. If you have one wheel with consistently less weight on it that could make a difference in both FWD and RWD. Also, if we are talking about a Celica old enough to be RWD it is quite possible that we have some tweak in the chassis or drive line that causes inconsistent application of power to the rear wheels.

Actually, didn't the RWD Celicas use sold axles in back? If that were the case, the torque of the drive prop shaft causes the axle to twist in one direction (reaction to the prop shaft torque). Any of the drag races should be able to tell you about that. That axle twist results in more load to one wheel than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by culver View Post
    I would also add things like weight and balance. If you have one wheel with consistently less weight on it that could make a difference in both FWD and RWD. Also, if we are talking about a Celica old enough to be RWD it is quite possible that we have some tweak in the chassis or drive line that causes inconsistent application of power to the rear wheels.
    There is definitely something going on, I just wish I knew what it was with certainty. Interestingly I see the same behavior in my van so I don’t think there is anything too abnormal with the Celica.

Actually, didn't the RWD Celicas use sold axles in back? If that were the case, the torque of the drive prop shaft causes the axle to twist in one direction (reaction to the prop shaft torque). Any of the drag races should be able to tell you about that. That axle twist results in more load to one wheel than the other.
    The third generation had both a SRA and a semi-trailing arm IRS, I have the IRS.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not."

I used welded gears in the MG autox car, I like how it handles with them vs open. You don't have to back off on the gas in a drag car to make corrections, sure it helps, but its not necessary.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

But with a locked diff if you keep the power on under acceleration then the drive pushes the car in the direction it's pointed and not where the front wheels are pointed More traction on the rear due to weight transfer. Scandi-flick unloads one of the wheels and allows it to slip and so you can control the direction of "thrust"

IN the MG, how do you reverse into garage/across line around a marker ? Definately troublesome

Having rallied with adjustable diffs I have to say I had a different view when they were screwed right up. Scandinavian flick the only way to get round tight on tarmac Do you guys have fairly open corners ?

The short clip seemed to be more drift than race

Are you not allowed to use "plain" LSDs ? Then adjust them up so they only release grip on slow changes ?
    Yeah its a bit of drifting, that is footage of a astate rond and he had a sizeable lead and was showing off, the footage only had about 20% of it.

I can run a LSD and trying to source one at the moment, Ithey are bloody expensive and I need to convince the wife I REALLY need one
    Heres some pics(crap phone pics) of the nephews diff, it broke the welded spiders, it has been in the car 13 years.

Have a new centre being done as we speak, the axles were fine which is great as they are specially machined to suit the width of the axle.
    Attached Images Attached Images

But with a locked diff if you keep the power on under acceleration then the drive pushes the car in the direction it's pointed and not where the front wheels are pointed More traction on the rear due to weight transfer. Scandi-flick unloads one of the wheels and allows it to slip and so you can control the direction of "thrust"

IN the MG, how do you reverse into garage/across line around a marker ? Definately troublesome
    The wheel just hops a bit when you turn.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Thread Information